Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to create a Hollusion in my yard. Actually, in the middle of my yard where there is nothing to anchor the sides and top and bottom of the Hollusion material.

My questions is:
Has anyone done this successfully?
What did you use as a framing material that was strong enough to hold the Hollusion material tight and thin enough to not disrupt the illusion of a free floating apparition (or whatever you choose to project) in your open yard?

Thanks in advance for ideas!

Scarab

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm trying to figure this out for myself this year. I have had to adjust my original plans on placement to ensure I can set the projector in such a way as to angle the bleed through off to somewhere unseen. As for the framing I'm debating building a wooden frame and covering the wooden portions in black fabric to hide it. Then simply staple the fabric to the wood frame. But this may change.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AtmosFX Hollusion material is 9'x5.5'. That's a big frame to try and keep thin and unseen. Not sure what the strongest, thinnest, paintable (matte black) material is to make that frame.

Scarab

·
Registered
412 Posts
personally i have 2 of the Atmosx "curtains" they sent me,,they r very cheap and not very sturdy,,try a shower curtain ...thats what i used last year..much better results

·
Registered
17 Posts
I found a wedding arch at goodwill last week for 2.50. It is 5ft wide 8ft tall and has lights all around. I plan on putting it in the middle of graveyard scene. Stretching the atmosfx hollusion material across the arch and projecting the atmosfx skeletons or maybe the witch. I put it together to see how it looks and was surprised at how wide it was. did not look as wide as it is

Here is a picture of what it looks like (less the flowers)

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but the the whole point is I want an open yard scene. That means no visible frame.

Hummmmmmmm.....what about fishing line? It would still need support poles but they could be way further apart and unnoticeable as what's holding the fishing line tight. It would need to be reasonably strong line though but would definitely be far more hidden than a wooden or metal frame.

How to keep the Hollusion material tight though?

Scarab

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Thin cable is just about invisible at night. If you have a way to stretch it between two points, it will support the material and then just weight or stake the bottom corners.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing this year. I was playing around with hanging it like a volleyball net, two pools on either side, some kind of wire.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm trying to figure this out for myself this year. I have had to adjust my original plans on placement to ensure I can set the projector in such a way as to angle the bleed through off to somewhere unseen. As for the framing I'm debating building a wooden frame and covering the wooden portions in black fabric to hide it. Then simply staple the fabric to the wood frame. But this may change.

I got the tip from someone on here. But if you put fire and ice lights behind the projection material it cancels the projection light out. The color of the lights do not matter. I did it last year it worked perfectly. The projector is in front and as you can see there is no spotlight on my fence. I added 2 blue fire and ice lights behind it.

Attachments

·
Registered
986 Posts
One way, that is for us prohibitively expensive, but used with great effect at the Davis Graveyard across the river from us is to create a screen that is much, much bigger than where the image is displayed. So, the screen which may be thirty feet wide and attached to supports is put into the display, but the image is only 12 feet wide. That creates the illusion of no borders on the image, because you don't see them far off to the side where you're not really looking for them. You further break up the screen image by layering other objects in front of it. In the Davis Graveyard there is an entire graveyard in front of the wandering spirits in the background.

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been experimenting with various ways of doing this in my yard the past 2 years with varying levels of success. The best way I find to pull this off, is to disguise the bracing with some other type of prop. For example last year I made 2 large (8ft high) scary trees from large sonotube. The inside was braced with 2x2 posts, mounted on a 3/4in plywood platform. It was enough to pull the hollusion material tight enough, while preventing the wind from blowing it over.

My problem is ambient street lighting. It really kills your effect, but unfortunately there isn't much I can do about it so I live with the fact that I can only pull this effect of with some degree of success.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Since some mention is being made of what would be the best fabric to use in the display, I'm putting in this link that we found really helpful. It goes into some detail about fabrics that often get used as rear projection screens and the advantages and disadvantages of all of them. Definitely worth a view.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I purchased from Hobby Lobby last year a chiffon material. A light gray, I will have to check the exact color. I bought 5 yards for about $20 plus tax. Used a coupon. I do wish I had gone one shade darker though. I used it outside plus inside. It worked pretty good. Same as fallex I have a big street light right in front of my house which doesnt help I've watched youtube videos of people who have the Atmosfx one and you can still see the material. Here are some pics of what it looked like.

thumbnail (7).jpg
thumbnail (8).jpg
thumbnail (6).jpg

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made a frame for mine using 1/2 inch metal electrical conduit. Once I had it place I painted it black. Then stretched the cloth around the sides and top. Then put some weights on the bottom to keep it stretched tight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tried using a pvc frame which was ok but not great, then I made one out of metal conduit and that worked great

1 - 20 of 47 Posts