Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The majority of my haunt is ghosts and cemetery items, lots of battery operated things. So putting them in the rain is a no go. Looks like the rain is a real good possibility at this point so.. I need a Plan B

I have a covered porch so I could hang one of my cheese cloth ghosts there and put my skeleton in the chair sitting there. I can plug all my plastic smaller JOLs around the porch and door and hang my mummy lights from the walkway.

I'd hang my Jack Skeleton in the other front window with creepy cloth behind it and a light shining on him from the floor up (maybe blue) and put my fog machine right by the door with the pop up Grandin Road ghost.

What do you all think, everything is protected and won't get wet and it's decorated so kids see it if they come. But cemetery can't go in nor can the cheese cloth ghosts in the trees, no bones in the yard or lights in the grass sigh or my floating ghost in the trees. :( But at least it's decorated. I can put my blue flood light up the front of the house too!

Hmmm

Oh and I can crack the window and put the speaker in the living room near the porch entry for my cemetery music and sounds. Flickering Candles in the windows and I think that will work if it rains hard.

Anyone have a Plan B for bad weather?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, with the amount of rain forecasted here (Thur. afternoon to Fri. morning, with heavy downpours), unfortunately my plan B is to turn off the porch light. We had light rain last year until about 7pm and only got about 20 ToTs. We usually get 70-80.

What really stinks is, as I type this, I'm sitting on my sunny patio drinking an adult beverage, monitoring the ribs on my smoker, when I should be setting up my graveyard in the front yard.

I'm going to hold out 'till the bitter end and hope for a change in the weather, then bust a hump Wednesday evening and Thursday afternoon to get everything setup.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what gets me too its beautiful out and all week it's gorgeous. Thursday nope overcast and rain and we haven't had rain for weeks. This really sucks.

Sounds like you are getting heavy rains?

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
My B plan is my A plan plus a 10x10 pop up pavilion.

My A plan is the world's biggest candy bowl, consisting of a steel casket with a skeleton inside, with the skeleton's rib cage stuffed full of candy. :D

I'm adding lighting in gaslight green inside the casket, and the sound will have to wait until next year as I crushed a trigger with the casket lid.

On the pop up pavilion, I'll outline the entry with orange string lights and set up my carved "Welcome" funkin on a small table next to the entrance. I might also whip up a small entry sign, since I have some spare cash kicking around at the moment. I'll probably put out some witch lanterns as well and set up a sound system under the garage overhang to play some background music.

I am not looking forward to rummaging in the garage. Rain on Halloween sucks.

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,603 Posts
Lots of rain in the forecast for our area, too. We barely get ToTs as it is...usually 20-25...the rain will probably make that a good zero. :( Nothing much will be changed for my decor though, as my graveyard is up all October long. It gets rained on often, even snowed on last week! I just won't be able to light my skull tiki torches... :(

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
My graveyard is weatherproof and has been up all month. The only thing I won't be able to run is my dancing ghoul couple, as they have battery operated light up eyes.
The main adjustment will be to find something to do with all the candy I've bought, because rain will mean very few trick or treaters.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
We usually get bad weather so there isn't much we put out that isn't mostly weather safe. Although it's usually snow we're dealing with not rain.

But the plan B usually comes in on take down. Where am I gonna put this stuff to melt and dry? A coven of witches in the tub just seems like a bad idea.

Hope the forecast is wrong for you folks expecting rain.

·
that dude ain't right
615 Posts
Gonna rain here too. I'm gonna set up under the carport. Graveyard near by, but no lights in it. All motion stuff will not be out. I usually have a lantern hanging on a fishing string spanned between 2 trees. Not gonna happen this year. I guess if there's a year to be like this then this year would be it. I haven't really gotten into my standard "decorat the snot out of my house" mood. Still sucks though. CFL's don't like the rain.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Yea, we have a threat of rain here in N.C. too. Hopefully the weather will change before Halloween.

But, my plan B would be to run my "Ghost Maid" DVD in the upper window and have my moving skeleton silhouette in another window. I already have my FCG flying in a large window over the front door and "Benny Bones" peering out of the upper attic window.

One idea I had a while back incase of a rain-out was to mount different colored spotlights (or any lights) in all of the house windows and run them to my Gemmy Light Show Box. Then the house would have random lights flashing in all of the windows.

You could also cut out some scary silhouettes out of cardboard and tape them to the windows. Or even use your props that you would have put in the yard as window silhouettes. They might as well get some use!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I don't get a lot of ToT's anyway, I live sort of out of the way. But when I used to take my kids trick or treating which was only 2 years ago we stopped. I always took my kids even if it rained. I don't think it rained very often, at least I can't remember it but there is no rain date for Halloween so do kids actually have to miss it if it rains? do some of you not take your kids in the rain? I'm not judging, just curious because I dont really think I saw much of drop off in ToT's when we were out and about so I was just wondering. Kids would be so disappointed , not to mention if you bought a costume.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
another quick question for those of you who put out lights ect. and have experienced rain. Do flood lights and or string lights that are for outside do ok in the rain or is it dangerous to run them? also what about the store bought tombstones? will they be trashed if rained on?

·
Registered
87 Posts
another quick question for those of you who put out lights ect. and have experienced rain. Do flood lights and or string lights that are for outside do ok in the rain or is it dangerous to run them? also what about the store bought tombstones? will they be trashed if rained on?
As long as the lights are rated for outdoor use, and have not been damaged or modified, you're fine. I've never had a problem with store bought tombstones and rain

·
Registered
374 Posts
Houston is forecast for Rain 70 percent. Plan B is to not open the second bag of candy....it will be an early night. The only thing I won't put out is the gravestone creeper, which is weather proof, but with rain won't be noticed. Like Madame Leota, my lights are all outdoor and stay on through the rain. I won't take down my shadow people and scarecrow until the weekend anyway. Yes, after months of drought....put out decorations and here comes the rain.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Sookie, sounds like your Plan B is similar to ours when it rains...covered porch and windows. One of these years soon I hope to,have the garage cleared out and ready to use as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sookie, sounds like your Plan B is similar to ours when it rains...covered porch and windows. One of these years soon I hope to,have the garage cleared out and ready to use as well.
I totally WISH I had a front porch. I certainly could do quite a bit with full length porch. I certainly have that on the list on the next house I move into.

At any rate, up to now I been doing my Magic Mirror routine since 2009 on the side entrance vestibule of my parent's home. Since 2009, I have expanded on the yard display. This year I have the largest display yet, with three main attractions and some other Halloween decorations. Being that the only thing that is under covers is my Magic Mirror, pretty much everything I have set up outside CAN handle a drizzle to a mild rain...but I have my doubts if most my items can handle a torential rain. The Magic Mirror itself is a LCD computer display while mostly enclosed, does have the back somewhat exposed. There are also material curtains forming the frame to the facade for the mirror. That facade is also made out of material and cardboard. Needless to say, a light rain, OK, but anything more than that and I would have to shut the Magic Mirror down. However, I have been working on some sort of 'Plan B', in which I could operate the Magic Mirror with the vestibule door closed, but I have not fully ironed out the details of that.

As for the rest of the outside decorations, things are made more interesting is that most of my items are electrical lighting and also 120 volt. While normally not a good combination, they are rated for outdoor use as much of it is string lights and some commercial outdoor light fixtures that I had put together. But outside of a drizzle or light rain, it would have to go off.

The only thing that is battery operated is my scare, which is a Spirit Jumping Spider. Sadly that is with a flowerbed, next to a bush with very little cover. The spider seems mostly cloth and material based and more then likely cannot get wet. This I am keeping in mind and I do have a plastic bag nearby that I can toss over the spider...also since the spider is battery operated, I can just pick the thing up and bring it in the house.

The singing pumpkins are the tough one as there are some items that can get wet and some that can't. I do have a tarp nearby that I can toss over the arch I created for the pumpkins and that would offer some protection.

In short, overall, I would be fine with a drizzle to light rain, but anything heavier than that would force a complete shut down and I certainly will not be happy about that. Since I been doing a Halloween display from 2009, I really have had only ONE good night in regards to weather.

Here is my run down:

2009 - Debut Magic Mirror, High Winds all night
2010 - Debut Gordo the Great Pumpkin (based on Magic Mirror setup), Debut singing pumpkins, High Winds for most of the night
2011 - Returned to Magic Mirror, Debut Hallowindows, Had an early snow in the day, but by night the snow melted and it ended up being a beautiful evening. Best Halloween thusfar.
2012 - Hurricane Sandy took out the power to my location so I had to change gears from my original plans of the Magic Mirror and return of the singing pumpkins. I broke out my 'Plan B' for that year, which was the Hip Swami in which I operated out of the same setup as the Magic Mirror, but used mostly battery operated devices.
2013 - Magic Mirror, Return of the Singing Pumpkins, debut of my first scare, which is a Spirit Jumping Spider. Weather is a ?????

The reason for the '????' is that up until this afternoon, it seemed like we were going to have a clear week of sunny to party cloudy days. However, tonight I heard that Wednesday morning, rain is going to roll in. THAT is something that isn't sitting well with me as Wednesday night I wanted to have everything set up for a 'dry run' (basically in theatre parlance, a dress rehersal) for my display. Depending on how bad the rains are going to be could really hamper my setup.

As for Halloween, the weather is up in the air. But I know one thing is certain, IF we get a torrential rain or some other disasterous weather outcome for Halloween, which causes me to shut down for the night, I am seriously going to consider putting an end to Halloween displays. At lest put an end to the size of the displays I put on. It is just a considerable amount of work that goes into my displays and the planning which I do in the summer, to the construction which I do in September, to the actual setup which I mostly do on every weekend in October...and then to have it dashed because of weather.

This is why I mentioned above that I would DIE to have something like a front porch to set mostly everything up on.

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that Wednesday will be the ONLY day this week we have rain.

Geo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts