Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to have a Texas chainsaw room this year.
In the room, I am going to have one of my original props that sits up.
It's arms are cut off and it has blood all over it. Not too gory.
You can see him here at min 2:00
YouTube - Chestnut Hill Haunted House 08 Vid 2

Another prop is my new kicking body bag. Still not too gory.
You can see him here.
YouTube - Body Bag

I will have body parts hanging and all over the place.
An actor will come running out dressed as leatherface with a fake chainsaw with noise.

Here is the topper.
I am thinking of adding something like the following to hang by the kicking body bag.
halloween prop SET OF 2 TORSO'S in morgue body bags - eBay (item 260483824809 end time Oct-01-09 21:51:46 PDT)

My son is all for doing it. My wife and daughter both think that this is over the top too gory.

Vote:
Too Gory
Not Gory

·
Registered
175 Posts
I say do it :D

Of course I go way over the top and many think my yard is to gory and to scary for halloween. Half the kids won't even come up to my house, I love it lol.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where is Option 3 - perfect.

Those are pretty sweet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats not too gory at all. Last year, I had a butchers table with an actor that would reach into the stomach of a body I had made out of newspaper and clothing. I left a hole in the middle for a bowl. In the bowl was fake intestine soaked in fake blood that I had also made. With a strobe on him he would reach into that bowl and pull those intestines out and start playing with them. They would drip blood and dangle in the air. SO NASTY! But look awesome. lol so no, you're not too gory at all. At least by my standards. :eek:

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seriously depends on your target audience. Obviously, no young kids are going to come up to your house. With that said, I would NOT have those out in "public" view. Maybe tuck them around a corner somewhere where they would not be viewed on accident from the street. That could scar some kid for life...

I have "two" themes this year. For the first two hours, I will have much more gentle atmospheric music and visuals. After 8:00 pm, my display is ramped up to include some much scarier effects for the older crowds. My wife is much happier knowing I've chosen to do this.

In your case, It sounds like you are targeting older kids right from the get-go. It might help to put a sign out front clearing stating that
"This display is targeted toward 13+ ONLY".

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Your yard, your call. Its not like it could be any worse than what they show in theatres and on T.V.

·
Super Moderator
5,883 Posts
So do yard. Parents. :p
Not nearly the same.

The rating system is designed for the parents to make an informed decision of what kinds of things to expect from the programming PRIOR to viewing/allowing the kids to view.

Yards do not, unless you so choose to post one.

So, gore does have some level of age-appropriateness. Determining a target audience is the first step in knowing if it is, indeed, too much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not nearly the same.

The rating system is designed for the parents to make an informed decision of what kinds of things to expect from the programming PRIOR to viewing/allowing the kids to view.

Yards do not, unless you so choose to post one.

So, gore does have some level of age-appropriateness. Determining a target audience is the first step in knowing if it is, indeed, too much.
Maybe you didn't see the ":p" I know what a rating system is, but thanks for the lesson.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Honestly, I would not want to go in there. I'm just not into gore. And I wouldn't want little kids going in there.

·
Where wolf?
1,277 Posts
Lordy I'm intending to openly display my "harvested torso" if done on time on the porch. But it's target is more the teenage party I throw for my boy's bday. This is in preparation to my witch stirring pot prop and scene I've yet to start for next year. :)

I say T&T'er beware! Bwahahahaha.

·
Hauntless
8,381 Posts
I don't go for gore so my opinion will be skewed. Also, you will need to give the parents a heads up on that amount of gore for their little ones.

For me, that level of gore is for private parties.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is in our neighborhood haunted house in the clubhouse.
We build a maze inside with several different rooms.
This is going to be at the end with an actor and chainsaw.
There are usually some young kids that come through but mostly teenagers.
We get about 1000 people come through.
I was thinking of having an alternate way out with a sign that says something like "This way for whimps!"

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Uno
I hacked the Bloody Mary from Universal Studios website last year.
Don't tell anyone!

Not using her this year. The video is all vampires now!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts