1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
This was posted on the local news FB page today.

http://www.wnem.com/story/23632313/midlothian-family-defends-extremely-offensive-halloween-display''

Plus this last week:
http://www.wnem.com/story/23618993/controversial-photo-causing-a-stir

I'm sick and tired of people ruining this holiday. And to the second video. If that is "black face on that kid than the person that did it needs to be fired. They seemed to have missed 95% of his face with the paint. COME ON!!!
LOL. I'd be totally like "What? Blackface?! No! Hell no! He dropped the green paint stick from the camo kit in the toilet. Would you put something that's been in the toilet on your face?" :D

I'm starting to think that there is just this culture brewing that hates holidays for the sake of hating holidays. Can't say I blame them. After the hell that is my mother's Christmas, I can understand wanting nothing to do with the holidays. But ruining it for everyone else is just wrong. Go bury your head in the sand instead of making an idiotic damned fuss!

What? You want an example of my mother's christmas hell? Okay. 16 years old, 4AM Christmas morning, I was wrapping gifts meant for me, and had spent all night wrapping presents my mother couldn't be bothered to wrap in a timely manner. She doesn't give a damn if you know what you're getting from her, but she absolutely must see you unwrap it. And of course, there has to be ribbons and bows on every damned thing, too. Then hey, get up three hours later because my sisters got to sleep instead of wrapping their own damned things, so I can get stuck cooking breakfast while trying to clean up the heaps of wrapping refuse. Once all the presents are unwrapped and the trash is out the back door, its time for everyone to kick back and relax... except me, who then has to get started on the damned christmas dinner.

Yeah, I can understand hating a holiday, but I can't understand trying to ruin all of them for everyone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Halloween is truly one of those holidays that truly baffles me as a Christian.

How it is entirely blown out of proportion whithin the Christian community. Especially here in the south in the "Bible belt".

"We can't celebrate it.....it's pagan. :eek:

It's history is pagan. It's just not Christian.

And that's true. It really is.

But for these very same sooo involved Christians, Christmas get a "free pass", nary without a thought.

Halloween is pagan...???!! Really. :confused:

Let's take a look.:

Saint Nicolaus was a honest to God real person, and a ordained saint. He wasn't a fat elf that lived on the North pole, that is immortal. This made up lie we have about him dishonors his real history. To me, it's the same as if we taught our children that George Washington had bat wings, and flew down our chimneys on Halloween night to give candy to poor children.

A "magical" snowman named "Frosty" that dances around. Pagan. Magic is pagan,
That yule log?....Pagan
Christmas tree...Pagan
"Magical" flying Reindeer. Pagan
Mistletoe...Pagan.

Most Christians don't even know who "Bellsnickel" is.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belsnickel

Now there's a true figure that would keep Christian children in fright about being bad.

As a Christian, I can tell you there's nothing wrong about celebrating Halloween. Most people here are not pagan, nor celebrate it's true history, which was NOT to worship evil, but rather to keep and scare it away. Our kids are not building altars of skulls and blood to worship Lord Satan. They're just dressing up as G.I. Joe, Barbie, or some other monsters to scare true monsters away, not to worship them; and score some yummy treats. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

The very same people that are hollering that Halloween is pagan and evil, are probably the same people decorating for the "pagan" version of "Christmas", and the even more pagan "Easter".

Almost every single Christian holiday has an absolute pagan history in the past.

And many Christian ministers have agreed with me about this. Especially on this matter. Early Christian ministers wanted to convert the local populace to the faith, so they just used their holidays (Holy Days) and converted them to "newer" Christian beliefs, to win them over, because they were used to celebrating at these specific times of years. The yearly Equinoxes, soltitices...whatever.

Halloween, right as we practice it now, is no more "evil" than July 4th.

It's just a fun night to show our love, and kindness for the day to our fellow communties. To share with our neighbors, and give a few scares.

And as a devout Christian, I say there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Just keep it real, and let common sense prevail.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I really think now days people go around looking for reasons to be offended. This is part of the reason my husband and I don't do a haunt at home anymore. We stick to doing a bunch of campground haunts instead. Much funner for us since all the people there are into it as much as we are.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I believe there is something sort of odd about October and especially it's last day.
"Odd",in this case is from nature itself and can't be classified as "evil".
If you were to be keeping track of time with a sundial and a mechanical watch the period around the end of October and the first of November you would find this is when the largest variation exists between mechanical and solar measured time, possibly creating a situation in which people see or sense fluxuations in their world around them. Maybe it is just a sensory oddity.. or maybe a time warp sort of thing........NOT a reason to take legal action against yard ornaments.

·
I am the one who knocks
1,939 Posts
View attachment 177740

This happened here last year. Christmas display of 44 years as the target.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/19/3822051/city-ordinance-kills-christmas.html

He lost and was effectively shut down. http://fox4kc.com/2012/09/18/christmas-display-will-move-away-from-prairie-village/

Now you know the REAL reason Terra moved. :D

Holy Griswold. In spite of my opinion of that holiday, I feel bad for the guy. I'm in complete agreement with the thread title, and could come up with an encyclopedia of reasons why.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
View attachment 177740

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/19/3822051/city-ordinance-kills-christmas.html

He lost and was effectively shut down. http://fox4kc.com/2012/09/18/christmas-display-will-move-away-from-prairie-village/

Holy ****

$500 for a damned one way sign?!

They're a standardized product! I can buy one for $37 and the pole with mounting hardware for another $12! Less than 1/10 the cost that town is charging! Profiteering BS crap like that is what makes me wish there was a hunting season so we could cull the herd of useless politicians in this country...

·
Registered
814 Posts
This was posted on the local news FB page today.

http://www.wnem.com/story/23632313/midlothian-family-defends-extremely-offensive-halloween-display''

Plus this last week:
http://www.wnem.com/story/23618993/controversial-photo-causing-a-stir

I'm sick and tired of people ruining this holiday. And to the second video. If that is "black face on that kid than the person that did it needs to be fired. They seemed to have missed 95% of his face with the paint. COME ON!!!

Ok people like this really annoy me.

"To any passersby it looks like a dead man," said the viewer who wished to remain anonymous. "How am I supposed to explain that to my kids while we wait at the red light? I shouldn't have to

How stupid is this woman? You explain to your kids ITS A PROP and NOT REAL. My God the lack of personal responsibility some people in this country put on display is incredible.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
People just need a reason to B#[email protected]!. What a joke. Seriously grow some fun balls and get over it. I seriously hate that not only do the people B#$&! about it but the media publicises it. So stupid.
True.. When the media publicise it, it encourages the boring, talentless, jealous people with nothing better to do to go seek their own five minutes of fame by appearing on local TV for a few seconds.
However, on the flip side..There is a showbiz saying that "There is no such thing as bad publicity". As haunters, I suppose we are technically in "show" business...so maybe a little public controversy and local publicity could be good for attracting people to a haunt?

ps..There is no way that hanging guy in the maze is made up to look anything other than Caucasian. People really need to stop looking for something that isn't there. It makes them look foolish.

·
Registered
68 Posts
View attachment 177740

So... how bout he opens on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday each week. That's less than the required 5 days! Or he gets donations to pay for the sign and the cops...

How silly!!!

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
People just need a reason to B#[email protected]!. What a joke. Seriously grow some fun balls and get over it. I seriously hate that not only do the people B#$&! about it but the media publicises it. So stupid.

GAHHHHHHHHH!

NO!!

Nobody is growing any fun balls!

I don't want my fun balls slapping against her fun balls when we're having fun together!

Grow yourself a different euphemism, dammit!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Halloween is truly one of those holidays that truly baffles me as a Christian.

How it is entirely blown out of proportion whithin the Christian community. Especially here in the south in the "Bible belt".

"We can't celebrate it.....it's pagan. :eek:

It's history is pagan. It's just not Christian.

And that's true. It really is.

But for these very same sooo involved Christians, Christmas get a "free pass", nary without a thought.

Halloween is pagan...???!! Really. :confused:

Let's take a look.:

Saint Nicolaus was a honest to God real person, and a ordained saint. He wasn't a fat elf that lived on the North pole, that is immortal. This made up lie we have about him dishonors his real history. To me, it's the same as if we taught our children that George Washington had bat wings, and flew down our chimneys on Halloween night to give candy to poor children.

A "magical" snowman named "Frosty" that dances around. Pagan. Magic is pagan,
That yule log?....Pagan
Christmas tree...Pagan
"Magical" flying Reindeer. Pagan
Mistletoe...Pagan.

Most Christians don't even know who "Bellsnickel" is.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belsnickel

Now there's a true figure that would keep Christian children in fright about being bad.

As a Christian, I can tell you there's nothing wrong about celebrating Halloween. Most people here are not pagan, nor celebrate it's true history, which was NOT to worship evil, but rather to keep and scare it away. Our kids are not building altars of skulls and blood to worship Lord Satan. They're just dressing up as G.I. Joe, Barbie, or some other monsters to scare true monsters away, not to worship them; and score some yummy treats. Nothing more, and certainly nothing less.

The very same people that are hollering that Halloween is pagan and evil, are probably the same people decorating for the "pagan" version of "Christmas", and the even more pagan "Easter".

Almost every single Christian holiday has an absolute pagan history in the past.

And many Christian ministers have agreed with me about this. Especially on this matter. Early Christian ministers wanted to convert the local populace to the faith, so they just used their holidays (Holy Days) and converted them to "newer" Christian beliefs, to win them over, because they were used to celebrating at these specific times of years. The yearly Equinoxes, soltitices...whatever.

Halloween, right as we practice it now, is no more "evil" than July 4th.

It's just a fun night to show our love, and kindness for the day to our fellow communties. To share with our neighbors, and give a few scares.

And as a devout Christian, I say there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Just keep it real, and let common sense prevail.
My friend, I am sitting here sipping my Fall Cider & Rum drink reading your post and I raise my glass in your honor!!!!!!!! AT LAST! AT LAST! A fellow notch in the "Bible Belt" that gets it! And a Christian at that! WOW! I AM a Neo- Pagan (Druid) This means I revere nature first and foremost. (I heard your God created "Nature"....if you believe this, thank him for me next time you two talk ok?)

You are the first Christian/Southerner I have ever heard admit that a huge amount of "Christian" Holidays, Rituals, Traditions and practices , started with Pagans of old long before Christ himself!

Just yesterday I had a "Church Lady" come to my door to complain about the life size monsters etc. in my yard haunt. She had a big problem with my female zombie and wanted me to take it all down! She explained that she believes that the Devil is real and will use such things as Halloween decorations to lure people to Satin. (I will talk about this more in another post) I just want to thank you for being an open minded Christian....wish the South had more like you!

·
Registered
152 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think it looks great. Too many party poopers around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts