Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered these really cool Rock-em-Sock-em Skull Light-up Pens. As I go through the box- making up treat bags, NONE of the pens write OR light up!!!

I have enough toy/candy treats to cover - but what should I do about the skull pens? Just the Rock-em Sock-em part works- and that's still pretty cool. But at the same time- I don't want to give out pens that don't write. I even sat by the stove and painstakingly heated the tips. No good. :(

I have 72 pieces and vow never to buy anything from www.novelties-company.com again!

Should I just put them out in a bin in addition to the treat bags? Add them in?

rats rats rats rats rats.
:mad:

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Oh that sucks. I'm so sorry!

Where did you buy them? I've never heard of Noveltees, and it's not coming up in a google for that name. I ask just in case anyone else is looking to buy from them in the future... should be aware they have bad products. I know it's too late to get them replaced, but can't you get your money back (return them)? I absolutely would dispute the charge if they refuse since your entire order was defective.

I wouldn't give them out tho. I wouldn't want to get something that didn't work even if they looked cool. :(

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry- It's www.novelties-company.com. I corrected it in the original post. It is over 90 days since I ordered- so I think I am out of luck. I like to order toys in June or July since school is out and there are no holidays. Prices usually drop then.

Registered
I think we all at one time or another fall into the forgot-to-check-item-out-when-getting category. I know I have a few props that I haven't unboxed for various reasons. Only thing I can think of is to take a pen with you to an office supply store and see if you can buy some refills, if not to give out now then to give out next year if there's not enough time or you can't locate the right refill.

Registered
I bought several hundreds of pens with "Ravens Grin" on them, which also included the Pterodactyl.
They went very quickly, so much so that the second weekend people had their hands out expecting to be given another one.
I managed to save a few for a possible special occasion, like maybe a kid's Birthday party ?
The opportunity arose, a kid's Birthday party! Wanting to make everyone feel "Special", i was giving each kid their own pen at the exit.
I handed a boy a pen, he looked me in the eye and using both hands he twisted it back and forth several times, breaking it in half!?
Then he threw it down and said, "Give me another one!"
Nope.

Registered
I bought several hundreds of pens with "Ravens Grin" on them, which also included the Pterodactyl.
They went very quickly, so much so that the second weekend people had their hands out expecting to be given another one.
I managed to save a few for a possible special occasion, like maybe a kid's Birthday party ?
The opportunity arose, a kid's Birthday party! Wanting to make everyone feel "Special", i was giving each kid their own pen at the exit.
I handed a boy a pen, he looked me in the eye and using both hands he twisted it back and forth several times, breaking it in half!?
Then he threw it down and said, "Give me another one!"
Nope.
What a horrible child

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
OK- even removing and BOILING the pen inserts proved fruitless.

So in addition to the prepared treat bags, I was going to put the duds out in a bin with a sign saying they didn't write- letting the TOTers to have at it. But then I thought - since the pens will be no deader next year, there could be a slight chance of picking up a cheap gross of new refill inserts. Failing that - the bin can happen next year.

Still mad though! :mad:

For picture only: https://www.amazon.com/Boxing-Skeleton-Silver-Skull-Light/dp/B00V0GFVK2

Registered
If you can find the right pen ink replacement (dimensions need to match up and not always as easy as you think it should be--know from experience with a favorite type of pen and searching through Staples for one), think about canabalizing a pen pack from Dollar Tree. If it works, probably the cheapest route.

They are cool looking pens. Now to get them to write. Sometimes the simpliest of things can be the hardest.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
SOLVED!!!

After poking a wire into the pen's plastic shaft, I could see that the ink was pretty gunky and wasn't to be shifted or reconstituted by boiling water. LUCKILY- I am one of those cheapskates that refills my own printer cartridges for a few pennies instead of buying costly ink cartridges. So I decided to try my ink refill syringe after clearing the gunk with a wire. PRESTO!!!!! A WORKING PEN!

Will also try syringing in a dose of ink dissolver tonight and leaving it overnight. Can't be wasting daylight right now... and don't know if I'll have time for 72- but at least there appears to be a solution!

Cheapskates rule! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts