Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Google has a truly awesome feature called the News Archive Search that allows you to view copies of old newspapers. https://news.google.com/newspapers I used it to go back and look at old copies of The Pittsburgh Press, which was our newspaper when I was growing up. I thought it would be cool to go back in time and look at some Halloween ads from back in the day, and here's some that I found from 1955...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Bruzilla
That's crazy that you found an old ad from Rosenbaums. I grew up in Elmira NY and we had one but I always thought it was just a locally owned store. Thanks for the nostalgia trip.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had never heard of Rosenbaum's before I saw that ad.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still trying to get over a box of 24 fullsize candy bars for .89. :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought I would check out what October 1940 had to offer and found some interesting stuff. There were no ads for costumes and most Halloween (alternately identified as Halloween and Hallowe'en) ads were from grocers selling food for special Halloween dinners and parties... and one beer ad! Looks like molasses-based foods, nuts, cider, Halloween ice cream, and peanut brittles were favorites of the day. Looks like a good road map for a 1940s/WWII-themed Halloween party. :)

BTW, I found out that Buttercream Corn is what we call candy corn. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Very interesting. I noticed there were alot of ads for costumes and candy, but nothing for decorations. So glad things have progressed to the wonderful selection of decorations we have now.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very interesting. I noticed there were alot of ads for costumes and candy, but nothing for decorations. So glad things have progressed to the wonderful selection of decorations we have now.
I remember during the 70s, decorations were limited to paper cut outs to hang up in windows and on doors and a few blow mold lights. The closest we had to animatronics was the jointed skeleton you could pose. :)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Decorations, even as recently as the early 80's, oftentimes were black-orange paper chains, cardboard decorations in windows, and the homemade stuffed dummy on the porch. The jack o' lantern still was the centerpiece, and the really cool houses had a sound effects record playing in the living room.

It's interesting seeing the treats. Some of those adverts were from 1940, and although candy companies were around and doing fine, the average grocer offered buttercream (candy) corn, orange and black jellies, apples by the bushel and peanut brittle. Just goes to show the resilience of the holiday - it flourished in the Depression, survived the second World War and became a mainstay of Autumn in America by the time the post-war boom was in swing.

I never considered peanut brittle for Halloween. It was always a Christmas candy when I was growing up, and the wife still makes it for the Yuletide, but I can't help but think that brittle, along with kettle corn, would taste like pure Halloween with a mug of spiced cider.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I love seeing the ads for the old gallon-sized jugs of NY cider. We used to go through multitudes of Sceneca brand cider during the Fall. I'll always remember that little round finger hole near the top that you used to control the spout. I sure miss getting my cider that way. A plastic jug just isn't the same.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I never considered peanut brittle for Halloween. It was always a Christmas candy when I was growing up, and the wife still makes it for the Yuletide, but I can't help but think that brittle, along with kettle corn, would taste like pure Halloween with a mug of spiced cider.
Isn't that the truth? The toffee taste and texture would work great as a fall treat.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
These ads are also making me wonder about the Halloween ice cream. My Mom used to get those half gallons with the Halloween-themed centers, and we would each get a slice. I wonder if anyone still makes those?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts