Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I made the biggest improvement today when I parked my funeral carriage beside the house, instead of in the garage. Every year it seemed that everything was on hold until I got the carriage down the driveway and that takes a few people, so now I can get the garage facade up earlier in the month. Next on the list is to add a few more songs to the lightorama and lightorama specific props. I basically had the same display (although better locations of some of the props) this year and the same three songs as last year.

Unlike IowaGuy, I don't need to improve my procrastinating, I already have my 10th degree Black Belt in it, instead, I am hoping to improve my focus and self-discipline and procratinate less, and get my haunt up before the weekend prior to Halloween so I can go check out some of my fellow haunters haunts...this year was an insane race to the finish line. I sat down Halloween morning and made a list of ten things I need to do that day...I got two of them done..ok, I did one and a friend that stopped by at the last minute did the other. Granted, nobody has a clue what the other 8 were but me. That in itself is a bad mindset to have because it gives you an easy out on not finishing things....hell, I might even make a list this year and put it up where the kids and friends can see it, just to hold mysedlf a tad bit more accountable

·
Registered
244 Posts
1)Although I love the sound I get from my "kicker" system I wanna surround my cemetery next year with a couple speakers for more surround sound.
2)Learn to make my own tombstones...finally.
3)Improve on prop making in general using pvc pipe to make bodies for the assorted masks I have but end up just sticking on a stick for the "severed head" appeal
4) incorperate the strobe lights I have that I never end up using somehow. I always go for a cemetery feel and felt like a strobe light really doesn't add anything to the atmosphere I want. Maybe I will use it for the entrance area

·
Registered
163 Posts
1. Lighting. I need to spend more time on it and not just throw a spot on every prop.
2. Layout
3. Corpsing. Off the shelf is never good enough for my skellys.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well, I had a friend who talked a good game convince me to let him build the maze in my driveway leading up to my garage haunt. yeah, total disaster, i believe the term is ghetto fabulous... yeah, no! Wind was brutal and while it looked like total garbage, it did the trick for the Halloween party (everyone being drunk at that point helped tremendously) however, just after the party the high winds from Sandy came through and ripped the two main support posts (concreted into the ground mind you) completely out of the ground and the maze fell in upon it's self. So next year, build a real maze sans the ghetto fabulous part, make it sturdy, attractive looking, and spooky.

I'm still having trouble getting my AxWorthy to work exactly right, I think guide pulley's might help, and they will be tested and implemented next year. The sander on the bottom of my electric chair stopped working with about 15 min to go in ToT, so that needs addressed. I'm going to have to fix/slightly re-engineer "Rocky" my motor driven skelly in the rocking chair. Some dumb girl at my Halloween party sat in his chair and broke his wrist and spine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Even though I had to cancel completely this year because of the horrible weather forecast and did not put anything out, I still found myself (once again) working furiously on one of those large, last minute projects right up until we cancelled. Lesson learned - do not start something you can't comfortably finish. It ALWAYS takes longer than you estimate it will.

Oh yeah, Terra, I like the wine idea.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, my wife and I had our party this past weekend (Nov. 3rd) and it was a success, but still ran out of time as guests were arriving. I only had half my costume on with a half hour left, which usually wouldn't be a big deal, but this year I was on digitigrade stilts and fur pants!!! So next year, things need to be put up earlier and costumes need to be simplified a bit. Next year will be our first outdoor, walk through mini haunt, so we have A LOT to do before then. I think I will be building props all winter; tombstones, scarecrows and grave related props. Also, I have to figure out what to do about lighting and sound for next year as well, since I don't have nearly enough.

One more thing - a Chauvet Hurricane 1300 is WAY too much fog for an indoor haunt! I got it set right after a couple tries, but we had to open the doors before people showed up to air out a bit. A burst of just a couple seconds every 10 minutes was more than enough to keep a haze at the party all night, but next year we'll keep this outside in the grave yard!

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
1,992 Posts
Find a way to keep my wine supply flowing while working the haunt on Halloween night...
210122_lg.jpg

You need one of these! A Wine Rack!

LOL!

I want LED spotlights! And I WILL have a fence up next year. I was going to make one this year, but then thought....well, only one kid tried to run thru the cemetery & the web of extension cords last year, it'll be OK. No. This year I yelled at 4 kids to stop & go back out to the road. I already have orange rope lights to go along the future fence so the darn buggers will see it!

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Well, I bought way too much candy for only about 45 toter's. Also, we had GID bracelets, but they lost their glow really fast, so had to keep putting together more of them. Then, some of the kids just threw them in their candy bags...I started telling them to put them on their wrists, and my husband was laughing at me for being so bossy with the kids, lol. So, I won't be doing glow bracelets next year.

The display was well-received by everyone. Their favorite was the moving/talking gemmy witch at the front door.

·
Warlock
1,369 Posts
I need to repair a bunch of stuff that is looking ragged in a non-spooky way. It's just wear and tear stuff, but it needs to be done. Figure out my lighting. I started with too much light, went to too dark and this year was lighter than last year but still too dark. Get the lights in the back cemetery put up sooner so I have time to tweak them. Fix the stirring witch!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
my 8 yr old outside life size static props all need redoing....from the brittle latex masks to the pvc that keeps falling apart. I am so tired of repositioning the (yes, they are still up for one more party this weekend) swinging foam wig heads from the wind.

·
Registered
143 Posts
1. Better prop sounds instead of just "whatever you can find"
2. Start right after Halloween, time is of the essence
3. Better lighting and make it uplighting
4. Start sooner
5. Start yesterday

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Lisa48317 - That's gotta be one of the best female costumes I've ever seen. Id put it up there with one of my ex-gf's "boxer" costume from 5 years ago. Ah, another reason that hopefully sometime in my next 10 years I will relocate myself to a warm climate during the month of October. This year it was about 55' so not too bad, chilly to a former Kansan though.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Need to find something better to play the sound effects CD. More lighting in graveyard and get started designing/building earlier. I have a bench on my porch and am considering putting some zombies behind the bench so the kids could sit on the bench with the zombies behind them and parents could get pictures better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Longer path thru the yard which means more fence and columns plus some more posts for lights to hang from! Fog chiller, gotta finish that fog chiller! Gonna decorate the foyer in my home, I think kids get a little disappointed when they have to walk thru the graveyard only to see a normal house on the inside; This will entail a grandfather clock, a tray with beakers/test tubes and a frame that I'll hang a scene setter from...as well as whatever else I can fit in!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts