Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i really want a coffin this year..but needs to b like super cheap i dk ifs hinges r missing, idk ifs toe-pincher and idk if it has scratches or whatever on it..and i need to b able to pick it up..i have a ford escape..with a hatch..so can someone pretty please get me 1????Thx for any info or tips or tricks,,,:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i live in 76084...but my budget is very low..and like i said in the post..idk if it has scratches,dents,real rust or moss or what have u on it..i think it adds to the character...whats your cheapest model and make...and of course shipping to 76084..thx for any info

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow christmascandy1! I know the feeling - when you get that coffin craving - there's no stopping you!!

Even though you are in TEXAS - you might try starting (gulp - dare I say it to a Texan...) small on the coffin idea if time and money are an issue.

A couple years ago -- We had some great success building a styrofoam version - spray painting it and putting lots of creepy moss and dripping goo on the sides. We even built it with a lid and put a skeleton hand hanging out of the coffin. It was light-weight and easy to store. The next year - our coffin urge got the better of us and we purchased a very cool hand made wood coffin from a seller on E-Bay. It is perfect for our living room/vampire display.

Now I see some EXTREMELY cool coffins just today on the Forum in the Props section - handmade using old pallet wood. Forum folk seem to have EVERYTHING! The foam version can tie you over (and up!) until you get or build the real thing. Good luck! and .... BOO!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you thought about making one out of pallets ?? I'm doing that for the first time this year. You should be able to get all the pallets you need for free, and there are directions all over the place on how to build it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those sounds like great ideas but both r something i cannot do:(..i most unlike the ppl on here..couldnt make a play-doh pumpkin..(that is true)...i am not very craft savy..but if i thought i could make a coffin..i think that would b awesome..we dont even own tools for that...(no saw,nothing)..my dh is just as un-crafty as me:(..sucks i know...ill keep looking and hopefully something will come my way...but ty for the great advice both of...u!! and boo raight back at u!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actualyl hallowsusie boo...to b honest i was born and raised in Ohio...(howdy old neighbor)....im from warren ohio...born and raised there till 96 when i came here....and beleive me there r some that dont get offended how (small) some Texas things really r///

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,521 Posts
Another non-Texan in Texas here. :eek:

Have you checked your local Craigslist? I've seen coffins (real and made) on there from time to time and they should be posting more of them due to it getting close to the season.

Also, there is a cardboard coffin for pretty cheap :
but they're out of stock right now. :(

Decaying Coffin
Foam coffin for $70, 4 feet tall

This is TOTALLY do-able for someone even without powertools and with little building skills. You get the foamcore (2 sheets, 1/2" maybe $17 total), some foamsafe glue, a good boxknife, and a metal ruler. Cut out the pattern for a toepincher (you can probably find decent examples on this forum with drawings, or ask a poster that has built one if they could help you out) and cut all of the pieces out using the knife, glue them together with the glue and paint it. You could probably make your own basic coffin that would be waterproof even since it's made from foam for under $30 (counting the paint, brushes and the knife purchase) :D

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,521 Posts
It wouldn't be sturdy enough for a real person, but it would be great for props! :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scarefx.com has plans for building a Full size Toe Pincher Coffin for roughly $25.00. Just look under their "How To Projects" section

Also, Kentuckyfx.com has some toe pincher coffins for sale on their website. The groundbreaker coffin is affordable. Look unser Halloween Props and Misc. section.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
719 Posts
That's hysterical dude. "These are cheap....$449."
well, real caskets go for over a thousand, sometimes a few thousand, so yes, for a real casket, $449 IS cheap. And you would have a hard time building one that was as good and looked as real ;)

or you could build your own like I did, but for a nice realistic looking one materials are still going to cost some money

Scott's coffin How-To

·
Registered
719 Posts
wow, when I was heavy into Halloween (about 9yrs ago) I belonged to a few forums where people strived for the most realistic displays possible and would kill to use or own a real casket/coffin, things sure have changed in the Halloween community.

I understand price being an issue but I dont understand "thats just kinda werid lol".......

·
Registered
129 Posts
My View Point on it is that i want the biggest greatest Haunt possible but at the same time i dont want to offend people. I just want to make People and manly kids happy each year. Hence for me the real coffins would never work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts