Halloween Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now remember, Novemberween is about focusing upon, promoting, expressing, and exemplifying the positive. That includes the giving of thanks for all the goodness. And Thanksgiving is one of the symbolic days for that! I urge you not only to give thanks but to go out there and do positive and friendly THINGS, to improve the common welfare. My gosh, what the dickens am I talking about?

HALLOWEEN continues to be expressed in Novemberween.

When I was a kid the local TV station would run King Kong several times a day. I remember seeing that happen for a few years, and I remember my family's special recipe of blueberry pie, which went incredibly well with the King Kong and the other Thanksgiving dishes. It was a spooky fun time!

A few years after, the station switched to showing a whole day of Twilight Zone episodes, and there, I think, they found the magic formula: Twilight Zones and Thanksgiving! I can't tell you why it works. It works beautifully, however. Spooky fun!

This year perhaps I might include extremely weird movies that have a Twilight Zone-ish feel to them.

A while back, a vegetarian friend showed me how to make a meatless turkey-like loaf made out of chopped chestnuts and other stuff. There are endless variations of the type of food one can prepare.

Please suggest your ideas for this Thanksgiving because I would love to hear them!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I moved it to this coming Sunday this year. My kids get pulled in lots of different directions by ex or inlaws on holidays and I like to let them off the hook from that pressure because I remember having to deal with it when I was first married. Plus I have to go out of town later in the week and this way I will be able to eat all the leftovers before I go.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scatter, I applaud your clever plan for enjoying the holiday season. Kaku, that is some crazy article with photos! I did not know, did not have any idea, that Thanksgiving was ever festive in that way. It seems odd that such a huge celebration could have vanished so (and perhaps many would wish that certain cherished Halloween traditions would go the same way......hmm). This seems both a warning to Halloween enthusiasts, and an inspiration to bring the wild and spooky back to Thanksgiving!

Here is that link again. Read this article, you guys, it's wacky!

http://www.npr.org/sections/theprotojournalist/2014/11/19/365195079/when-thanksgiving-was-weird

Novemberween continues in a spirit of fine fun.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I feel like The Wizard of Oz used to play on Thanksgiving, but am I remembering that correctly?

I LOVE Thanksgiving. My son is gluten-free and we're not eating at our house (we're going to the in-laws') so I'll be bringing some GF treats for him. I mean obviously the turkey, green beans and so on are GF but I'm also bringing a pumpkin pie, an apple pie with apple "leaves" (pastry cutouts) on top, cornbread, and leaf-shaped cookies with autumn color sprinkles. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Last year we went to Golden Corral for Thanksgiving and the place was crowded and people waiting in line to get in. This Thanksgiving we will be at home with a home cook meal. But every November I watch the movie Avalon.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Thanks to your Novemberween I've gorged myself on classic horror: Fall of the House of Usher, Curse of Frankenstein, Horror of Dracula, Abominable Dr Phibes, House on Haunted Hill and Masque of the Red Death. But Twilight Zone for Thanksgiving sounds delightful. On Saturday we're having a Friendsgiving night with friends. We're all going to watch the new Krampus movie which is On Demand. Perfect film to start the Christmas season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqiRZGyU718

·
Super Moderator
5,881 Posts
If anyone wants to experience what a zombie apocalypse would be like, just visit one of the "Friday" sales.

This was our tradition for many a year, and I've had lots of stories come out of that horde. Pushing, shoving, someone making the unfortunate error in attempting to hurdle a barricade into my pregnant wife, being repelled in mid air and deposited on the far side of said barricade, then taking a swing at me...

You know, "fun".

It actually was fun. We've always tried to be polite and managed to get everything we needed, and usually made friends with those in line around us, often looking out for each other, since you can't all be everywhere at once, but we'd send one person for 10 of item x, and another for 5 of y, and all meet up to make sure we all got what we needed. Far more nice random strangers than jerks taking swings.

However, we won't be done with dinner by the time that stuff starts these days, so we're heading out to see the new Hunger Games after dinner while the zombie horde fights over items at the Walmart. We'll go to some mom and pop stores on actual Friday morning.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts