Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He guys, so last yr I put together a sign for my cemetery, I was limited budget and didn't get to do exactly what I wanted. Here was my initial design I created:

Well that didnt happen because of budget, here is what I ended up with:

Structually I need to fix it because I used a quark board for the sign, it was cheaper and about the right size, but has poor structure stability.

The advice I'm looking for, is should I just build a new one, if not then I feel I should repaint this one to give it a more realistic weathered appearance. I just don't know what technique I should go for, any advice would be much appreciated!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Well i guess that still depends on your budget. The top sign is very cool and if you could build it the way you envisioned it, i would say build it. The sign you ended up with is nice too and it works. For me personally if i could afford to do the dream sign that would make me very happy then i would try to do it. You know if you tackled it and pulled it off and got the look that you were trying for in the first place, think how proud and happy you would be for doing it.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,855 Posts
I could see redoing it. If it was me, I'd scrap the letters and get new ones in a more elegant or creepy font - that font seems almost too happy for graveyard signage. The posts are great, tho.

You've definitely got a little time! :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well at night with fog and lights, I would think it looks fine. If I was going to try and add something to it. I think I might put a full sized skeleton leaning against the post, with his thumb out hitch hiking. Or may use some type on vines and flowers to give it that erie feel. But I am thinking that this is a old cemetery that has been forgotten. If you are trying to make it look like a new active one, then I do like Frankie Girls advise. The letters do remind me more of another generation.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You could separate the sign from the posts, run a support beam across the top, and hang the sign with chains - like a swinging sign. For an added "abondonded" look, have only one chain connected, and the sign hanging slightly tilted by only one chain.

To add to what others have said with accesories, maybe add some shredded cheesecloth, torn black plastic bags, a crow prop attached to the top, endless possibilities!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I could see redoing it. If it was me, I'd scrap the letters and get new ones in a more elegant or creepy font - that font seems almost too happy for graveyard signage. The posts are great, tho.

You've definitely got a little time! :)
my thoughts exactly. That and I'd try rubbing some actual dirt on the white of the sign, maybe mist it down with some water for that dirty looks instead of the paint. The Paint looks good....but it just needs a little more kick.

As a Gore-hound.....I'm always up for the idea of blood. Can't go wrong with blood :)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Gotta say, I'm onboard with rebuilding the sign and using a better font, but keep those posts!!!

There is another thread on this site Custom Haunt Sign Lettering which identifies a business that can cut letters per your specifications. Since you still have some time before Halloween, I would send out for really good letters in the exact font you want. That will make the sign look really good -- and a good build should last you for years and years.

But keep those posts!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I'm defintely keeping the post. All I did was take a standard 4x4x10 had them cut in half and screwed in some fence toppers they had and painted them black.

I will definitely use those again, but for look and stability I think I will redo the sign part, I remember seeing that post about the the company that will cut out the letters, thanks for the link. I will definitely let you guys know what I come up with.

I'm thinking about maybe having letters missing from the sign and just having the weathered outline left so you can still read it. Orignally it was in the yard so you can see it from the road but I'm thinking about moving it into the cemetery, though no final decisions have been made.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
The sign works...save your money for different props....unless of course, you really really really want to redo it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have decided that I will be re-doing my cemetery sign. The first one from last yr, just does not look how I wanted, it does not look realtistic or rustic. Plus it is not sturdy, it uses a quark board that just will not hold up. So I have a new design that will use the post from the old sign and wood from a weathered and worn kitchen table, I hope to do this this weekend, so I should have more pictures after that.

Here is a picture of the old sign:

and here is a picture of the design, hopefully I can make it look right, a can of black paint, a can of white paint and some sand paper is all it should take, hopefully

*I'll be stoked and give bonus points to anyone who knows the relevance of the year.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so we took an old round table that was nice and warn and cut three parts of the circle off and are using that for the new sign, the stencils I had were too big, so I won't be able to finish it till this weekend, also the white will get a black wash so its not so bright, I put it up cause I'm impatient and wanted to see how it looks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I like your first sign. However it looks like the population is 27 crossed out and you have 26 above it. If I am not mistaken it should be 28. The population in a cemetery only gets larger. People only check in they never check out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I like your first sign. However it looks like the population is 27 crossed out and you have 26 above it. If I am not mistaken it should be 28. The population in a cemetery only gets larger. People only check in they never check out.
Unless somebody escaped and is coming to haunt you !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts