Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yello fellow haunters,

So this year im thinking about doing a mine town theme.(thinking cause were doing it at my friends house(he gets more visitors so we gota talk about it). So Im thinking bout prop ideas. Iv already got the idea of pick axes with old mining helmets as graves. Anyone got any other ideas, they have to be dirt cheap since we are 13 so have no $ since we gota be 14 to get a job. Thanks in advance.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Check your local craigslist and freecycle for old wooden pallets that are being given away - if they've been left out, they already have the "natural" aged look to the wood.

Pull those apart for making your fences...perhaps some crates, or the facade of an abandoned miner's shack...walkways...lots of use for wood, of course.

·
The Great Crazy
42,937 Posts
I got some ideas from some of the members just forgot the links. Lots of really cool pics!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,782 Posts
Yello fellow haunters,

So this year im thinking about doing a mine town theme.(thinking cause were doing it at my friends house(he gets more visitors so we gota talk about it). So Im thinking bout prop ideas. Iv already got the idea of pick axes with old mining helmets as graves. Anyone got any other ideas, they have to be dirt cheap since we are 13 so have no $ since we gota be 14 to get a job. Thanks in advance.
Propboy, I did a mine theme in 2008 and I loved it. The link is in my signature. Was probably my favorite theme. I built my mine sign, and some crates out of old pallet wood as suggested. You might also want to check with your local Home Depot or Lowes. I got all of the lumber for my mine facade and trusses for like $21. The trick is to find a manager in the lumber dept. Ask them if they would be willing to sell you some "cauld" lumber. (sorry if it is spelled wrong) . Basically the lumber that is bent, split, has large knots or whatever. Typically the stuff no body wants to buy. Home Depot pretty much filled my list with exactly what I needed. Paid about $1.00 - $1.25 per board. They were happy to get rid of some of the bad wood. Typically they either sell it in bulk, or cut it up and try to sell smaller pieces. There is nothing wrong with asking. I think if you find the right employee, they'll be glad to help you out. ;)

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Diabolik - good find on that lumber (and after a quick search, it's spelled "culled" lumber - but it's what you're talking about), and it brings up another point: "Oops Paint" at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. I've found amazing quantities of good paint in colors I can use for just a few bucks (my favorite was a 5 gallon bucket of dark, dark grey paint that I picked up for $15...still trying to get to the bottom of it).

propboy, also check Craigslist for free paint - I just had a look in my local "free" section, did a search for "paint", and there were 2 or 3 ads giving away half-used cans of paint. You might find some very usable stuff.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Pallets are the cheapest way to get old looking wood for a mining theme.

Abandoned mining shack and town welcome sign I made primarily with pallets. I really don't think I spent any money on either of these.

Crates I built with pallets.

YouTube - crate comp2

Fence pillars and doghouse I made with pallets.

I got a little lucky and found a pallet that had a piece of plywood that actually had the arrows on it. I cut it into four pieces to make this plunger and the Dynamite was pieces of pipe and wire I found.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I think my favorite thing I built for my mine theme was this mine shaft entrance. I found pretty much everything to build it other then the paint and that was 3 or 4 cans of $2 spray paint from Home Depot.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guy and yardhauntjunkie i checked out for profile lots of ideas and can we keep this going i need more iv got 236 days to waste:)

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,960 Posts
Hey propboy. You could also use the pallets to throw together something that looks like a mining car. Bolt on some old wheels off a junk lawnmower. Cut the rubber tire off and paint them a rusty red color. You could do a fake iron paint job and the corners to make it look like some iron braces.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts