Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an old outdoor decoration that has bulbs in it that are bigger than a mini bulb on regular lights strands. The problem that most of the bulbs are burnt out and I don't know what size they or what to look for. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? It's like a mini light on steroids....

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Poking on the internet...I THINK the smaller bulb is a "C5", the larger may
be a "C6". I think those are the common push in bulbs.

I do see several web sites dealing with replacement Christmas bulbs, most
with telephone numbers.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Those things are increasingly difficult to find. They're basically just early generation minilights. They may be 20-30 years old. I've got several strands of string lights with blowmold housings that use them and I'm seriously considering figuring out a way to replace them with the current, smaller minilight design. Last time I managed to buy a batch of spare bulbs, I got them from Kindy's, a local Christmas supply shop, but that was at least 5 years ago. Now I take a dead bulb with me and hunt through fall yard sales and christmas bazaars looking for strings with matching bulbs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys but I guess I'm going to rewire the thing with new mini lights. And I'm not looking forward to it. But Thanks again, Charlie

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Thanks guys but I guess I'm going to rewire the thing with new mini lights. And I'm not looking forward to it. But Thanks again, Charlie
Rewiring is a great opportunity. If you have the knowledge, you can add special effects for your lighting.

For example, I have a bunch of those resin jack-o-lantern pumpkin lanterns with the clip in C9 bulb sockets to illuminate them. Kind of crappy lighting if I must say, even when they come with a flicker bulb instead of a regular steady bulb. All that lighting went bye bye, the hole was plugged with hot glue and paint, and I cut a new hole toward the bottom, which I used to install a 2.1x5.5mm power connector and three flicker LEDs - 2 amber and 1 red. I can hook them up to either a 3v line from a converted CPS or simply plug in a double AA battery pack to provide the power for the lights.

Now instead of a simple white or orange light, my pumpkin lanterns look like a candle must have fallen over and a fire has erupted inside.

So take the time to figure out what options you have before giving the rewiring a go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the result of a complete rewire... Thanks for the advice! Ohhh and I know it's a Santa not Haloween. It was just the help I was after... Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts