Halloween Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! At my haunt I try to have one way for people to go. I have been doing this for a few years. But last year litteally everyone went the wrong way. I even went to maske a sign that says come up left and exit the right. Does anyone have any advice on how to enforce this. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We learned years ago from getting in line at amusement parks that most people (being right handed) automatically go right. That's why the left line is often shorter. If it is feasible to flip your layout so that the right side is the entrance, that could help. If the doorways are close together, you could also add stands & ropes to direct those exiting off to the side and the folks entering will usually take the more direct route. Of course a few big arrows on the ground out of blacklight reactive tape or something may also do the trick. Good Luck.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My haunt is also one way. My entrance and exit are clearly labeled and I have someone at the entrance. For years where I had one door in and out the path was marked with huge yellow/glow in the dark arrows. Make sure your path is obvious and if people are required to move something to proceed that something should be very obvious. Since I am the single haunt creator in my family I have the most brutal critic I can find (my wife) walk through and tell what needs to be improved. Alas with all those precautions you're still going to get a few people who can't read or don't listen to directions.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If it is closed off at all make those ripped strips out of black plastic or curtains for the exit so its not as obvious a way to get in. Signs other materials of an entrance have to be almost in face so they get it not to high or low as much as possible, and some still wont get it.

I feel your pain I've tried doing things at the campground to make it directional but has never worked out and with hopefully new setup won't even be possible but with space has never really worked anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is the set-up that worked for me. My house has a long, narrow front yard. (Its Halloween potential is one of the reasons I chose it over another home for sale at the same time. Now THAT'S dedication! 🎃 (GF used a different adjective. 🙄)) Anyway, people won't use a door they don't see. All that's visible to the kids is the opening on the right. The opening on the left isn't obvious because it runs flush with the wall and it isn't near the entrance.
Dog Font Carnivore Rectangle Art

·
Registered
49 Posts
Two years ago I did a one-way trick-or-treat line to help combat COVID issues. I had big arrows and boxes and everything marked and most people went the wrong way. What we finally figured out (after sitting out in the cold all night), is that the kids were heading the most direct route for the cool/big thing they saw from the road. Since the candy chute was visible from afar, they just locked on and walked straight for it. So, maybe have something near your entrance that draws them in and (like others have suggested) make the exit tiny and boring so their eyes are drawn where you want them to go?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My haunt is also one way. The entrance is through a pair of cemetery gates at the curb while the exit is at the front door and down the plain old boring driveway. MOST people get the idea to start at the gate. When that fails I simply guide them loudly from the candy bowl at the door. My yard is pretty short door-to-curb so that usually works out fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts