Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've done several free-standing outdoor projection screens now, including a GIANT one at our last Haunted Trails at Oscar Scherer State Park. (www.halloweenhauntedtrails.com) I've used PVC (too flexible in the wind), timber bamboo poles anchored into the ground with rebar (worked really well and can be set far away from screen area so you don't see them) and also used heavy duty fishing line to anchor to distant trees (used this method for the giant screen) :) The fishing line trick worked great though you have to use ping pong balls or something in the corners to keep it from tearing.

For the giant screen, I actually scored a huge amount of free screening material that people here in Florida use to screen their pool cages or lanais. They throw away the old stuff so you can get oodles of the stuff for free. In other areas, you may want to try contacting companies that do window/porch screening to see if you can get some for free. Fabric types that also work great, organza and tulle. (50% coupon at Joann's goes a long way) or window sheer curtains on sale. You can glue window screen material together with a glue gun (hella time consuming), but the seam disappears pretty well in the dark.

Best of luck! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've used the AtmosFX Hollusion material for several years now. I have one outside for month at a time for at least four years now. Last year we used one on the gate and one on a PVC black frame in the middle of a dark section of our front yard. You can see in the video the gate and at the end of the video a Skull that is the second screen.
The material is actually very durable. On the PVC, we use TARP clips with Zip ties every four to six inches. You also want to make sure you tie down your frame. It will take off like a kite. On the Gate which is wood, we just use the thumbtacks that came with it. We also use the Projector material both the cloth and plastic like material. We have tried other material such as shower curtains and not have had as great of an effect. Take a look
We use the Screen material for the TV. It is not as transparent as the Hollusion material. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've used the AtmosFX Hollusion material for several years now. I have one outside for month at a time for at least four years now. Last year we used one on the gate and one on a PVC black frame in the middle of a dark section of our front yard. You can see in the video the gate and at the end of the video a Skull that is the second screen.
The material is actually very durable. On the PVC, we use TARP clips with Zip ties every four to six inches. You also want to make sure you tie down your frame. It will take off like a kite. On the Gate which is wood, we just use the thumbtacks that came with it. We also use the Projector material both the cloth and plastic like material. We have tried other material such as shower curtains and not have had as great of an effect. Take a look
We use the Screen material for the TV. It is not as transparent as the Hollusion material. Hope this helps.

You wouldn't happen to have a daytime walk thru pics or videos do you ? Thats a pretty awesome setup. Did you build your own boo crew ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
That looks pretty dang good. Were you able to have the hollusion closer to the ground ? What material did you use ?
I used the Atmosfx Hollusion material. It stretches a bit when you put some weight on the bottom. To keep it close to the ground I just cut the metal uprights to about 6' above the ground.

Also, to keep it secured in the ground, I bought some 3/4" metal electrical conduit and cut it to about 3ft. I pounded this into the ground about a foot or so and then removed it to clean out the dirt. After that I put it back in the ground Use a block on the conduit if the ground is hard so you don't bend it. Then all you have to do is slide the 1/2" conduit into the 3/4" conduit and it stays pretty secure. Plus it makes putting up at the last minute pretty easy.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I used the Atmosfx Hollusion material. It stretches a bit when you put some weight on the bottom. To keep it close to the ground I just cut the metal uprights to about 6' above the ground.

Also, to keep it secured in the ground, I bought some 3/4" metal electrical conduit and cut it to about 3ft. I pounded this into the ground about a foot or so and then removed it to clean out the dirt. After that I put it back in the ground Use a block on the conduit if the ground is hard so you don't bend it. Then all you have to do is slide the 1/2" conduit into the 3/4" conduit and it stays pretty secure. Plus it makes putting up at the last minute pretty easy.

Mine was maybe a couple of inches above the ground but I could not get it to look like the Atmos video where it looked like they were coming out of the ground itself. Were you able to accomplish that ? How did you position your projector ? And was it a short throw projector ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You wouldn't happen to have a daytime walk thru pics or videos do you ? Thats a pretty awesome setup. Did you build your own boo crew ?
No but will make sure we get some daytime this year. We really did setup same day, took my own kid door to door while my neighbors watched my yard and then took it down at mid night. We used the 3dForm and tied them with black string to a hedge to keep them level.

·
Registered
15 Posts
No but will make sure we get some daytime this year. We really did setup same day, took my own kid door to door while my neighbors watched my yard and then took it down at mid night. We used the 3dForm and tied them with black string to a hedge to keep them level.
Correction, the gate and pumpkins had been up for a month. Tombstones, skull and witch hut went up same day. I was reminded by my boss. All I know it was a blur of excitement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine was maybe a couple of inches above the ground but I could not get it to look like the Atmos video where it looked like they were coming out of the ground itself. Were you able to accomplish that ? How did you position your projector ? And was it a short throw projector ?
I didn't need to keep mine that low because the screen was behind the fence. So nobody really noticed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I want to create a Hollusion in my yard. Actually, in the middle of my yard where there is nothing to anchor the sides and top and bottom of the Hollusion material.

My questions is:
Has anyone done this successfully?
What did you use as a framing material that was strong enough to hold the Hollusion material tight and thin enough to not disrupt the illusion of a free floating apparition (or whatever you choose to project) in your open yard?

Thanks in advance for ideas!

Scarab
I wish I still had the picture, I do a cemetary scene in my yard and the gateway into the cemetary was perfect to hold the material so I could back project and evil spectre of Death rising from the ground. The frame work is buried into the ground and holds up well in different types of weather.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I want to create a Hollusion in my yard. Actually, in the middle of my yard where there is nothing to anchor the sides and top and bottom of the Hollusion material.

My questions is:
Has anyone done this successfully?
What did you use as a framing material that was strong enough to hold the Hollusion material tight and thin enough to not disrupt the illusion of a free floating apparition (or whatever you choose to project) in your open yard?

Thanks in advance for ideas!

Scarab
How about building a facade wall. I understand that you want a clear look but you need to hide the projector. So build the wall as far back as possible so the projection image is as big as you want it. Hide the projector behind the wall. Then, out of the top of the wall go up 4 to 5 foot with electrical metal conduit then use a 45 or 90 elbow. Then add the vertical piece of conduit so the screen is the right distance away. Then use fish line to tie the screen to the conduit and use heave[y duty stakes in the ground to make it tight. The conduit will be about 12 feet off the ground and the color is grey and much small diameter than PVC. (Because for the height and the smaller size of the conduit and the color it should not be so visible) If conduit starts to bend buy a larger diameter pipe and stick a small diameter inside the larger piece. Make sure the wall is stable use sand bags or blocks so the wall does not move

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you weren't going to build an entire frame and instead use pole spread out with it strung between them what would you use for the poles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would still use the metal conduit . They come in 10 ft sections with fittings. Use 1 inch conduit and slide in a piece 1/2 inch inside of it. Check it at the store for right fit. Buy a stick of rerod used for concrete that fits into the the small piece of conduit. Cut the rerod in half and pound it in the ground halfway then slip both pieces of conduit over it. This should hold the base. The problem is keeping the width of the top the right size. You can use heavy duty fish to to tie it back to the house. If the house is to far you can tie them to the ground like a tent (Trip Hazard) You may still need a piece of conduit between the upper part of the conduit to keep the shape. Post pics when done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It makes the conduit twice as thick and it will not bend as much. You can try it with out it at first. Also if you need the cross member to keep the shape on the top use the small conduit to keep the shape. Try and get a tight fit of the piece you slide together for less slop. Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was think about the top of the frame and the cross support. You could use 1/4 inch thread rod. Nice and small easy to install

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The Hollusion material is 9' wide by 5.5'. I would want the "stakes" to be at least 20' apart to create the illusion of being no frame.

Scarab

·
Registered
460 Posts
The Hollusion material is 9' wide by 5.5'. I would want the "stakes" to be at least 20' apart to create the illusion of being no frame.

Scarab
This is the only stuff I know that comes that big, and I can't vouch for the picture quality so talk to them first.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No, what I meant is the post will be 20' apart but I'll have the 9' hollusion material in the center of that 20' space. So there will be 5.5' space between the material and the post on each side.

Scarab

21 - 40 of 47 Posts