Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Is it January ALREADY!? Crap, better get back to work!

Recently I just had to use some new tools that Santa left under the tree (framing nail gun!), so with some spare wood, I created what could become the center piece of a room in next year's haunt!

First step, framing. These doors are 7x3 each.

Next step after skinning the frames with plywood is to cut out your bolts. I used 1 3/8" wooden dowels cut into small, random pieces.

Next steop was to add on some hinges! (Ignore the "Dont open dead inside", but don't ignore the cameo by the head of my mourner statue!)

The paint job for these doors was an orange base coat. To get a rusty, chunky texture, I mixed up the latex paint, a few scoops of drywall mud, and sawdust.

Add in some simple brown tea staining and dry brushing.. And the finished product!

·
Undertaker
3,270 Posts
Some may not know this but I am handicapped.....

Having mentioned this minor but important fact I must stress that I am confused.

The final product looks super but why paint "don't open dead inside" if you painted over it......?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Is it a case of "reduce, re-use, recycle" for the materials used for the door?

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
As you build "Rusty Doors" I worry about my steel doors outside rusting away! haha! (As we pass each other going in opposite directions!)
I spied 43? steel doors in 2 dumpsters, every door at the low-income housing project got replaced. I told some of my patrons:"Just think if these doors could "talk!"
Estranged Boyfriends and husbands screaming obscenitys at 2Am as they drunkenly beat on the steel doors! (To the rhythm of those flashing red lights.)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looks good! Yes time to start working on props. The sooner the better. Get everything done well in time. I started in November....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Fantastic! I love the texture created here by mixing in the sawdust and drywall mud in with the paint...I never would have thought of that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great idea indeed. Love the use of the dowels as bolts.
Always loved these type of projects but always wondered how you go about displaying them.
Are they mounted somewhere? Staked for outside use? Just curious.

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Very nice work. Great idea cutting a dowel for bolts!!!!!! (Said as I face-palm myself.) In the past I have used wooden hole plugs but they aren't ideal. It's hard to affix them and because they are slightly domed they get knocked off easily. Nice job with your rust texture too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That looks really good! Gives me an idea for building a facade in front of my front door perhaps this year. Love the multiple uses of the dowels and the paint finish. Good job!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts