Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Can I just say that I am loving this forum? Everyone here is so talented and inspiring me to get my butt in gear this year.

I would love some feedback on my latest project. Should I leave the wood posts natural or give them a polished look by painting them?

The posts are tomato stakes that I used in our garden, so they have a nice weathered patina. But I was thinking maybe painting them orange/purple/green for a more festive look...? Each stake would be its own color, and alternate colors when I drive them into the ground. I also thought about painting them all black. I just can't decide!

I cut out the skull mouths and will put a tea light in each. I painted my battery window candles so those will light up too. All have magnets that hold them to the posts, so easy assembly and packing away (or if I want to use my stakes again in the garden). Also will be making more chain (from pipe insulation) that will hang from post to post, maybe about 3-4 feet between each stake.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
black light queen
2,630 Posts
you asked for opinions ... & personally I would "distress" the wood more so that it looks older, not so new, so that it has some "character" ... but that is what I would do in my setup ... along with making the skulls black light reactive ... but that's what i'm all about, lol :)

you may, or may not, want to add some pieces in between the wood making them look more like a fence? possibly add some webbing between the posts ...

there is so much that can be done, but without knowing what atmosphere you want its a bit difficult ... are you more cutesy or gory?

btw, what you have looks good, so don't take my suggestions as criticism ... you're way ahead of 99.99% of the rest of the population :)

welcome aboard!

amk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like they said it really depends on what you want. If you want a more kid-friendly house then colors are ok but I still prefer the natural wood look. If you're making a more adult theme then I'd make some gore coming out of those skulls like someone ripped the head off, peeled the skin, and stabbed it on a pole. The drippier the better! But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My first choice would be to paint black and add more chains as you said and add pieces in between as annamarykahn suggested to give it the look of a wrought iron fence. My second choice would be to leave them natural. My third choice would be the Halloween colors. Whatever you decide is going to be great because they look great now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I decided that I want to go in a more "naturally creepy" direction, so painting colors is now out. I can't really do gory since there will be smaller children around...even though it would look cool). I messed around with the skulls this morning...I love ya Dollar Tree but sometimes your stuff needs a little more depth. I am extremely happy with the results! I think they really blend nicely with the wooden posts.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to distress the wood even more, like annamary suggested. It seems like everything that I do adds greatly to the overall look, but I'm afraid to overdo it at some point. I love the idea of adding more layers in between each post, so I'll work on that.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS! No way would I ever be offending by any criticism. There is always a better idea out there!

post4.jpg

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wow, distressing the skulls really makes them pop! You got them from the Dollar Tree?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nice fence! If you're still wanting to paint the wood, take a piece of scrap and work with it first. You can have color and creepy at the same time. Mix your paint to about 1 part paint to 3 or more parts water. It will act more as a clear stain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes Greenwick, they are from the Dollar Tree. All I did was use a mix of black and chocolate brown acrylics, mixed in with a little water, painted on with a foam brush in sections, and wiped off. I went over a few sections more than once, to get the color really in the deep spots. Easy peasy! I had a bottle of oak translucent gel stain left over from another project, so I wiped that over them too... it added a little more aged feel to them. Then a spray sealer. I had cut out the mouth area so I could put tea lights in them, but I might do glow sticks if I want color, not sure yet.

I also picked up a few of the Dollar Tree's hands, and used the same technique. It just makes everything look a little more real and less plastic. For a $1, they are great starters!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice fence! If you're still wanting to paint the wood, take a piece of scrap and work with it first. You can have color and creepy at the same time. Mix your paint to about 1 part paint to 3 or more parts water. It will act more as a clear stain.
That's a great idea slcjeeper! That would give me an aged color look. Very subtle!

·
Registered
460 Posts
kre8tivkeltik - that sounds awesomely easy! I have been meaning to get some wood staining products to try out, so when I do I'll try something like this

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Love the distressed skulls! And I think the chain adds a nice touch too. If this were my fence, I'd probably paint it black, mostly because I love the look of a "wrought iron" cemetery, even if it's fake. Another option is to weather the wood even further and then add bones - either randomly or in a pattern. You don't have to cover the fence with them - an arm bone here, a leg bone there, a skeleton hand or foot - there are lots of ways to make them, or certainly you can buy some. Right now my Dollar Tree is selling "servers" that are a skelly hand with two arm bands attached. They might be fun to age & attach to different spots on your fence.

Just some thoughts! If you want to see the "servers/salad tongs" I'm talking about, go to the Dollar Tree thread on the main Halloween Forum and look at today's posts - I posted a picture of some I bought.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you did an awesome job distressing those skulls! I love how they turned out and it's a great idea to insert a tea light in the skull.

I'm thinking along the lines of Jenn&MattFromPA and and would paint them black for a wrought iron look. I think that would really make the skulls "pop" and stand out and would go with the "chain". With the wood now, the skulls tend to blend in, but it all depends on your theme.

Would like to see them finished and lit up!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts