Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had an unusual relation with our across the street neighbors.

They've made remarks each year, and we're fairly certain they're the ones that called the cops a time or two. An older couple. Nice, and quiet, and often the target of TP parties by the local juveniles. My wife and I have chased off these hooligans in the past, and even helped them clean up.

Among the remarks in the past have been to let me know they really like the christmas light a lot more than the Halloween stuff. Last year, they scheduled a trip to their children's the week of Halloween, and let me know they were glad I had everything down by the time they got home. Even suggested they might make that a yearly occurance, and ask me to watch their yard, and even decorate it so long as they weren't around to see.

This Sunday, however, a lot of history came out, and things had turned.

Saturday, the boys and I tore down Project Nightfall, to move it to the back yard for Halloween. Sunday morning, our neighbors asked if someone had stolen it. I explained we just took it down to move it in the back. They commented how glad they were to not be looking at the graveyard anymore. I said that more stuff would be going up this week...and then they got snippy.

Aparantly, my house is on what used to be their property. And, when they originally sold it, they made it into some kind of private community. And, said they wanted to bring over the bylaws I was supposed to sign before buying the house. To which I replied we didn't sign a thing, and are not bound by any riders they think should have been on our land.

Which got them all snippy saying something about it being THEIR land. And, I got a story about someone dying on the property (trying to scare me?). I just smiled and said I'ld have to work that into the whole story.

Well, I've been pretty darn nice over the years. My stuff is typically only up 2 weeks at most. And, we try to keep it quiet.

What they don't quite realize is my brother owns a music store, and I'm bringing in concert grade sound equipment we can pretty much angle straight into thier house.

I hope they enjoy my music selection on Friday...

·
HELLoween Ubber Lord
2,681 Posts
Bugs Bunny's famous words !! Maybe your graveyard is reminding them that it's almost they're time..............
They sold & nothing else signed,so tuff pumpkins to them ! & if someone did die & you were not made aware of it before the sale,
they can be sued. At least you can here in Calif for non disclosure !

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Maybe they are jealous and you should send the TOTs their house before your party and ask them to come as they are. Mean old folks LOL

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Once again, I do not understand people's disdain for Halloween.

It seems that these feelings are growing or possibly that people are feeling more OK with letting us know.

I would have said the f-word a few times to them, so you're much nicer than me.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,846 Posts
:mad: *expletive deleted* them.

It is your property, they have NO say about what you do with your decorating no matter if the old farts once owned the land... they SOLD IT and have no claim or control unless you were doing something against the law.

Like one of the other posters said, they probably don't like being reminded of "the graveyard" since they apparently already have at least one foot in one.:rolleyes:

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Wow, a land ownership dispute, that's a new twist. I agree, be civil, but perhaps a strobe or flashing light (a la yellow construction light) in the front wouldn't be toooo obnoxious!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I really think this is the year you need a to put out a year-long Halloween count-down sign.

Nothing too garish...
Here's a pic of mine - the "Days Until Halloween" sign it's holding is actually temporary, until my neighbor sells his house....otherwise, it's holding a lantern.
(it's just an 8' pole, with a Bucky skull, arm, and some various vertebrae and ribs - just some of the stuff in a Bag O' Bones I once ordered from ACC - I looovvee those resin bones)

I've had it out since...oh, April or May, I believe...I change up the roman numerals on the small sign at the top (foam numbers, with magnets in the back). Most of the year, that's the only indication that it's a countdown to Halloween.

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Oy. 3 words come to mind: crotchety old farts!!!!!

I'd think twice about chasing hooligans with TP off their property in the future and I [email protected] sure wouldn't be helping them clean up after a TP party! Seems like you've tried to be a good neighbor and they just don't appreciate it... I doubt that they know what a truly bad neighbor really is!

Sounds like some issues have been simmering under the surface and they just decided to dredge them out. If they have a problem with how the subsequent sale of their land was handled, it shouldn't be with you, UnOrthodox. It should be with the title company/realtor/developer that carried out the original transaction. If they bring it up again, that's who they should be talking to.

Their behavior is so wacky as to almost suggest dementia. Is it primarily the wife or husband that has been spouting the oddities? Srsly, I'd never joke about Alzheimer's (as my grandma had it for 18 yrs), but maybe one or both of them should see a doc....

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
There are all kinds of folks with all kinds of opinions about Halloween and you just have to learn to disregard them just as much as you do the ones that don't agree with your politics or religion or the way you raise YOUR kids ... etc, etc.

I wish everyone in my neighborhood loved Halloween as much as I do but they just don't.

On the flip side, I don't care much for Christmas but come December 1st, I'll be surrounded by those stupid carol-singing, jingle belling, fake snow-blowing, glove waving, belly laughing, pathetically animated, hideously colored INFLATABLES!!!! And I'll just smile and wave at my neighbors as they hang their 18th set of twinkling lights on their already sagging Crepe Myrtle, all the while secretly wishing that someone would come along with a blow torch and REALLY make old Rudolph's nose light up.

Of course, that's just me. LOL!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yay Southern Belle! Haha, I had the Crepe Myrtle neighbor for several years too! I share your sentiment. We have HalloweenII at our house instead of Christmas. :D Can you tell how much we like Halloween?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Or it could be that they are just getting elderly and can't handle all the kid activity surrounding Halloween. I have noticed my parents elderly parents are not able to handle the noice and excitement of Halloween like they used to.

Just continue to chase off the juvenile delinquents and show that haunters are good people that just like to have a different sort of fun.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I really think this is the year you need a to put out a year-long Halloween count-down sign.
I've actually been LOOKING for a digital countdown so I could make one. (changing the sign in 4 foot of snow mid January becomes tedious)

Anyhow, they just finished marking my gas line, so I think it's time to go set up Fred. He wasn't going to go up til Thursday, but I think a few nights of having him out front with that new par56 spot my brother got me lighting him up all bright like are in order.

·
Good Ghoul Gone Bad
747 Posts
And I thought we Floridians were the ones who always had to put up with the blue hairs. You've been neighborly long enough. If they were concerned about what would happen in the future to "their land", they shouldn't have sold it. Tough cookies. You've been a lot nice than I would have been; It's not just my occasional potty mouth when REALLY perturbed, but I have just the *slightest* vindictive bone in my body. I won't even mention here what I would do, but if you ever need ideas, just let me know.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts