Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the spirit of Pumpkinrot and a dead rip-off of Spookyblue I'm taking a whack at a scare crow this year.

The paper mache is done and today I took a whack at using carpet latex as Spooky did... wow... I must be a moron because I had everything (and I mean everything) stuck to everything else! :)

Anyway, here it is so far:

·
Registered
629 Posts
:eek: Wow! That looks great! Carpet latex is great stuff (yeah right) I use it in a lot of props I make as well, but run into the same problem, but once you put your first coat of paint on the prop, you won't have that problem anymore.:D Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Carpet latex has some good points:
It's cheaper than make-up grade latex,
it is almost as effective as more expensive latex on props,
it’s cheaper than make-up grade latex, it’s easy to get and, if I didn’t mention before, , it’s cheaper than make-up grade latex.

The bad thing is, even after it’s ‘dry’, it will always remain extremely sticky (that COULD be why they use it for carpet...I don't know).

This can be overcome by paint or stain (in which case it will only be ‘slightly’ sticky), or you can use talc powder.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
And why does your nose ALWAYS start to itch once your hands are covered with the junk????

Your pumpkin head looks great!!

If you don't want to deal with the mess of carpet latex try dipping paper towels in the glue mixture, you can get a really good texture with that and even building up cheek & eyebrow bones.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lol. that looks almost exactly like the one I did a few years ago.
Also inspired by PumpkinRot and Spookyblue

And yeah, I feel ya. I hate carpet latex too

·
Registered
217 Posts
if you are a naughty bad crafter like me, and don't usually wear gloves because you are SO sure you won't get any on you this time... I use cornstarch. I just dip my fingers in a little cup of cornstarch and rub it around anywhere I have managed to get the stuff. I keep it around and spread it on regular latex too, instead of talcum/baby powder. I generally prefer "real" latex, but there are times when I prefer the carpet latex. I like to use it to stick sections of foam together after I have it cut. blah blah blah.... that's my helpful hint for the day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
that looks awesome gonna have to try this project next year, gotta stop looking thru posts keep seeing stuff that i should've or wanted to try and build but ran out of time. oh well that just means i gotta get a head start for next haunt.keep up the great work

1 - 20 of 20 Posts