Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Each year the building I work at has a Halloween decorating competition and opens the doors for TOT's in the afternoon. 2 years ago we did an "Alien Autopsy", complete with an alien corpse that had the chest cut open so it could hold a crock pot full of "Little smokies: in barbacue sauce and a number of jello "brains" that we served...- got 2nd place overall. Last year we did "A witch's kitchen" - animated witch, smoking cauldron, animated rats - and got 2nd in the Kid's Favorite category.

So - we started planning early, and we are getting started with ideas for this years entry - La Isla de las Muñecas (Island of Dolls). Some of you may have heard of it.

Our concept - We have about a 40 ft hallway between all of our cubicles. Will line that artificial foliage ( trees, vines, camouflague net, burlap, etc) with as many old dolls in it as we can. Fog the area with a fog machine with chiller to keep it low. When we have a group come in to entry way, we will have a guide stop them, tell them the story, then take them along the path to the small white cross at the end - which marks the grave of where old islands keeper - Santana - is buried. Thinking that when they get there, the cross starts moving and a voice tell them to "Leave, before it's too late!" Thinking most lights off, creepy jungle sounds, some of the dolls are rigged to move, some LED eyes, and maybe one or 2 people as life size "dolls" trying to get through the "trees" to get to the tourists.

Looking for other ideas. We're shooting to take the "Scariest" trophy this year. Think we have a good start, but want to take it to the next level - Oh - and of course it needs to be on the cheap. Any money comes out of our own pockets of course.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
That is the theme that scareme is using this year. Some of us have been collecting dolls to contribute to her theme. I have a huge box of them just got to get things worked out so we can meet. We live abou 3 hours apart. I will message her to make sure she sees this post and can contribute ideas. She spends a lot of time on the Haunt Forum too with the same screen name.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I love everything you are doing MT. I'm going in the same direction, but outside. The only thing I might be able to add is I plan to have a back recording of waves hitting the shore, Alternating a little girl laughing, crying and whispering. I don't suppose your company would let you throw a little sand down in the hall? Just a truck load? Just kidding. I've been collecting dolls for about two years, and aging them. And the some of the great haunters on here have been helping me out by painting dolls for me. I'm excited to hear someone else working with this theme. Most people I talk to have never even heard of it. But You and I will change that, won't we?

After one of my many trips to thrift stores over the last two years.

At first I experimented with putting the dolls out in the elements in some old bird cages I had. They just weren't aging fast enough.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Finally I just started throwing them on the ground.

I do have to wonder what the meter reader is thinking after two years. lol

This is getting me more of my desired effect. I keep telling people I was to go old and creepy, Not gory and bloody.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the idea of children whispering, but I think having a recording of different dolls crying or saying "Mamma" would creep me out (Could just be different ladies and girls you know using there "Baby" voices). A shrine near the white cross with notes and pictures drawn by kids ( or at least look like they were drawn by kids) mixed in with with candles (battery operated) and a few old silk flowers strewn in for good measure. (tea or coffee die them for an aged effect) If you intend to hang the dolls, make sure you hang them from different body parts. Black and white photos of little girls with dolls from another century (Victorian style photos could be used and you can copy them from the internet in black and white, sepia, and gray scale on regular paper. Good Luck! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
OH! I wasn't specific...my bad! I meant use tea or coffee to age the silk flowers. Once you rinse them you should not have any problems with mold. As far as aging the faces of the dolls...that would depend on what each doll face was composed of.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are some great ideas. Especially the scents and the sounds of the ocean...along with the interspesed sounds of little girls or dolls. Great idea!

As for aging the dolls - I've had good luck with a bag of charcoal - the heavy paper kind- with just few briquets in it. Use a baseball bat to crush them up and get as much powder as I can. Then dump in a couple dolls - shake well - use a paint brush to brush of the excess. Seems to work pretty well. Fullers earth would probably work well to - just haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally I just started throwing them on the ground.

I do have to wonder what the meter reader is thinking after two years. lol

This is getting me more of my desired effect. I keep telling people I was to go old and creepy, Not gory and bloody.

*LOL* I'm surprised the meter reader even comes in the yard!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts