Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and get one of my life-long desires: a professional cotton-candy machine. You know, the kind they have at carnivals and fairs. I broke down and ordered it tonight. So here is my question: The cotton candy sugar comes in a zillion colors, one of which is orange...one might say a bright pumpkin color. So this gets me thinking.....in addition to using this thing for summer BBQ's and such....do you think this might work as a Halloween treat too? My husband volunteered to dress as the clown from "IT" and serve it up to the trick or treaters. I'm wondering though, if parents would let thier children accept a "home-made" treat like that? It would be a make to order type thing, with "IT" spinning the sugar as the kids watch. I would still give out the usual candy of course. The "Flossing-sugar" is surprisingly cheap anyway, so even if I got 100 kids (which I won't) it wouldn't cost me more than 5 bucks for the sugar supply. Also, I don't have a circus theme or anything,just a general haunted house..witches, ghosts, monsters, all the usual suspects. Would a clown look too out of place? I'd love some feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Wow that seems like a tough one. I am not sure if I would let my kid eat cotton candy at night plus all the TOT candy. :) I think that most parents in this time and age wouldn't be too fond of the idea of home made cotton candy. However, this is what makes this country great, you can put up your cotton candy machine and if kids want some and their parents say yes, then where is the harm in that.

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See? You can tell I don't have any kids...the thought of cotton candy being "extra sugar" didn't even cross my mind! lol. I'm lucky in the fact that I live in a relatively small town and most of our visitors know us or have been coming for years, so maybe the whole stranger-thing wouldn't be too much of an issue. I would make my husband wear food service gloves anyway of course, just to maintain hygeine. I think maybe I just rationalized my purchase by saying "Well I can use it for Halloween TOO you know!" lol

·
Vicious Dog Wrangler
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like your way of thinking. I'll remember that when I start to debate the snow cone machine ;-)

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Just an FYI. At Transworld, they were giving out cotton candy that fluoresces under black light. I Googled black light cotton candy and couldn't find a specific product. So I'm thinking that perhaps some of the flavors naturally are fluorescent under black light. If so, it would be cool to have a black light by your candy machine so kids can see it. They won't forget it, that's for sure.

·
SuperBeast
1,641 Posts
I think I could let my kids have a little extra sugar one night out of the year. I think that's a great idea. Maybe you could make a stencil and airbrush a quick jack-o-lantern face onto each one with some food coloring.

See, stuff like that is the reason I have such fond memories of Halloween as a kid. Only one or two "special" houses along the route can give the kids in your neighborhood the same good memories. Certainly worth the price of a cotton candy machine, in my opinion. Great idea.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you mind telling us how much a cotton candy machine costs? I think it's a great idea for giving out on Halloween! I would recommend plastic bags like you get at carnivals so the kids have the option of eating it later.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I think the cotton cany idea is great, and i wish i could get one also. I would definately make a creepy clown prop to be standing there with it though.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I personally like the idea of offering cotton candy to the TOT's, especially if given out by an evil clown:cool: If the parents don't want their kids to have any (there are bound to be some), all they have to say is "no thanks", though I think many of them would probably allow it. It won't hurt to at least try your idea. Who knows, maybe you'll start a new tradition in your neighborhood...

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
I wouldn't think cotton candy that is made right in front of them would be a big problem - I'd eat it, and if I had kids, I'd let them have it too. :)

Makes me kind of want to do this too! Great idea!

·
Registered
55 Posts
As a dad of 6, I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's no different than getting cotton candy at a fair or a roadside vendor. That's a great idea. Wish I would have thought of it. Good luck and let us know how you do.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Growing up, there was a house that gave out cotton candy.
But that was then. Things are different now. But if people know you in your neighborhood, why not.

I bought Gold Medal's Breeze model 2 yrs ago after my son was born.
I rationalized it by saying it would be used for his b'days and halloween.

But with all the props and displays I have. I havent been able to use it for Halloween.
But I was planing on using the plastic bags.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think you should do it! I would have LOVED to get orange CC as a kid...actually I would love to get orange CC as an adult on Halloween...lol

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
I have to say I am known as a very tough mom when it comes to raising her kids and granted my kids are beyond the TOT age now ......that said If they were smaller I would definately let them have some cotton candy on Halloween. I mean its one night for heaven sakes let them live a little:) I think its a great idea. Last year I had one of those huge carnival popcorn machines outside my house and every single person who came by let their kid have some. It was a big hit. I plan on doing it again this year.
I say rev that puppy up and make all the cotton candy your little heart desires. Even if not everyone takes at least the ones that do will have a special treat:)

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I would almost be more likely to let the kids eat cotton candy made in front of them than the bag full of candy they bring home. You get to see it made & know exactly where it came from.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I like the idea! My parents threw out the homemade candy we got, unless they knew who it was from. But maybe if they see you make it right there infront of them it would be different??

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
i think offering it is a great idea , and making it halloween night in front of the kids even better , i would put it in a plastic bag so they can eat it later as well....the glowing or fluorescent cotton candy idea sounds great too i would go for it .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts