Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Some of the props I've seen here are just amazing, and I am still making my list of stuff to do for next Halloween, but I have a project to do before then that is not quite Halloween related. I have this Disney Mickey Mouse faux "topiary" that was lit with xmas lights. Well, the lights went out a few years ago and the cheap plastic "leaves" were falling off due to it's age. So I stripped it back to its base mesh self and I want to cover it with "something".

My problem is that I don't know what to cover it with. My brother suggested plaster of Paris, but I think that will be too brittle. I want something that will last all year round in the Florida weather, but at the same time, be somewhat movable if need be. I was hoping that I could get some suggestions from the great prop builders here as to what I could cover it with. I am open to any ideas, it doesn't have to be a "hard" surface as long as it will survive the weather. Here are 2 pictures of it:

IMG_20141129_162736135.jpg
IMG_20141129_162747448.jpg

Thanks again for any suggestions you all can give :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have to give great stuff a try. I didn't realize it was that "sculptable" by sanding it.

So next question is, how weather resistant would it be? I'll likely paint it but should I put something over the great stuff first?

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
That FlexSeal stuff may work. In the commercials they spray a window screen and it all fills in. I'm not sure how smooth it gets or if it's sandable.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great Stuff does not fair well in the sunshine unless it's painted. It will start to flake and get nasty. The FlexSeal is a rubber type coating that is not smooth and I don't think it's sandable since it's flexible. My first thought was to use liquid latex. You could use that as a topcoat over the foam and then paint it.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
You're not asking for prop so much as you are permanent piece, right?

Honestly, if there was ever a project asking for fibeglass, this is it.

There are several alternatives to fiberglass out and about, and possibly some foam coating systems that would work as well, but fiberglass is tried and true, proven with years of professional sculptures made from it around the world.

If you want a more 'stone' look, there are sturdier alternatives to plaster of paris. Hydrocal comes to mind. Oh, someone on here a while back posted some wierd material that might work, but I don't have the link or remember the name....I'll think on it.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think a mix of these suggestions is the way to go. First, fill him with Great Stuff foam, then sand him down so the foam is level with the screening, then cover him with white flex seal rubber and paint as needed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bondo makes a fiberglass resin jelly. It does not run and turns hard and should stand up to the outside weather conditions quite well. the biggest drawback is it sets in a few minutes. It is sandable and paintable

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Yes, Fiberglass then you can forget worrying about the "Weather". Latex comes in many different mixes and some will not do well in the sun, some formulas of it don't do well over "Time". (Hard to stop that "Time" thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts