Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Creepin' It Real
2,038 Posts
I have bought from DC a number of times, and in general I am pleased. They ship reasonably quickly, pack well, and off tons of cool stuff in one place. Prices are often quite high on items they don't make themselves, so always shop around. In fact, it's not uncommon for them to "clearance" an item at the same price other online sources sell for regularly.

My biggest issue has been the condition of used merchandise. They always, or nearly always, use pictures of the item when it was new and then include some brief notation that there is some kind of damage. Whatever they say, assume that the damage is considerably worse than whatever the description would otherwise lead you to believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have ordered from him in the past and also placed a order at this years transworld. Two custom props, delivered in May look great! Highly recommend!!!!
Facebook: unspeakable
Twitter : unspeakablehaunt
Instagram: unspeakable haunt
Unspeakablehaunt.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought an awesome witch from them..shipped fast packed well and reasonable shipping cost.
Great looking and quality prop..I will buy from them again!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently took a drive to visit Dappercadaver. It was a fun visit but they are geared way more towards rentals than a retail store. The staff is really friendly and it is a neat place to check out. Some of the heads they sell are really good. IMO the body parts are not as impressive as catalog pics show.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorely disppointed with these people. Many of the items I received looked nothing like the pictures on the web site. Pair of kidneys, $40.00 look human size on web site, ones I received were tiny. Prop tongue looked real on site, received basically the tip of a tongue. "Burnt hand" prop was literally a $5.00 Chinese made vinyl arm (they sell for $11.00) covered with some sort of glue and was poorly painted. You could even see the fake blood drips of the cheap arm under the bad paint job! They charge $50.00 for the "burnt" version. Total ripoff. I will never order from them again. They had great communication until I complained about the quality, have not heard a word since. I will post pictures later of what I received versus the pictures on their website. I had higher expectations from a company I spent about $1,000 with.

Joe

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pictures attached of some of the issues I had with my order, about 70% of it was garbage. As of yet, no replies to my requests for RMA / refunds. Buyer beware, they definitely dress up their web site to draw you in, but they do not deliver.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
The burned arms don't look so bad to me, personally, but what the heck is going on with the meat chunks?!?!

I have no opinion of this place as I've never been, just visited their website and seen lots of TV spots and YouTube stuff.

I hope you get it all resolved though, I would definitely be pissed about the meat chunks... O_O

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I was there I did notice the body part and heads were very inconsistent. If I was going to order anything I would be sure to ask them to send pics prior to shipping. I think everything is hand made in house for the most part.

·
Registered
47 Posts
DH and I work in film industry as fx artists. We have bought from DC in a pinch- their stuff is actually very well priced for the film prop world because if I buy a leg from them for $100 I don't have to make a $400 mold to get 1 leg. That being said, we do buy from them, reseam and repaint most of what we have gotten from them, but we have 4k cameras looking close up at stuff. For a haunt, especially a home haunt it is pretty pricey. we try to make all our own stuff with our company or revamp other things. Sometimes making your own mold is way more economical if you need more than one of something!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
I have bought from them in the past and for the most part have been very pleased with what I bought from them--giant ants, giant cockroach, foam tools, a vulture, leeches-- for example.

Two things I was not 100% happy about was once as part of my order I bought one of those knifes that disappears. Small purchase maybe on sale cuz I think it only was a dollar or two. Everything showed up but that. Called them expecting them to send it out and the guy who I spoke to said they had probably sold out (it was still on their website and continued to be) and I had paid for it but they never sent another one out or even gave me credit for it. I let it go since it was just a few bucks and not worth my time beyond the call.

The second item was also a sale item. A severed head. The photo on their website was not a blood splattered one or gory, just one that was screaming with his eyes closed. Paid maybe $30 something I think. What I received was not the head pictured in the photo. This one was blood splattered, mouth open but eye area looked bruised or something (maybe even the eyes were supposedly gouged out). I called them, this time spoke to a woman and I told her my neighborhood has lots of young kids and I purposely ordered the one pictured because it was normal looking for the most part. Planned to add a body to it for a prop. She apologized and said they had changed molds and hadn't updated the site. She did offer that they could make a new one and not paint it with blood if I'd like. No offer to send back and they'd pay postage (which I felt they should have since they didn't ship what I had really ordered based on their website). I appreciated the offer for a customized one in exchange but the more I thought about it didn't want to pay to ship the bloody one back. Decided I'd just put makeup on him to cover his blood but the last issue did leave me with a bad experience.

I have noticed that even their sale stuff has gotten more expensive. Some of the props clearly are manufactured elsewhere and may be rentals they are getting rid of although I'm just guessing. I know on some of the sale mdse you could either buy it outright or rent it. If I painted my own props, I would probably appreciate the fact that sometimes they offer unfinished props. They have a nice variety of stuff. Some of it seems more expensive new than what I've seen in the retail stores. The leeches I ordered where freshly made and the fumes when I opened the box were quite strong. The odor eventually disapated. Kind of reminded me of some things you buy from China that reek when you open the sealed packaging. They were nice looking props, looked realistic although they weren't 3D but cut in half and hollow. That was BTW mentioned on the website description so no surprise.

They have items you won't find elsewhere. It can be a hit or miss thing I guess but despite my two above issues I would still buy from them. Wish I lived in SoCal to actually be able to visit their store.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts