Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every summer, my neigborood of 123 homes has a community garage sale. This year, it is scheduled for August 8th. I am wondering if I should set up some Halloween decorations and print up some fliers to let people know I will be building a fun, kid-friendly, yard haunt.

So, here are my questions:

1. Is it right to crash a community garage sale and advertise your own haunt?

2. Should I just have some fliers available? Or should I also put up some decorations?

3. What are some good ways to get the word out for a yard haunt?

·
Registered
132 Posts
It would be a great idea to advertise at the yard sale.

Come September I would also put up flyers on bulletin boards, etc. Be sure to post flyers in the window at local Halloween stores .

I wouldn't get too serious about advertising it until September, most people will either forget or not take it serious until they are in the "Halloween spirit".

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
As they say.."There's never a bad time to advertise"..And August is a good time to remind people that Halloween is right around the corner!
Does your community garage sale have an organising commitee? if so..You might want to run it by them first if you plan to put out a display, but handing out leaflets or flyers sounds like a great idea.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
I`ll never forget this - one year we had Cops, COPS!!, going along the line-up leading into our Haunt passing out Flyers advertising THEIR Haunt which was set up some five miles away.

I`ll bet anything OUR Haunt was better than theirs.

Advertise...ABSOLUTELY!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
As an experienced Yard sale holder and buyer, I think its a great idea. Who knows? You may find a few closet Halloween junkies interested in helping out...

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
yep, do it and I love the idea of taking the cider shack out for a test run and cider sold or gifted to the yard sale attendees to further the impact of the advertising!

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As they say.."There's never a bad time to advertise"..And August is a good time to remind people that Halloween is right around the corner!
Does your community garage sale have an organising commitee? if so..You might want to run it by them first if you plan to put out a display, but handing out leaflets or flyers sounds like a great idea.
The garage sale is s sub-committee of the HOA. Since I'm a part of the HOA I mentioned it to them and they had no problem with it. At one point, they were thinking of borrowing the cider shack as a HOA both to great people!!!

I thought that was hysterical.

·
Registered
375 Posts
TK421
We have a community news paper I put my yard haunted ,and a big sign in front my house main road... I go to schools and day care and supermarket in the community..Haaaaaa TV news 13 too

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TK421
We have a community news paper I put my yard haunted ,and a big sign in front my house main road... I go to schools and day care and supermarket in the community..Haaaaaa TV news 13 too
Wow! That's a lot to do.

In the last few years, I've put up fliers and gave out fliers for my daughter to deliver to her friends at school. I've also been able to get an article in the local, local paper.

This year I hope to get a spot of news coverage from one of the local stations, and maybe get one of the larger papers to write up an article. I also hope to do fliers for local business' windows and a notice in the community news letter.

A friend of mine actually does theatrical publicity and she was going to see if I could get more coverage by partnering with a local charity. In years past I've had a donation bin for food, but this year I might actually go in with a charity like Northwest Harvest and see if we can piggyback some publicity that way, too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts