Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walmart sets "our" section of the store 2x per year, and I go out to see that it is set properly, etc...
They have different sets based on size and demographics, so I get to make a huge Walmart tour.

I have only seen scant sightings of HW stuff so far, but they were re-hanging shelves and had the Plan-o-gram printouts in the last store.

Will post either here or in the main thread, but I fear the general "sightings" thread is too long.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your report!
I checked out 3 locations over the week-end - unopened boxes in one, nothing in the other two. Are they starting later this year, or am I growing more impatient in my old age? :D

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
ours had the Candy Aisle up.... in groceries....no HAlloween just autmn/fall stuff..that was as of today here in central Florida

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Very disappointing, folks...

Most stores have nothing up, a couple have started making way and 2 stores had most of the section up.

There are approximately 100 feet of costumes and 80 feet of decor stuff out. The decor is very much recycled... sigh.... tombstones, foggers, fencing, etc... all the same stuff from years past. Even the wall clings are the same.

The only thing really jumping out is that all the lights are LED. 25 ct strings are $3.50 and 50 ct strings are $7.00. Pumpkin lights are all LED now... pumpkin stencils looked like the same sets as before.

I'm waiting for that hopefully additional 20 feet of props to show up...

Even at Target, most of the stuff is recycled. Maybe not from Target last year, but from other retailers now showing up at Target. The lighting strings are pretty cool and get more advanced...and MORE EXPENSIVE.

Will be out more this week... hopefully something worth photographing...

·
kakos
7,217 Posts
I was extremely disappointed by Walmart last year. Really hoping it's back this year. They had no setups here last year, just candy all over and a few decorations.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Went to my local wallyworld last night and they had costumes, costumes and more costumes. No props at all. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Walmart and Target last night....left emptihanded. Pretty much the same stuff as last year. I'll go back and get a few of the 3ft skelies for $10 at Walmart but nothing else is calling to me this year.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The reason it feels late is because Labor Day is a week later this year than last year, so these stores are putting stuff out later Halloween wise because of that.

For the LED lights what type are they?

Are they like this style, and do they come in purple? I don't like the other LED lights that are really small.
Halloween Lighted Decorations | Black Light Look LED C6 Lights - American Sale

These are the type of LED's I DON'T like:

Halloween Lights | Halloween LED Orange Light Set - American Sale

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Our walmart has some costumes and lots of shelf space. They are just putting it out at a snail's pace. In the candy section, with the exception of candy corn, pretty much everything is just the everyday stuff only displayed in orange boxes. No Halloween M&M's or anything like that. I thought that was odd.

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
Wal-Mart was bad last year. I do not have great hopes of them redeeming themselves this year.

·
Ghouls Rule
2,612 Posts
The reason it feels late is because Labor Day is a week later this year than last year, so these stores are putting stuff out later Halloween wise because of that.

For the LED lights what type are they?

Are they like this style, and do they come in purple? I don't like the other LED lights that are really small.
Halloween Lighted Decorations | Black Light Look LED C6 Lights - American Sale

I saw these type at big lots, I remember seeing them in the christmas area so I cant recall all the colors but I remember they had a pink that I really liked. :) I agree, I dont like the little rounded off type of LEDs, bleh.

·
The Horror of The South
592 Posts
Very disappointing, folks...

sigh.... tombstones, foggers, fencing, etc...
FOGGERS.......

Over here there is none available, only place to get them is on eby but they go for more than 40-50£....

All the stores that are likely to have foggers dont have them this year...

SIGH.....

Ruggerz

·
Registered
32 Posts
dont get too excited.. walmart is just getting set and wont have much this year! mostly candy, costumes, and party supplies. Although each wm is different and some may cary more then others. I work there and I have seen the plan-o-grams. dont waste time making special trips looking for cool deco.. they wont have any!!! try walmart.com or another retailer

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Local Wal-Mart is getting things out. Saw 3 Gemmy figures : Skeletal Greeting Butler - decent looking, apparently says alot of phrases; Skeletal Baseball Park Vendor - pretty clever, it is dressed in distressed baseball vendor clothing and carrying a large rectangular vendor tray with strap around the neck; Greeter witch - not impressed.
Our local K-Mart had most of their items out, including the Gemmy Jason for $199 and a cute l'il talking butler - 36" tall with a very nicely sculpted caracature face.

·
Registered
212 Posts
K-Mart

I have to say K-Mart got the jump on Halloween this year the two in my town was pretty much set up, but go figure just an hop, skip, jump away they was putting out Christmas stuff also.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I live in Canada and my Walmart JUST started putting things out, I have yet to visit the "bigger" Walmart which is more like a superstore, in hopes a lot more things will be there.

I will post some pictures of what I found kind of interesting, I am hoping once the shevles and aisles are FILLED there will be new stuff to buy and use for my haunt. The best place to grab stuff is the small moms and pops stores. There is this store that sets up near a university here and they have begun selling stuff already, a big Halloween sign hangs out front and I bought a skull fogger there last year which worked GREAT!! I am hoping this store and party packagers will have some new goodies this year. I will check out Walmart because I've bought some nice strobe lights and what not from there as well.

Here as my pictures so far.

View attachment 6090

View attachment 6091

View attachment 6092

View attachment 6093

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went to some more stores today, and folks... this year isn't going to be as good as the last, but it has been on a downhill slide for the past few years.

The sections are pretty large, but it is mostly costumes and decor stuff. Plates, bowls, window clings, creepy cloth, etc...

I am not seeing anything really ground breaking.

Walmart is in the midst of a huge re-branding and market share initiative "Project Impact."
If your local store isn't being renovated now, expect it in the next year.

Was just at Costco, and they have 4+ aisles of Christmas and ONE FREAKING Halloween rack. Costumes and only two props...giant bats and something else. No inflatables out, but you bet they've got animated reindeer and snowglobes up!

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kmart is dead here. You have to drive 50 miles to find a store, and they are old and dirty.
In my old hometown, they still have 4 Kmarts, but they have been on life support for years.

It's kinda sad, since we just picked them up as a customer.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts