Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
Well spring has finally sprung and the newest prop for the Boneyard has begun. We usually start building during the winter months in the basement. But this prop is just way to large to even attempt it in sections. So it has to be built outside. Every season we try and do one major prop and maybe a few small ones. Last season it was the hearse. This season it will be the haunted shack. Parts from the hearse and a couple of other retired props make up much of the lumber. A big $ saver. This will be a 3 stage prop and will work like so. As our victims approach a series of staggered floor boards will start to bounce up and down along with fog and green light from below. Our skelly sitting in his rocking chair (chair will always be rocking via a wiper motor) comes to life next to tell the tale of the haunted shack and the graveyard beyond. His story has yet to be determined. When he is done with his tale a slight pause then our pop up will emerge from the window. To add more flare to the window. We are going to make a burning effect as though the inside of the shack is on fire. The pop up will come up from in front of the fire. Their will also be a few other effects going on. Such as flickering porch lights, A small head emerging from the partially open door and a couple more.

We framed out the shack today. It measures 13' long by 9' high. by 6' deep. The rear 2' will not be seen. This will be used for prop controls and such. It will be put on wheels so we can move it to the front when the time comes. We also added a roof made of a section of old pool cover. Very strong and will shed the water. I added a couple of pictures for you all to see so you can get the jist of it. We hope you enjoy and will keep updating as we progress. Next we move on to the floor boards and mech to make it work.

·
Registered
591 Posts
So is this just a "theater" or part of a walk though?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think you need to be careful making people think the shack is on fire. Some people may not react well to something like that and really panic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
For my furnace room I am working on - I bought one of the fire fox lights:

American DJ Homepage

Is that what your planning on using for the flames or are you making your own fan blown silk flames?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all. We got some more time to work on the haunted shack prop. We cut all the floor boards for the rattle effect. and set them in place. 5 out of the bunch will go up and down at different times. We set up 2 of the boards and our wiper motor and gave it a test run. You can see the setup and basic construction in the short vid below.
To answer a few ?s that where asked.
1 No how to as of now. I am just kinda winging this hole thing as we go along. I know the way i want it to work, but as far as the construction, It's learn as we go.
2 This will be our main attraction in this years walk through.
3 silk flames will be used for the fire effect.
I will keep posting as it comes along................

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey all. Well the weather has come back around and we where able to get back to work on the haunted shack. Finished setting the rattling floor boards and now moving on to the rocking chair and door effects. A short video of the floor boards for you all.

·
Registered
622 Posts
bonemanB, That's awsome! I love it and it's a really simple yet effective design!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Excellent work bonemanB!!!

I bet you could even get the rippling floor motion. Just by adding a tee to each board and adjusting a little askew one from each other.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Very nice work! Boneman, I was a little worried there at first kids would walk across it but then read that wasn't the case just as a prop and I think the whole thing will be a great success. So far so good!

·
Registered
125 Posts
awesome

just love this! can't wait to see the finished product!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts