Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me about Oak Islands "Curtain Chaos"? It's listed in their new catalog, but doesn't have many details. Looks like some sort of a maze, but I don't understand how the curtains would be sturdy at all.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it looks like the curtains are cut at the stripes so you can't tell which one's open and which ones don't? Are the ones that don't open made out of fabric also? I'm looking into making something like this for this year's haunt, but don't like the circus theme. I was trying to think of a way to modify it to work with a haunted mansion theme.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
You are correct, the ones that don't open are made of fabric also. There are still cut curtains but behind them is a solid wall. So you learn quickly that you push on the curtains to see if it's hallow and you can pass through. You get turned around very fast. Yes, they are cut at the stripes, by the way.

For your haunted mansion theme, I would think you could do velvet burgundy and purple curtains. By the way they had music speakers in some of the rooms to add to the ambiance. Also, in one of the rooms they had a motion sensor that set off a siren. You can can hear it going off on the video. It was a good, cheap scare.

Many of the rooms were dead ends so they would be a great place for a scare actor. I had a lot of fun going through that maze :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've saw the Curtain Chaos at Hauntcon.The strips are made of a vinyl banner material which you can get at a local sign shop.(my dad runs a small sign shop and he new exactly what it was).They just got large sheets of red and white vinyl banner material and cut it into strips.For the dead ends and walls they just used plywood walls or some other kind of wood for the frame of the maze.Hope this helped you, if you don't find vinyl banner material,any old fabric or even that cheap,black ,landscaping fabric would work fine.You're better of getting the vinyl material though because it repels water and it is very sturdy and won't rip very easily.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow... the velvet curtains would look SOOO cool for our haunt! Do you think you could build a grid out of 1 inch PVC to hang them from?

I'll have to look in to that banner material... is it very expensive?

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Oh yeah, in fact that's exactly how I built the walls in my garage haunt. I made a hem in the top of the curtain and pushed the PVC through. Then I use zip ties to secure it to the hooks in the ceiling. You've got a challenge though on how to make solid walls (1"thick foam panels?).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've already got about 250 plywood walls, so that shouldn't be a problem. This will be our first year as a commercial haunt, so we're trying to keep anything we add to a minimum budget, but I'm sure we could use some of our already built walls or buy some OSB.
I can't wait to run this idea past everyone involved!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts