Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious on what everyone's doing to bring in what some consider the start of the season.

How is our favorite time of the year creeping into your life now moreso than last month?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have out my Halloween planner working on any projects I didn't get to last year, adding new projects, mAking new layouts for the basement and starting shopping lists for both our annual party and the project lists which are subcategorized by store and date to be purchased by.

·
Registered
414 Posts
That I need to get a move on. We scraped together enough money to buy me a 4x8 foam sheet to make the tombstones I wanted to, so it's time to get on it.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
August around here means it's just too damn hot to be in the garage or outside so anything I make has to be indoor friendly. I can hit up thrift stores for accessories and costume pieces and such so I try to do that. I'm skipping my usual cemetery to go all pirates this year so I do have a few building projects but I should be able to manage them when things cool down a bit. What I really need are a few more skeletons so I'm waiting on those to hit the stores.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's really hot here, too, but I've been braving the yard and garage for short periods of time, and working in the evening to try to beat the heat. I've gotten my tombstones cut, and the base layer of spray paint on, so now I can bring them inside to paint. I've been working on (and finished) quite a few projects I had on my list to complete this year, and have loosely planned the setup at my mom's place. (She lives next door, so we'll be decorating her place *and* ours!) I've also been trying to connect people in our city who are Halloween enthusiasts on a Facebook group I started a month or so ago. I've also contacted our neighborhood association in hopes of getting our neighborhood more involved. We live in a historic district, and have some great historic houses that would look amazing if more people would decorate. Anyway, I've got one big prop I'm working on this year, and I'm trying to pace myself. The goal is to have everything done by the middle of next month!

·
Registered
62 Posts
So glad I'm not the only one who starts this early. Family and friends think I'm nuts lol. Unfortunately where I am its too hot to really get into season just yet.*However,*I am currently working on props ,mostly revamping things from last year so I can sell them this year. And I have a few new ideas for props that will become part of my own Halloween decor. When I was younger I used to plan out my costume this early but now that I have kids I start on theirs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
August is when I start asking the clerks at the big box stores, "when does the Halloween stuff come out?" and they look at me like I'm crazy. :)

It's also the time of year I start thinking about what I'd like to add to the collection, and I start a craft or two.

·
Registered
278 Posts
August means that I start to pay more attention to the stores. Halloween items are starting to show up, and by the end of the month most all stores should have some Halloween things out.

I also know that August will fly by and September will be here before you know it. Once September is here, then it's really on!

·
Super Moderator
5,783 Posts
Most my august this year is getting eaten by work, so I took 3 days and finished up my biggest build a couple weeks ago. I'm basically "ready". There's a few things that I'm not going to get done, but nothing critical and no one else will know.

Mostly just need to work on costumes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
August to me means the first day of rehearsal. For the past three years I was running a home haunt we called "Rose's Haunted Graveyard." So August meant the first serious in-the-garage-building-props sessions. But the guy who owned the house we were living in sold it and the three of us who lived there scattered to the winds. No house means no home haunt. So last month I auditioned for -- and got -- a role as a Halloween Monster (formally known as a "scareactor") at Universal Studios Florida's Halloween Horror Nights. We open the show in September. But the first audition is at the end of this month! I can hardly wait!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
August means that fall practice is starting and that the Huskers kickoff is a month away. It means the Bairgutsman and the Skyline 1/2. It means checking stores for Halloween stuff I don't need. It means the end to this infernal heat is near.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
August is kind of the official beginning for us. Have to finish up projects. (NEVER get them all done.) Then get the inside staged because it takes me most of September to get our outdoor lights display up. I try to have that lit up for the first weekend in October. Then October is just one long tinkering, puttering, hanging with visitors party all month long.

So August. Is kind of like a panic button just went off inside my head!! haha It's GO TIME folks.

Oh and shopping. ALL the new merchandise is so much fun!!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Shopping!!!! I've gotten some things from Grandin Road and Home Depot and am anxiously awaiting skeletons to pop up in stores. Also, I have to nail down and order my party invitations this month.

And logging in to HF multiple times a day instead of just 3-4 times per week.

Also, it is the halfway mark of the hot months in Florida. 3 down, 3 to go!

·
Registered
353 Posts
August for me is deciding if my kids really need back to school clothing because I saw this amazing prop I have to have. LOlL, but in all actuality this year is going to be fun, we met a local couple that are Halloween nuts like us and did a haunt for years but decided to take their haunt to an one wheels (Zombie Response Team Jeep). They are collaborating and helping us with our ideas this year, I'm personally wanting to get the over the top looks as people come to our house. Muhahahahahaha!!!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts