Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago I build a giant throne of evil for my wife to sit in, look menacing (well, her and all the big spiders we've arranged) and hand out candy. Last year we decided the giant throne of evil wasn't quite evil enough and so I took the band saw to a pair of bucky skulls and made them into finials for the arm rests. (There is still lots of evil operating space here, so this year there will be little fountains of something drooling out of their mouths into catch basins below - but that comes later.

My problem is, before I got everything down and put away, a gust of wind knocked the throne over (because a throne of evil has to have a giant wind catching back on it, duh!) and smashed my poor bucky skulls.

These things never need to move once I'm done, so I'm looking for a do it once and do it right kind of solution here. What is the best glue to use to permanently fuse all the little bits of my once proud bucky skulls?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've never had good luck finding a permanent glue for bucky's but here's my short list of go-to glues:

1. carpet adhesive. sticks to everything, weatherproof, retains some elasticity and you can apply lots to fill gaps.
2. industrial glue sticks. Very fast cure time, weatherproof, strong but not permanent. you can over apply for a stronger bond.
3. 3M super 90 spray adhesive. very strong but is expensive and does not fill gaps well. Works great for flat non-porous surfaces
4. 3M VHB tapes. permanent and weatherproof tape for flat surfaces. metals, poly's and acrylics but expensive and hard to find.

whatever you go with you may have better luck if you rough up the surface of the skull prior to gluing and using wood screws where you can. If it's like a shattered vase with many many small pieces I'd bet on the 3M super 90.

GL, and let us know what you end up using

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I build a lot of r/c plastic tanks models as well and we also use Evergreen plastic, which is a white plastic in sheets and almost a pvc like material. To glue the Evergreen together or the other brand called plastruct. We use this glue:
http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/GlueContents.html

Hobby stores that sell this plastics sheets for crafts sells this plastruct glue.

This is a very fine liquid glue that melts the parts together. But the parts need to be together when you apply this as it runs along the seems and melts fuses it to each other. Or you can use even pvc glue from your local hardware store. Now depending on if you want to fuse them together or just glue them together. If you just want to glue them then you can either use a 2 part epoxy which it comes in fast setup ) like 1 to 2 minutes ) or slower setup ( 5 munitesd or more ). Or you can go to your local automotive store as they sell something called GOOP ? Which is a general adhesive that is both water and temprature resilient as it is made for difffrent car parts to hold up. Or they have several good brands to choose from.

Good luck !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts