Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG-20121009-00091old radio.jpg
I have acquired an old, table top radio. The radio does not work and is quite distressed looking.
My original plan is to remove the internal components and retain the shell of the radio. I would then insert an iPod docking station. I have a Halloween playlist from the 30's, 40's and 50's. The songs have that old time sound to them (poor quality). My scene would include some old furniture, a flashing lamp, and a Bucky skeleton rocking back and forth. It will be activated by a motion sensor.

My question is this: Should I refinish the radio and use it as an everyday docking station or keep it old and ratty looking? I'm somewhat of a furniture restorer. As you can tell, I'm undecided on this one. Any opinions or insight would be appreciated.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,431 Posts
I'm like you , furniture refinishing as a hobby also. I would refinish the case and see if I could get the radio working also........

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
If you enjoy the refinishing, I'd go for it! You look at the exterior of the Haunted Mansion, or the details in the Tower of Terror, it all seems pristine. Unless it fits a specific theme, I don't think it's necessarily creepier to have things look dilapidated. Dust and spider-webs help though.

It's a great looking radio.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you were going to use it as a prop, then I wouldn't want to refinish it. You have the skeleton which suggests to much age. You have the old school songs that suggests age. Doesn't seem to me that a old-as-new radio blends in. If anything, use it in old shape until after HW, then restore it for everyday use.

Personally, I'm thinking the old music, the bucky, and the radio covered in cobwebs could go a long ways as a good prop...even if just for one year. Or, you could "antique" the clock for HW even after you restore it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dont yyou dare refinish that thing
gut it on your ipod record some old radio programs get audacity then use a white nose generator and then roll some stuff backwards omg i just gave myself an idea
Ha! I like your enthuiasm. Maybe I'll have it play an iPod...and then have it interrupted by some spooky effects.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
I like the idea of leaving it as is so it appears it has had a rough life or was neglected for a long time but still plays music from it's own era - kinda reminds me of those "haunted objects" that were the plot of each Friday the 13th The Series hour long shows.

·
Registered
76 Posts
DO NOT refinish it!!! But, two things you may want to do: add a flicker bulb inside it to make it look like tubes are glowing and add some knobs (painted water bottle caps will work). Looks awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts