Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
That price, something's gotta be wrong with it, structurally?
Used the Google streetview and went around the house - the roof is in sad shape around the side (separating from the structure in some places, it seems), and the whole place needs more than a little TLC.

I'm guessing another another one or two hundred thousand to get that 5000 square foot dreamhouse back in livable shape.
Still worth it, if you're willing to live in upstate New York.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
28 years later, I am STILL working on my bargain Haunted House,but I do and have done most of the work here.
How many trips have I made in 28 years just going up and down the steps? 76 steps from the wine cellar to the cupola?
All the time and effort is worth it to me since I'm open every night and have that "October Fun" many times almost every week! (Winter is S LO W.
(I come from a Family of Tradesmen with tools and experience already "there".)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Jeez, that house here in denver would be a million plus, messed up or not, wow!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
It's a foreclosure. Last sold for more than double that. Which is about average for NY when you take into account how much we have to pay out for our outrageous taxes. I'm thinking it's a small rural town that's seen it's better days economically.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well damn. Thats a lot cheaper than what I bought my house for. But really, I have this fantasy that I would LOVE to buy an older home and do all this work on it. Its a pretty outlandish fantasy. Considering...i know nothing about pipes and the structure and electric.

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:eek: What a gorgeous old home....I'd love to see Chip and Joanna Gaines get a hold of it and fix it up. Though I can't say I'd want to live in New York. I've read that taxes are ridiculous up there. :confused: BTW, I don't think ghosts leave handprints...not unless they are crafty ghosts and it's paper mache residue, or baker ghosts and it's flour. ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Whoa, wait, that's my hometown! THAT house is supposed to be haunted? I grew up in Camden and moved back last year, my dad has lived in Camden his whole life. Never once I have I heard it was supposed to be haunted.

The house is gorgeous, took a tour once and it has a lot of beautiful carvings and stained glass, but it's been abandoned and decaying for a long time and looks like it needs a ton of structural work. It looks like it's about to fall down on the outside, peeling parl, the roof is leaky, sagging, it's not worth the money since it will require a ton of fixing up.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I had had my house a few years, working on it all the time. I noticed a young man walking passed my house, he noticed me noticing him and pretended like he was not looking at my house?(But he was causally walking toward the cliff) I walked over and began a conversation with him, He said he owned and old , neat house that he had fixed up for a haunted house/bed and breakfast.
I told him I was going to try that too. Then I asked him if he had built any Secret Passages or hidden doors?
He said earlier that he was all done working on it, but I just gave him a good idea and he would have to go back and do that! (Which made me doubt pretty much everything he had told me since "Work" is... work, and re-doing or ripping apart new work, is pretty stupid, expensive, time consuming, but you never "know?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts