Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I feel as though this season is passing before my eyes and I did not get my usual Halloween feels. My husband and I moved to NYC from the west coast this past August and downsized from a house to a tiny apartment. I also had to downsize my props and decor to my most favorite items... that being said there were very few places to display my items. In addition I have no lawn/patio/porch to display anything outside!! I've also heard from fellow New Yorkers that kids usually trick or treat at the local stores which may mean I will have no kids knocking at my door! :( Just feeling very "not in the spirit" and wondering if any of you are having similar feelings or tricks to bump up the feels! Thanks for reading :eek:

P.S. on the upside I will being attending a Halloween Party this Saturday which hopefully boost my morale! hah.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
We use to live in a gated, mostly professionals, condo complex and got very, very few ToTers. We moved from there to a single family home with a yard and in a family neighborhood with lots of ToTers. So I do understand. When we lived in the condo I did make use of the windows that faced out where people might see them and decorated our small balcony and our front door. Decorating inside also helped pick up the spirit.

I will say that while I feel kind of compelled to be at home handing out candy now that we have a house, I also wish we were free to go take in the halloween spirit elsewhere. Glad you have the party to attend. You just need to look for other ways to welcome it in. Being in NYC you just need to find the Halloween in-spots.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I get it. I moved from a smallish town in the suburbs where I got 100s of trick or treaters to the downtown core of Vancouver into a high rise condo on the 40th floor. It's definitely not the same but I still decorate and host a lot of dinners, cocktail and movie nights. I'm a makeup artist by day and drag queen by night so I do get to experience a lot of the Halloween spirit by doing makeup for adults and kids this time of year and then the parties at night time and seeing everyone dressed up. I don't know what kind of things you are into but there is a lot to do in large cities at Halloween time - it just might not be the same as having a house to decorate and hand out candy at. That's something I'll always miss

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ghost of Spookie,

I agree with searching for other ways to embrace Halloween here, I'm sure next year will be great. Someone listed a Halloween parade which I will have to go. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
A large City, packed full of people, versus a two-lane County blacktop, walking long distances between farm houses, in mostly dark where shadows multiply so quickly as the little ones struggle to not look into that tiny grave yard from 160 years ago and four-legged real animals keep their distance but make sounds of walking, yipping,rustling...a baby rabbit screams! RUN!
The lonely landscape turns thoughts inward and personally up-setting, and little sister can't run very fast, big brother, why didn't You wait for her?
A car is coming, someone will help me!
A fist-full of burning fuses say a loud "Hello" to the night as teenage laughter finds some small evil-thrill, and crouching in the ditch doesn't seem too "Fun".
Consoling one's self with the thought:"Little sister could be somewhat "evil' (As evidenced by her laugh )Maybe they won't care if i lost her?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,299 Posts
there are lots of threads of this type from time to time--and i say that not to marginalize what you're feeling, but to let you know you aren't alone.

i get this way sometimes myself. i often have grand plans, and lots of anticipation, for our annual halloween party, and it seems it often fails to live up. two things i've learned recently that have changed my perspective:

1) the anticipation itself, and the preparation, is to be enjoyed. i've spent hours on here and on pinterest and in stores, looking at and thinking about things i want to do. that was enjoyable even if the event itself doesn't quite turn out completely as planned. the party is always fun even if it's not like it is in my head. don't pin all your feelings on the outcome, enjoy the process too. a far greater percentage of one's life is spent in the process than in the outcome.

2) whatever your situation is, own it, enjoy it, and build on it. for my entire life, christmas eve was at my grandparents' house--it's all i've ever known. my grandparents went into a nursing home last year, and last week my grandmother died. it occurred to me the other day that that tradition is over and won't ever come back, so my wife and i decided to make a new one, and we're planning to have my family over to our place for christmas eve this year. my point? traditions start somewhere--start one this year. find a halloween event or something to do that makes you happy, and in the future, keep doing that until you want to move on and do something else.

this is a fun time of year and i hope you enjoy it to the fullest. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You make a great point Dane! "1" That is one thing I did not do, I did not spend the usual hours on end looking at decor ideas or prop tutorials. Will start early next year! 2 is absolutely the way I must think about things, I suppose making new traditions will be the fun part. Change is something to be embraced I suppose! Thanks guys this has really helped.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I second the Village Halloween Parade. I used to go every year and it is AMAZING. People always come up with such creative costumes and it always inspired me.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'm 67 yrs. old. My Parents, my Grandparents, my Great Uncle and Aunt, my Aunts are all dead. My Cousin is happy to not leave her home, many,many hours from here, her Son I haven't seen nor heard from in at least 25 years,
My Great Uncle was So lucky! He got to be in not one, but both World Wars! As was my Dad.(WW2 only)
I don't miss the one "Tradition" that almost got started when my Sister secretly stirred a new ingredient into the gravy, a small dog turd from my Aunt's tiny yappy pooch . We all had "Gravy", except for our little Brother who was an accomplice .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Spookster. Are you still in NYC? I live here and am full of halloween secrets :)
In addition to the parade, some buildings do have TOTs come through. I usually only get about 14 but that means I can hand out crazier goodies! For my building (Harlem), they let us put a sign on or by our doors to mark that we are open to TOts (essentially our porch light). Maybe your building would be into starting something like that?
Unrelated to that, there are usually a few great haunts, if you are game to leave the city a little then Sleepy Hollow has amazing things, and we have a few bars with year round creepy themes. If you want to message me on the side and let me know more what you're in to maybe I can help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Graveyard!

Thanks for the response, I had 4 TOTs, two kids that came by twice haha. I ended up eating most of the candy I purchased and we went out to a Halloween Party in Midtown (had a blast.) I could put a sign down stairs that lets the kiddos know that we have candy, thanks for the idea. I have been to Sleepy Hollow, but going there in October is a GREAT idea as well!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
we're still unpacking moving boxes and most of our Halloween stuff is still in storage in another state. I don't think i'm gonna pull it together this year. It makes me a little sad and i doubt tht we'll get many, if any, ToTers. It makes me kind of sad but it is what it is...I'll just blow it out next year.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Graveyard!

Thanks for the response, I had 4 TOTs, two kids that came by twice haha. I ended up eating most of the candy I purchased and we went out to a Halloween Party in Midtown (had a blast.) I could put a sign down stairs that lets the kiddos know that we have candy, thanks for the idea. I have been to Sleepy Hollow, but going there in October is a GREAT idea as well!
Yay! So glad you had a nice first year! Yeah Sleepy Hollow has a good haunt, beautiful graveyard tours, and the pumpkin blaze! I've only done some of it, but it's super fun and I've been checking things off each year.
There are also ghost tours in the village, fancy parties in the big cemetery in Brooklyn (my brain is blanking on the name) and for the list of creepy bars restaurants:
Jekyll and Hyde (very touristy but campy/fun)
Beetlehouse (Tim burton theme-avoid food it's just okay)
Ichabod's (upscale, much lighter theming. Lovely but pricy food)
They also have a location around he corner called Headless Horseman
Lovecraft (if you're into that)
The slaughtered lamb (American werewolf in London)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts