Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I went out looking the other night...nothing. It was a bit disappointing - the neighborhood has grown up over the years but there are still some kids around.

We, on the other hand, stand out like a light house in a fog bank. We figure the neighbors all talk about us, but I'd rather be talked about than boring...

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
That sounds just like our neighborhood this year. There is one house with a bunch of hanging ghosts in the trees but that's it. To be fair, the weather has been awful and for anyone who doesn't have as flexible of a schedule as I do, it would have been pretty hard to get much decorating done. As for the neighbors talking about us, well, I've been known as the crazy Halloween lady for years. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
How long do they stay up for? Im in the uk and here they only go up on the 31st as far as i know:) I never realised they were up for a while in other places!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same here and many kids that come by tell us they save our house for last every year bc its the coolest:cool:

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
How long do they stay up for? Im in the uk and here they only go up on the 31st as far as i know:) I never realised they were up for a while in other places!
Many of us start decorating October 1st or shortly after. There are quite a few though that don't put anything out before Halloween, sometimes it's due to fear of theft or vandalism.

·
Registered
574 Posts
There are a few, very few, that I've seen decorated. Ours goes all out, of course, there's another one we can see from our front yard that has a couple of inflatables in it and another one around the corner that has a single large inflatable. There are maybe half a dozen within a mile that have anything out at all, but nobody comes anywhere close to us. And people are starting to turn on their Christmas lights. It really sucks.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,907 Posts
I just did a short half hour through one section of my neighborhood, and there are many, but it's like every 6-8 house has something. Only like 1 in 20 out of that has actual setups similar to what we do here, and I am ITCHING to go into their yards and put in some colored spotlights because none of them are using lights except maybe a few, and those are just plain white solar lights or maybe a string of color minis. There is one really nice graveyard that would look WONDERFUL if you could actually see it!!

We're having to wait one more day due to weather for our final big push to finish the blowmold/pumpkin house thing. I have a giant JoL face for my garage, but the door needs the mouth added still, and about 12 more blow molds to put out and two skeletons up in the tree and then some swirly colored spots to add in for the big day.

I have too many toys this year. I had a brain fart and forgot I bought tons last year and bought more this year so the kids are getting SO MANY TOYS - lip whistles, rubber bats, jeweled spider and glow in the dark skull rings, tattoos and glow bracelets... oh and candy! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey, I'm excited. I've got new neighbors who put out a skeleton and some fence. I'm thrilled to have somebody who actually likes Halloween, not just tolerates it or pretends they aren't home.
I know the feeling! Had new folk move in down the street and while they're not 'all out' decorating, it was nice to see someone else putting up what we call 'preliminary' decorating like ghosts staked out in the yard. I had a neighbor I'd never met before stop and back up 2 weeks ago when I was out setting up some of the more weather-proof props. My first thought was "Oh, god. What's out that's offensive? The 'good stuff' won't be out until later." and instead I found out that they used to put up a pretty big cemetery scene before their daughter went to college and they moved here! Our short conversation ended with phone calls to his wife (who then called their daughter) and swapping construction ideas! The wife and daughter were brow beating him over tossing out his decorations so there might be a resurgence in their house over the following years. We even talked about setting up a 'local haunt' at the end of our long street that ends in a big cul de sac (we fought to not have the street continue on to a much larger, far more heavily trafficked street to prevent the cut through). It had been suggested before but it was more of a 'you should' instead of a 'we should'. I obviously didn't want all my props a quarter mile out of my sight, especially when I would be the only one contributing. Add in a few more hands for set up, tear down, and active participation inside a maze though... Well, lets just say I might be looking for truck loads of pallets for the next 10 months or so if the other folks are willing to chip in their time and help a guy out. :D

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
So my neighbor usually does a nice Fall display, but this year I noticed they also set up a graveyard in their backyard. My husband suspects that they feel they can't compete with my big display... I've been busy and haven't seen them to ask why they're hiding it in the backyard.
Around my neighborhood there aren't many displays. I know the one family that did a big display around the corner from me moved a year or two ago. I noticed the one house that normally does a nice dollar store style display didn't set up yet. On the other hand it looks like I have a new house about 4 or 5 blocks over that is setting up again this year. There's a lot of rentals in my neighborhood and I've gotten used to the random popup display that wouldn't be there the next year. It's nice to see a house set up a second year in a row...

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,998 Posts
There's one other house on my street that has some lights & decorations. There's a couple houses worth looking at a few streets over - but other than that? The occasional pumpkin or little ghost on the porch. It's sad! There's tons of kids in the neighborhood, but we don't have sidewalks & only have streetlights every other street! So the literal only bright spot on my street is my cemetery!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not much happening around here this year. Usually some of our neighbors make an effort, but for some reason, this year is kind of a washout. For the first time in twenty years, we are doing nothing, due to health problems and the sale of our house. Everything is or is in the process of being crated up. It seemed like the smart thing to do, back in the summer, but now I really regret not planning at least a scaled down version of our usual haunt.

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's the same story it's been around these parts for years. There was one other house across town I knew did a garage haunt, but the owners have since moved away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here!!! But I could careless my neighbors think I'm weird anyway- I'm a SFX artist they see all kinds of props all year long! I put up a huge graveyard and atmosfx hollusions and give out awesome candy....the kids love it and that's all that matters!!! 🎃👻🦇🖤

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I haven't put anything out for 6 years now so....Me and the wife have went out Sat nights cruising around the last few weeks and there are no new displays....There are only a handful to begin with but there are 2 less (not counting mine) than there used to be....The best displays we've seen this year are at campgrounds decorating their camp area....ZR

·
Registered
38 Posts
We’ve got a couple houses decorated in the neighborhood. Ours is behind schedule but we had Hurricane Florence and the remnants of Michael pass through so the high winds kept me from putting much out. Also unfortunately had a mass shooting a few weeks ago in our town and had 7 law enforcement officers get shot. 2 sadly passed away so just wasn’t in a creepy Halloween mood.

This weekend is going to be make or break. There is a lot to roll out.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
We, too, have that "Only House" syndrome. Most houses on our street are "gated". You know, NOBODY welcome here. We have been overwhelmed by wealthy Asian immigrants since 1998. They don't observe Trick or Treat. Regardless, we got 220 intrepid souls last year and may double that this year.
Keep The Faith!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We put out our columns and fencing on the 30th for our haunted graveyard and put our all of our tombstones, creatures, lights, fog machines, torches, hell pit, etc on Halloween day. It is pretty elaborate but we've streamlined it to go up fast. We set up the treats table outside and dress up in our costumes to hand out candy.
There are adults that come by every year and tell us how much they have loved our display since they were kids. Around 10 o'clock, when all the trick-or-treaters are gone, we take everything back down and put it back into storage.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts