Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else just ready for it to be over already?!? :eek:
No? It's just me then? Well, ok.

I knew I was starting too soon back in the summer but I had the idea that I could escape some real-life horrors that were going on in my family by throwing myself into my favorite hobby. A brief distraction but it just made the season drag out too long and besides, I still had to deal with all the other stuff I mentioned anyway. So it was too much like work and not enough play this year and I think I'm done.

Of course, I'll wake up the day after feeling like Linus and Charlie Brown like I always do, I'm sure ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sometimes I get that feeling, but we go all out with indoor decor and are throwing a party this year. So I can't get help but get that feeling sometimes with all the stress that throwing a Halloween party (while trying to build my costume at the same time) can cause.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sorry to hear about your recent difficulties. Hope things are able to get better.

I don't do anywhere NEAR enough prep - mostly because I don't want to burden my family with my hobby during the year. I'm one of those people who "sneak" Halloween finds into the house and hide them away until October. So every October ends in a time crunch. I might be happy when it's all over- but in a satisfied sort of way.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I always get that way shortly before our party...it's like I've stared at everything so long I'm just ready to take it down. This year my plan was the same as yours to use it as a distraction but as time dragged on and season came near we had to cancel our party (do to said issues)...that being said...I had to convince myself it wasn't the worst thing ever...

Now, I'm kinda loving this down time and considering only doing big parties every other year :)

Anyway I hope you get your spirit back and I hope life starts settling down....

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
It's been a year of upheaval here, and I decided I wasn't going to stress myself out trying to get everything out, making it a chore. So I only put out my favorite things and have been really enjoying it.

Hopefully this week will go well for you, and Saturday will be a fun Halloween to remember.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,979 Posts
I feel that way at some point every year, moreso this year for various reasons.

After last year's ToTer turnout, 30, I'm just not that jazzed for this year. I have the indoor stuff up & I've decided to just put out the mass of pumpkins in the yard this year because we have apparently become crime central (NOT) & the school next door has installed super bright parking lot lights that illuminate the one dark spot near the house I used to use for the smaller cemetery.

I had to go with the smaller cemetery a few years ago because the streetlight directly across from our house lights up the REST of our front yard. It's not that I don't have ANY dark yard anymore, I have plenty of dark side yard, I just don't have the help, time or gumption to set it up.

The damn lighting situation has really bummed me out. I know ways around it but I just can't get my act together this year.

I'm not even doing the Hallowindow in the front window this year. We have to put it on a cat tree which means 1)both cats being Helpy Cats & "helping" & 2)the cords & cat tree make the LR hard to navigate. If my in-laws come over there's just not enough room for everyone. I may still do it in the office or BRs, I don't know yet.

So now I'm going to attempt to find my hot knife to do some fake pumpkins this week, make the ToT bags sooner rather than later to attempt to keep some candy in the house instead of in my husband's stomach & make chili Friday night for dinner on Saturday.

As it was, I spent this last weekend cleaning up & trying to get the indoors "just so." I lit all the candles & all the stuff inside, etc.& took a night to enjoy it because come the big night I never get to step back & enjoy it.

One year I wanna take the month off & really do things right.

I feel ya Madame, I really do **fistbump**.:(

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,979 Posts
FTR, I also feel this way about Christmas at some point too.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
FTR, I also feel this way about Christmas at some point too.
Oh I totally get this way about Christmas! I get SO burned out by the time it arrivest! But then again I feel like I have to make a "Hallmark Christmas" for my kids and that means tons of money, tons of "events" to drag all of us to...tons of "family" dinners...all the shopping...wrapping...let's all make tons of cookies and mess up the kitchen to kingdom come while the kids lose interest within 5 minutes and spend the other 20 minutes eating the dough..."gotta" get a gift for every teacher (total of 9 including aides; special ed)...it's just too much.

But that's probably on me, I COULD take control and take it down a notch, I'm the mom. :)

If I had an "official" haunt with a walk-through I'll bet I'd feel more this way about Halloween than I do. There's just so much stress, hoping everyone will love it, hoping everything will go right, etc. So I can see that.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,163 Posts
I always get that way shortly before our party...it's like I've stared at everything so long I'm just ready to take it down. This year my plan was the same as yours to use it as a distraction but as time dragged on and season came near we had to cancel our party (do to said issues)...that being said...I had to convince myself it wasn't the worst thing ever...

Now, I'm kinda loving this down time and considering only doing big parties every other year :)

Anyway I hope you get your spirit back and I hope life starts settling down....
Ditto what she said....Its nice to have a year off, do a couple projects to keep the local friends and fam happy with the decor, and go have some fun! This year especially I really didn't care of you could see an extension cord or two, side of the crosses were lacking in paint. Oh well. No one really notices!! Except if all of you lived around me!! lol

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
DH & I were both feeling overwhelmed on Saturday. We had gotten some things done, but it never seems like enough, KWIM? And DH is out of town for work Sun-Wed, so we knew a serious time-crunch was also coming, especially because I'm hosting guests here for a playdate on Thursday morning. I can say that on Saturday night, we both just sort of felt like "Ugh... why are we doing this to ourselves?!". But even though DH hasn't been here, I got a TON done on Sunday, and have been doing a fair amount today too. It's finally feeling like the inside rooms are decorated and clean (except for more vacuuming), and because I'm now looking around and seeing decorations instead of bins, disorder & things to do, I'm feeling A LOT more in the mood! Hopefully DH will feel that way when he walks in Wednesday night and sees that the inside is mostly ready to go for Saturday.

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, this would have been the year to take off and I would have had it not been falling on a Saturday. Since it's a weekend, my daughter who lives three hours away is going to be able to join us - yay! Plus, I already had neighborhood kids stopping by to ask what we were going to do this year. I just couldn't back out.
And it's not like I haven't enjoyed most of it. I do like the way the yard turned out. It's just felt more like work than it should.

But I am really thinking next year may be the year I finally take that fall vacation I've always wanted! :D

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I only feel that way about my party, I've been ready for it to be over for about two weeks - and now it is! It was fun but now I have this whole week to relax and enjoy my decorations, scary movies, etc. The best week of the year.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Plus, I already had neighborhood kids stopping by to ask what we were going to do this year. I just couldn't back out.
And it's not like I haven't enjoyed most of it. I do like the way the yard turned out.

I had that happen a few times when they didn't see anything going up. Those times were when I was working out of town and didn't have time to put anything up. When that's happen, I've had TOT's ring my doorbell with the lights off. That makes me feel bad. So when I can, I always put something up and this year I took this week off to go all out for once.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,890 Posts
I'm stuck in the opposite situation, I didn't want my wife to give me the "are you kidding me?" look if started before summer like I usually do so I didn't and now I'm paying for it because I'm way behind..

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,979 Posts
And once Halloween is over, I'm ready for the break of November because then it's time to get into full-on Christmas mode. Then once Christmas is done & put away, which is usually the first weekend after New Year's Day, I don't wanna hear about decorating anything until about March.

I am DUNZO after that. I don't shop much, I don't think about any holiday except my birthday in March, I'm just over it all. By the end of March & especially when the weather breaks, I slowly start to get the fever again.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah, I already find myself looking towards decorating for the other holiday. I procrastinated on a fair bit of stuff, and now it just feels like scrambling would be wasted effort for one night. I'm still working on stuff, I made a new prop last night and braved the ladder to put it up, but the fact that I'm just going to take it all down in 5 days is looming large in the back of my mind.

Doesn't help that we're calling for the remnants of patricia tonight, so if I want to keep some of my outdoor props, I'm going to have to take them down for a day or two.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts