Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building this somewhat sizable tombstone to house my light controllers and I think I need something on top. At first I was thinking a cross. Now maybe an angel or something? Anything to make it less doghouse-ish LOL. I know others have done angels before, where is a good source? Big Lots, DG? What else could I throw up there? Thanks!

Photo_Aug_07_12_55_50_PM.jpg

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you use to hold it down and keep that shape?
I kerfed the underside every 1.5" or so then a single drywall screw and a 10 lbs weight either side till the glue dried the next day.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I always look at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, JoAnn's fabric, pier1 or any kind of craft store. Garage and estate sales are always good sources. I even like Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Ross (Florida specific, I think?). You can find all kinds of different things to use. I see something like a couple of small cherub's laying down or one of those pineapple looking decorations in the middle.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
You could make it a child's stone and use monster mud with a baby doll sleeping on his tummy with a blanket...you could even tuck a small stuffed teddy bear in his arms. I know some people frown against the children themed stones but the curvature of the stone just brought the peaceful image of a sleeping child to me....I know...I'm demented lol

·
Registered
573 Posts
I would go to craft stores and flea markets etc. and see if I find something that catches my eye, have a picture of it with you. I have had several crafts where I kinda just stumble upon the finishing touches that way. Looks great so far. :)

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
Nice looking tombstone/utility box! Have you thought about creating cracks in the top of the tombstone whereby a colored light and maybe fog can escape from?

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
As for garden/cemetary statutes I've shopped at just about all the places mentioned. I'll throw in Tuesday Morning too if you have one in your area. I have found that Ross Dress For Less (national chain) can have some of the best prices. Bought a lot of cool statute/busts/figurines from there for haloween use. Now that a lot of discount retail stores are clearing out summer, you can probably find a good deal on them there. Check the weekly fliers for stores like Walgreens, CVS, Rite-Aid Pharmacy as well. I think Rite-Aid is still selling their garden at 50% off. They had an advertised sale a week or so ago and I got the impression from the manager at one of the stores that the prices would stay at that level now. In a few weeks they may take further discounts as they clear it out.

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you can't find a statue how about a cradle of flowers grunged up like they have been there for a long time. I know at our local grave yard they have a dumpster and through them away all the time. So if it don't freak you out to go grave yard dumpster diving you could get one free :)

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I think some dried moss on top with a pair of big ravens and a blue or red LED spotlight aimed just right. :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've had great luck at a local thrift store. You could add matching vases at each end, either painted to match the stone. They would look great with dead flowers. (I spray paint cheap faux flowers to look dead. Leaving them out in the elements actually improves the look!) Thrift stores are also a great source for cherubs, wall plaques, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts