Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all!

This year I'm stuck in work unfortunately - normally I have every Halloween off, but my Husband can't book it this year due to personnel issues :(
So - work is stuck with me and my building craziness for Halloween! Halloween in the UK isn't as awesomely celebrated like in the US :( but we're getting there...

This year I thought I'd bring the darkness to work. But I worry my sense of humour and scar might be too much for some people. Does anyone have any good tips for dressing up the office? :)
I'm hoping people will come in costume for charity - but that will remain to be seen :)

Becky x

·
Registered
246 Posts
Perhaps have a costume contest with the winner’s prize going to the charity of their choice. Everyone that dresses up pays a certain amount to enter, and then everyone gets a vote for their favorite costume.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Becky,

I also live in the UK, Our office did a dress up a few years ago and it was really fun. It wasn't even for charity and people were still willing to participate. Il have to try and dig the photo out. Unfortunately its me that normally initiates these sorts of things so we haven't done it the past couple of years due to me needing the day off to get the house prepared for halloween.

Jamie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Becky,

I also live in the UK, Our office did a dress up a few years ago and it was really fun. It wasn't even for charity and people were still willing to participate. Il have to try and dig the photo out. Unfortunately its me that normally initiates these sorts of things so we haven't done it the past couple of years due to me needing the day off to get the house prepared for halloween.

Jamie
It's usually me who initiates these things too lol. :) Hope people will like it this year... I'll have to put the feelers out next week I think :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
I do very light office decor. Some little pumpkins for the desks in my office, just a few twirly guys from Oriental trading co for the ceiling and a couple of banners, but now I also usually bring in matching treats (I tried to buy tattoos for my ToTs and I had them shipped to the office, and apparently adults all LOVE temporary tattoos lol).
There's also one person upstairs who decorated by coating her windows in webbing and had ghostly faces behind them which looked great!

Seeing Saki.Girl's makes me really want to up my game though!

In terms of costume my first few years I won the HR sponsored costume contest, but now I tend to work from home so everyone makes me send photos. I try to go for something spooky, but with less gore than I might go for in my regular life. One year I was lydia in the red wedding dress from Beetlejuice and I think another I was little dead Riding Hood but I toned down the blood.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Making it for charity is really nice. One would hope that would encourage more people to dress up!
More good motivation is maybe putting out a bowl of candy. That'll help remind people what time of year it is as well as help people see whatever it is you decide to put up! (Every year, my bowl of candy is the most popular worker in the building, haha)

·
Registered
220 Posts
snowwhite witch i got her 4 years ago from grindenroad if i remember right
you might find her on ebay
I will keep an eye out for her, thank you! :D

Your desk was truly inspirational, I put a few things out but I'm worried things will go missing. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Decorate your cubicle. Hang spider webs from the ceiling.
Then for Halloween, We have a pot luck lunch where everyone brings in a dish - preferably Halloween themed (Pinterest has great Halloween recipes). Most everyone decorates their cubicle and we hang spider webs from the ceiling.
Then, we'd dress in costume for Halloween day (nothing like driving on the interstate in VooDoo makeup) and have a Halloween "pot luck" lunch where everyone brings in a Halloween themed dish.
Our boss would give a $50.00 gift card to the one voted best costume. Even the one's who didn't dress up loved the atmosphere.
It's truly my favorite time of year!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Love this---great photos Saki Girl! I want to work in your cubicle! Becky--good work initiated Halloween fun at your office! I know it can be hard to get people to participate. My office has a Halloween party for everyones kids to come in and trick or treat around to peoples desks and a costume contest but there is not much participation. I used to decorate my cube big time (tried to find some photos but I think they are trapped on my old defunct computer :( ) I One year I webbed in my whole cubicle in with a big curved web tunnel entrance to get in. Another year I brought in a bunch of decor and potion bottles and made a witches cubicle. My office is apparently full of Halloween bah-humbugs. While I am accustomed to people not being as into Halloween as I am people unfortunately gave me a really hard time about it and how "silly" it was that I liked Halloween that much. I defiantly did it anyway but it started to make me feel bad and ruin the holiday for me a little so I stopped doing it and concentrated on my home decor. Now nobody has an assigned desk anymore as our office has started the modern workplace 360 where you come in and sit at an available desk every day so you can't have anything personal at your desk. Happy to see people bringing Halloween fun to the office!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
At my old office, I decorated the office every year for Halloween -- decorations up for the entire month of October. At first, it was just my desk area, then, when my desk was moved into a corner of the conference room, I was allowed to decorate the entire conference room. Here are a few tips:

First, I don't know about your office, but gore & blood usually don't go over well in the workplace, so I had to be creative with decorating.

Saki Witch.jpg

I borrowed Saki Girl's fab photo If your office has the acoustic ceiling tiles, the good news is the cross beams that hold in the tiles are MAGNETIC! (see the red circle in the photo?) Woohoo! That means that, if you purchase heavy duty hook magnets on Amazon or eBay, you can hang stuff from the ceiling! Yes!

For the walls, 3M hooks are a life-saver for hanging decorations on the walls. Read & follow the instructions for mounting and removing the hooks and you will be able to really have some decorating fun.

If you office has a color printer or copier, it is your friend. I was able to save money on decorations by printing some of my own. I even used a color printer for curtain tie backs!

If you office has those old-fashioned tracking light systems, you can purchase plug-in outlets that use the electricity from the track and create a plug -- you will then have a plug in the ceiling for lights, a twirling decoration, etc.

I did so many different Halloween themes in the office: Mardi Gras Voodoo, Haunted Mansion, Vintage Halloween, Mickey Mouse Halloween, Gothic Black, Parisienne Halloween -- it was so much fun. I will try to include a few photos so that you can see the before and after.

Feel free to check out my Pinterest boards; that is where I warehouse all my ideas!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts