Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,810 Posts
I assume it is about the little flags now located on the member's profiles on the left. So far, I've seen U.S., Canada, Great Britain. Have to go see if Australia and other countries have been added.

It's likely due to the IP addresses and a random update to the VS sites. As this site is now owned by a Canadian company, and has members all over the world, I'm sure it's nothing to do with geopolitical stuff and more about the global nature of the internet now as a helpful visual reminder to double check who we're talking to so we're not assuming this is a nearby neighbor - they literally could be half a world away from us!

I often feel the need to clarify I'm in the U.S. and sometimes it's very helpful if folks state their country so we can help out better (stuff we may easily find in the U.S. might be super difficult to locate in say Germany or Australia for instance).

If you're unhappy with the country flag display, maybe asking @HalloweenAdmin for an opt out might be possible?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not bothered here. I live on the Florabama line in the good ole' USA. I think it's awesome that there's folks in other countries celebrating the bestest night of the year, too. I sometimes lurk the Brit and Aussie threads just to kind of vicariously enjoy it from their unique vantage points. I haven't noticed a Canada-centris thread, yet. I like to think there are some Canadian members, too. 🦇

·
Registered
705 Posts
If you go into Settings, under Privacy, you have the option to turn this off. Scroll to the bottom, you're looking for

View your location details on your profile:
and
View your location details when you post:

Seems like it will still show it to YOU when you're logged in. But I checked in a private browsing window, and it stopped displaying the little flag when I set these two settings to "nobody". You can set it to All, Members Only, People You Follow, or Nobody.

I preferred the text to a flag, but I agree that it's a good reminder we're not all in the US

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Oh OK, you mean the flag not the thread.

I have to say, I could do without the flag as well TBH. Considering i don't have my location listed in my profile it's kind of creepy, and not in a good way.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have to say, I could do without the flag as well TBH. Considering i don't have my location listed in my profile it's kind of creepy, and not in a good way.
What a silly thing to add...I need to test a few things to see if it's something we can change in settings...
I agree. As kakugori mentioned, it can be turned off (yet is, strangely, still visible to the actual member when logged in).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Geopolitical: relating to politics, especially international relations, as influenced by geographical factors.

I have yet to see a post or discussion here on haunters political views or feelings on international relations, until now.....it’s just a flag.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I fail to see how a flag listed in your profile has anything to do with politics and international relations.

I don't mind it and think it's helpful considering I am Canadian. There are many retail outlets listed on here that we don't have. Products that are unavailable or difficult to get here etc.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I assume it is about the little flags now located on the member's profiles on the left. So far, I've seen U.S., Canada, Great Britain. Have to go see if Australia and other countries have been added.

It's likely due to the IP addresses and a random update to the VS sites. As this site is now owned by a Canadian company, and has members all over the world, I'm sure it's nothing to do with geopolitical stuff and more about the global nature of the internet now as a helpful visual reminder to double check who we're talking to so we're not assuming this is a nearby neighbor - they literally could be half a world away from us!

I often feel the need to clarify I'm in the U.S. and sometimes it's very helpful if folks state their country so we can help out better (stuff we may easily find in the U.S. might be super difficult to locate in say Germany or Australia for instance).

If you're unhappy with the country flag display, maybe asking @HalloweenAdmin for an opt out might be possible?
If you could please make mine a skull and crossbones, arghhhhh.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,441 Posts
I fail to see how a flag listed in your profile has anything to do with politics and international relations.

I don't mind it and think it's helpful considering I am Canadian. There are many retail outlets listed on here that we don't have. Products that are unavailable or difficult to get here etc.
I literally didn't notice this until this thread.

And if I had noticed I would consider it for the same reason, not everyone that belongs to this forum is from the US & they can't always get the stuff we get so it might be helpful to some.

Also if there is something you don't like about the actual workings of this place you should let an Admin or Mod know first. It might be something that can easily be fixed or changed in your own personal settings & if it isn't it can be passed on to the higher ups that created the joint.

I do wish they'd let us know about these little changes the Powers That Be make before they make them (they did notify us recently about some changes) & how to opt out/turn it off if it's possible.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Exactly. It didn’t until the OP decided to make it political.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts