Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas to bring more Trick or Treaters used to have 200+ kids but had to move new house and its perfect for yard haunts but no kids. Currently this is our yard. I haven't put out my zobmies and such yet. Thoughts? tips? tricks? I cannot quit but gets more pointless every year.

Home Property House Lighting Light

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Do you have TOT aged kids yourself? If so, I'd send them to school with some flyers for their friends that live in the neighborhood. Do you have a community newsletter? Get an article in there ASAP if so! Post some signs (just like what folks do to direct traffic to their yard sales) at cross streets in your neighborhood. Talk to the neighbors and see if there is any other word of mouth ways to get noticed. Create a Facebook page for your haunt and issue invites? Twitter account and tap your local businesses and anything neighborhood-related (local elementary/middle schools?)

Going bump in the night..
Neighborhoods can be cyclical in their percentage of ToT'ing age kids - as older folks die off or sell, they're often replaced with younger people who have a greater chance of having young kids. As these people age and the kids grow, the ToT'er numbers reduce...the couples grow old and move or die, younger couples come in...

Your neighborhood may be in a lull due to this activity - chat with your neighbors to see if they feel this could be the case. If so, you may be in at the right time to work on developing a great home haunt that will become famous throughout the town.

Registered
Put up a couple of signs at cross streets or busy areas that advertise our haunt - use arrows to point the way & put your address on it. Use chalk to write "WE HAVE CANDY" on the street in front of your house. Do this a day before Halloween & cars or people who walk by will see it. Put up some colored flyers at your local library & grocery stores - decorate the signs with pumpkins or ghosts & make them colorful so people spot them.

Also, you could make a countdown to Halloween sign for your front yard & put it up now - start building excitement & make your yard memorable. There are some neat countdown sign DIYs here.

Hope you get more TOTers this year!

Undaunted Haunter
When I moved to my neighborhood 16 yrs ago we got about 30 kids. Mostly from our subdivision. My yard haunt kept getting bigger and better each year until I finally had a full walk through maze in the front and back. As it grew so did the number of ToTs. 100, 200, 300. Over the past 6 yrs we started having people come from all over my town with an average of about 400 guests to our haunt. Keep in mind I live on the side of town people consider in nowhere so it is out of the way. So my point here is not to give up. If there are kids in the area word will get out that you have a really cool yard.

Registered
I would just enjoy the adventure and grow organically. Give out King Size candy bars until the number of tots grows too large. I would beef up your lighting and projection game so that anyone near you house will be drawn in like a moth to a flame. We have grown from about a dozen tots seven years ago to about fifty. I like where I am at because we have some down time between visits. Not everyone wants to be on television with lines around the block. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the awesome tips. being new to this community its awesome the out pouring of help.

I have had a countdown animated sign up for a while now, thanks to eerie acres concept. I do like the idea of full size bars. I also think we are in a bad location. our street has a subdivision behind it but there isn't a sidewalk connecting the subdivision and our street. All I can do is hope.

Property Lawn Yard Home Real estate

Registered
I'm glad this thread was created. Our street has a hard time drawing ToT as well. I'll probably have the best yard haunt on our block (which isn't saying much)..... but I don't think it's quite at the level of advertising worthy yet. However, I like the idea of handing out full-sized candy bars to draw kids in.*

*As I typed that sentence I realized that in any other setting I would be considered a creep. But in here, it's a great idea!!! :D

Registered
A couple things that worked great for us was media and craigslist. Most smaller newspapers in any area are always looking for public interest stories and they love using stories about houses like yours in October. Email the editor of your local papers and include some pics and more than likely they'll come out and do a write up for you in their paper.

We posted an advert in Craigslist last year and about tripled the number of visitors we had.

Witch Of The West Coast
I had the same issue.. I live on a quiet culdesac and while the neighborhood behind and beside us seemed to have plenty of tots, we would only get about 25. 2 things that helped up is loud, creepy music and a spotlight in the sky... It made people aware of our existence. Good luck and keep up the fight! it will pay off!

Seer of All
I would just enjoy the adventure and grow organically. Give out King Size candy bars until the number of tots grows to large. I would beef up your lighting and projection game so that anyone near you house will be drawn in like a moth to a flame. We have grown from about a dozen tots seven years ago to about fifty. I like where I am at because we have some down time between visits. Not everyone wants to be on television with lines around the block. :D
^This exactly. Build and decorate as you like and do only what you enjoy. The rest will take care of itself. Quantity isn't everything.

Registered
I actually posted yesterday about the fact I almost quit Halloween after super low turn out for 2 years.
My solution this year has been 2 fold:
1. A FB event page promoting our yard. Here's the link if you are curious- https://www.facebook.com/events/1604549299796704/ I then promoted the event to a local mom's FB group.
2. I made 'business cards' for it! A name , date (Halloween), time and address plus a qr code that goes to the face book. I hand them out when people comment when my cart is full of Halloween!

We just passed 200 on the event page so I have high hope's to blow out our current dismal record 16 ToTs!!!

Registered
It sounds like your house is situated sort of like mine. I live in a small subdivision that backs up to a larger subdivision but the streets don't go through. The neighboring subdivision gets lots of TOTs but only a few were coming around the corner into our subdivision. Last year I made a couple signs on fluorescent green poster board and hung them out on the main street and it worked great. Instead of getting 50-80 I got over 200. I'm happy with that number. I just put on the signs something like "Come Trick or Treat at ### Street, Best Decorated House." I felt like a braggart putting that last part on but really no one in the neighborhood comes close. :D

Registered
I am a firm believer of "If you build it they will come". I used to have about 9 trick or treaters until we started our cemetery. At first I used just store bought headstones and lights but after a hailstorm that ruined the headstones I found the tombstone tutorial here a none I have about 450 children visit each year. We give out full size candy bars, animal crackers for the little ones and doggy biscuits for any dog that protects his child on Halloween. Each year we add new things to the cemetery.

The full size candy bars will be a good start to getting the word out but the neighborhood newletter and facebook page help also. We also had cards made up for our haunt with the facebook page on them to pass around town and even leave at Spirit Halloween stores. Hang in there as you go from year to year you will get more TOTers

https://www.facebook.com/resurrectionvale

Registered
Put up a couple of signs at cross streets or busy areas that advertise our haunt - use arrows to point the way & put your address on it. Use chalk to write "WE HAVE CANDY" on the street in front of your house. Do this a day before Halloween & cars or people who walk by will see it. Put up some colored flyers at your local library & grocery stores - decorate the signs with pumpkins or ghosts & make them colorful so people spot them.
Yeah! Make signs like "TOTs welcome here!" and put them along the street and nearby intersections like what people do for garage sales.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts