Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know how overly dramatic this sound is, but I'm on the verge of quitting and selling off all my stuff. I just spent the last few days putting out all my non-weatherproof stuff because I heard the weather was supposed to stay clear until very late tonight. Now I'm listening to it rain outside and there is a huge pile of wet Halloween décor and props in my entryway.
If it doesn't stop raining, I'm quitting for good. I already got rained on my first year, my second year was nice, but then I got a freak snow storm my third and Sandy last year. I can't keep doing this. I don't have a covered area to retreat to (like a garage or covered porch) nor can I put up an structures of any kind (I rent). I'm just so tired of putting so much time, energy, and money into everything, only to have Mother Nature give me the middle finger every single year.
I worked so hard these past few days, I ran around like a mad woman (three trips to Lowe's yesterday alone!), and I even put up signs around the neighborhood. Now it's raining and no one is going to show up. The town is hosting a trunk-or-treat, so I bet parents are going to just take their kids there and then call it a night because they don't want to be out in the rain. Even if people show, there won't be much to see.

For now I just keep refreshing the radar map on weather.com, praying that the clear spot actually makes it here and stays for a few hours. But the damage is probably already done.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,110 Posts
Kuroneko - do you have big windows? I plan on quitting one of these years too. In FL during this time its really hot, then it rains. So no super animatronic stuff for me. I keep eyeing projectors and eventually just do that. Or, you can just make 1 fantastic item, and scene it up and around really well that's it! These are all my thoughts.....but I hear ya! its such a let down. But it can't always be bad. Even life doesn't work that way....:)

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
If you are that frustrated (which is understandable), what I would recommend is putting out a bit of decor that is weatherproof, rather than quitting altogether. For example, Collections Etc. sells a variety of metal silhouettes, so you could even just do something along those lines and add a few things to the windows, like matrixmom suggested. My plans got waylaid thanks to the rain and wind, but I am not going to pass on doing at least some sort of setup, and I would offer the same advice to you, as I am sure that many of the ToTers do appreciate your efforts very much.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Hang in there, Black Cat.
I know it's frustrating, but there really are people that appreciate the work you put in.
We've (my family and I) have had eight years to experience the worst that mother nature can throw at us, and a LOT of our stuff has been ruined as a result. We learn from it, build accordingly, and change it up next year.
If it's really stressful, then yeah, a break might be best.
Just think, though, the pressure will be off tomorrow.
I wish you the best.

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I've been trying to buy weatherproof stuff, but everything is geared towards party throwers these days unless you want some horrible inflatable (okay there are a few that are okay, but most suck). I'm trying to build my own stuff, but I just have the time or energy in the off season to get as much done as I want.
The next place we live will have to have some covered spot for me to haunt! I'm not dealing with this again.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
what county is Manville in? I'm in Gloucester County and we have breaks in the cloud cover and no rain since yesterday afternoon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I live in CT--have had the exact same weather problems. Felt like quitting, but never did. This year, my party was down to about 20 people, which killed me since I spent so much time prepping, and a bunch of the shortfall (from the usual 40-50) was from people who rsvp'd yes then didn't show. I'm incredibly discouraged too, and keep telling myself maybe I'm done. I suspect that next year, both of us will pull out the stuff and start setting up as usual. Like Charlie Brown, we keep trick-or-treating even though we keep getting rocks.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Just sigh & take some deep relaxing breaths Kuroneko. We all get that some time or another, mines a freaking windstorm...again...

Tally so far since this morning:

- Obelisk broken (top sheared off the base with a 30+ mph gust)

- Celtic cross top broke (basically the same scenario as the obelisk)

- Floor standing candelabra broken (Chandelier top knocked off when it toppled, 2 arms bent, 3 candlesticks separated)

Oh, & it's way to windy to put up the arch while two people hold what amounts to a 14' x 1 1/2' sail perched on top of ladders. That kills my lighting's thunder sound & lighting, wash lights for the driveway, wash light for the front of the columns. Not to mention the effect on the fog.

Yeah, just perfect. 4 years running with windstorms on Halloween & nearly $90 of Froggys Fog fluid going to go to waste laying fog on everyone else's display but the one who actually paid for it. And, it's not going to let up until tonight, where we'll be getting 5-10 mph winds still. Of course, yesterday was dead calm. Figures. Happy birthday to me...

So yeah, I feel your pain & can completely sympathize. *hugs & a pat on the back* It'll work out in our favor one of these days, even bad luck can't last forever. Till then, I'mma go dig a grave in the front yard, & lie in it. ;)

·
Witch of the Midwest!
912 Posts
I understand. I took all of my yard decorations down last week. We've had non stop rain and one of my favorite pieces actually blew right off my porch (it was nailed to the wall) and broke. I was NOT happy.

Everything I did bring in was covered in slugs, spiders and earwigs. (GROSS). I ended up putting a few props that had spider nests on the curb along with all of my foam tombstones. I just got sick of dealing with them. So someone was happy as they didn't last an hour on the curb. So as for next year, not sure. Last year I had a few props in my windows and in front of my door inside and next year, I just don't know. I know it is tiring worrying about things getting stolen, rained on, broken, spider infested, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've learned a lot this year because of the weather. Especially after chasing tombstones down the road that were blowing away in the wind. :) Going to have a major window display next time, reinforce the tombstones with PVC, rebar and a base, concentrate more on lighting and our cauldron creep as the main focal point. Looking forward to using projection next year also with the Creepy Crawlies 2 dvd from Atmosfear FX. Can't wait!

And I really look forward to visits to this forum for all the helpful information. It's a highlight for me. Happy Halloween!

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
I have been sitting on my porch..its still pouring..looking at a bunch of very wet ruined things..I went through what I thought may dry out ..I can't decide if Im so aggravated I may not bother next year, or if maybe its time to do a theme and just change it all..right now Im just aggravated and don't even want to think about it!

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
The weather does put a damper on things. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that only weatherproof items go outside. It's too much of a hassle to bring things in and out and worry about the rain. Wind is another problem, like last year with Sandy. That required everything getting pulled off the lawn. And the year before where the snow crapped on our party, boy did we have a lot of leftovers.

But if you're not having fun then it's time to reconsider all the time and money you put into the day. Maybe you can scale it back and slowly build a more weatherproof haunt.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Yeah, just perfect. 4 years running with windstorms on Halloween & nearly $90 of Froggys Fog fluid going to go to waste laying fog on everyone else's display but the one who actually paid for it. And, it's not going to let up until tonight, where we'll be getting 5-10 mph winds still. Of course, yesterday was dead calm. Figures. Happy birthday to me...
Who would have ever thought my training in chemical warfare would be useful for Halloween. All me to introduce you to FM 3-6 Field Behavior of NBC Agents (Including Smoke and Incendiaries). It will help you understand how your fog machine will interact with the wind at various speeds, allowing you to position and control your fog machines for effective coverage.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I sold-got rid of 80% of my inventory this year because of several past years weather as you stated....I would have had my party this past Sat the 26th if I did Halloween this year...It was actually a great night but I've been working mandatory overtime (including that Sat) so it seems like it's always something getting in the way....Even now, I'm still not decided what I want to do for Halloween in future years but I am sure it will no longer be the full blown extravaganza of prior years...Like you, It finally took it's toll on me last year when Sandy destroyed my plans within 2 days before the party that took me all year to build not to mention the cost (time and money)....I couldn't imagine not doing something ever again though (not going to let it win hands down)....I think cutting back majorly (no more walk through) but doing something on a smaller scale will still allow me to enjoy the holiday but not have so much invested in the years the weather (or my job) will not cooperate with MY plans that it turns into a negative experience.....ZR

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mother Nature must have been following my posts since she decided to not rain all over my night. Although she did keep spiting on things.
But we had a great turn out for our first official year, a big 25 ToTs (most too scared to even walk all the way up to the door). I was told by another (hopefully future forum member) Halloween neighbor that this is the most we have had in a long time. We did have to get everything in at the end of the night because the rain started, but that wasn't until around 10pm.

Now we're making plans for next year.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
For the last week, the weather was great, as they were predicting rain for the entire week.

Yesterday, we build a HUGE maze, 8 feet tall, was going to be amazing, 10 hours of work, easily.

Today... The biggest rain we had in months, the entire backyard, drenched.... impossible to do our full haunt... we did only 50% of the haunt, half our animatronics, props and such, unused. The maze, impossible to use...

Around 2pm in the afternoon, soked and cold, I took a break of trying to salvage the haunt and sat, thinking WHY AM I DOING THIS?...

Now, it's almost 11:30pm at night, we had around 200 kids, even it was POURING NONE STOP HEAVY RAIN...

Even if it's not even half of what we usually get, 200 kids came braving the horrible weather.... I am happy..

Even if it was not the haunt we planned, it's still was the best haunt they ever seen and Halloween was a magical night for them...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Like my wife keeps telling me.... Don't let things you can't control ruin your favorite day! I just do a lot more indoor deco for me and the family to enjoy. If the weather permits, on the day of I will throw up the lighting, fog and some props, but I don't out up much outdoors just for that reason. It kept making me mad to see things get ruined.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
Glad to hear it turned around for you. We had such a dead first hour tonight that I was starting to wonder if we would get any ToTs at all. It's been cold and wet the last few days and I was starting to think parents were taking their kids to one of the 'harvest' parties instead of letting them ToT.

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, our town had a trunk-or-treat and everyone's ToT numbers were down around town due to it. I thought I had lost my ToTs to it too since no one showed up for hours and the trunk-or-treat started at 5:30 (complete with lots of fun activities!). My first ToTs showed up after 5. I was hoping that I would get an after trunk-or-treat crowd, but it never happened.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts