Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got up early yesterday, and bought some things for next year’s haunt, then I concentrated on breaking down and putting away my Halloween decorations. Took the rest of the morning into late afternoon. I’d estimate that between building my zombie prop, setting up, repairs, and taking down the setup, I have about 40 hours in this year. I do it all myself, so it takes a little longer. How long did yours take?

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Hmmm. Does shopping time count? :unsure:

With the foul weather, I really scaled back to lighting, window gags and stuff staged close to the house. I put up an EZ-up canopy - which is NOT EZ when you are a single haunter! Staked it down good since we had 50+ wind gusts.

All totaled, including treat bag making and taking it all down: about 36 hours.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I learned this from racing cars, if it’s a hobby don’t ever, EVER track hours spent. You’ll just hate yourself eventually and wonder why you do it. It’ll become a job then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Totally agree. When people ask me about the hours spent, I tell them a year to plan, a month to build, a day to enjoy, a lifetime of memories.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s not something to dwell on surely, and we all do it for the joy of doing it and celebrating Halloween. I was just curious because some of the pictured haunts are amazing, with diy props and animatronics. Don’t take the time spent it as a negative, it’s a badge of honor keeping this holiday tradition alive, and inspiring future generations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Untold hours building & preparing - started in August, and have had the last month off between jobs, so worked on it every day. Two weeks ago, I got inspired to try building a couple small-scale animatronics and ended up spending easily 12 hour days building and all day setting up on Halloween (and still didn't get all my intended audio & video set up).

I just spent a good 10 hours today pulling it all back down and will need at least another day or two reorganizing my available storage to fit all of the decorations in it and cleaning up my house which has essentially been my work shop for the last 4 months.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Take down = 10 hours give or take
Turning the garage into a museum= 12 hours give or take
Creating stories for haunted objects= 7 hours give or take
Setting up front lawn display= 25 hours give or take.
building/refurbishing props this year.......= 150-250 hours.

Total= 204-304 hours give or take.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just enjoy walking around and seeing what people built.

Even if someone just bought a couple blow up decorations and strung fake web everywhere, at least it’s something. They’re getting in the holiday spirit, regardless of the amount of time.

The way I think of it, is it may take one person 4 hours to whip out a corpsed skeleton vs a total newbie that may take a couple days. Everyone has different skill levels.

But what can also be deceiving is learning how to make things appear nicer/more detailed than they really are.. I learned a lot from stage craft, model railroading and working in dance clubs: respecting sight lines, and how lighting can add depth and character to surfaces. Also, tricks with paint that can make things appear to be there that are not (rivets, brick mortor..etc.). So there are shortcuts that I imagine many people have learned to put together these amazing scenes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts