Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finally got a jumping spider this year, and when I was testing it out our six month old German Shepherd came in and activated it. He took off like he had been hit by lightning and is terrified of it. He has a bad habit of getting into the kitchen trash can at night, so my son suggested we park the spider next to the trashcan with the foot pad in front of it so when the puppy walks up to it he'll activate it.

We put the spider next to the trash can Halloween night, and no more late night messes. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's hilarious! I also have a spot where I don't want the cats to jump up on. Nothing has worked to keep them off until I put the motion-activated, talking skeleton there. Now that area is a cat-free zone year round. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
GREAT PROP! The Jumping spider and all of its [sister/brother] props are fantastic. The life size Gemmys are impressive and cool, but they rarely actually scare anyone. We have several of these jumping props throughout our haunt and they illicit plenty of screams. Our Spider room has a dropping spider at the left that sets off the jumping spider at the TOP of the adjacent wall. The only pic we have of this area this year doesn't show the dropping spider (just to the left of the edge of the pic) but does show the jumping spider up high above the wall.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was the first year we did self-service candy. We had the kids walk up to a huge candy bowl, and while they were picking out what they wanted my son, dressed up as Michael Myers, would sneak up behind them. The bowl sat on an old wood table we had, and what we're thinking of doing next year is get the jumping snake prop, and mounting it under the table so it'll come up through the table top and into a fake bowl of candy.

For the bowl we're going to fill it about halfway with foam, then put a cardboard disk on the foam and glue foam filled candy wrappers and Nerds boxes to the disk so it'll look like a real bowl filled with candy. The center of the disk will be cut out with an irregular-shaped hole, and a hinged cover will cover the hole. If everything works right, the bowl will look like it's filled with candy, then when the kids reach inside they'll trigger the snake, and it'll come flying up through the center of the bowl at them. :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ah, the incredible jumping spider! I put our casket on saw horses and have a sit-up figure inside. Underneath I have black material strung between the saw horses, bunched up in the middle to allow room for a jumping spider.At first I had the sit-up figure on a foot pad, the spider sound activated, so hen they hit the foot pad the sit-up would occur then after a breif delay the spider would jump. Only problem was the spider would jump at any sounds, killing the suprise effect. I reset it so either my neighbor or I would operate the 2 tricks via foot pedal, first the sit-up then the spider. Pretty effective.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We finally got a jumping spider this year, and when I was testing it out our six month old German Shepherd came in and activated it. He took off like he had been hit by lightning and is terrified of it. He has a bad habit of getting into the kitchen trash can at night, so my son suggested we park the spider next to the trashcan with the foot pad in front of it so when the puppy walks up to it he'll activate it.

We put the spider next to the trash can Halloween night, and no more late night messes. :)
THAT SOUNDS FREAKIN' HILARIOUS, I want to buy one to keep my cats off the kitchen counter now! LOL!

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
I thought that was a brilliant idea. I almost decided to try it myself until I noticed one of my dogs "killed" one of my drop down spiders! ;) :D
My Daughter's dog chewed up 2 or 3 plastic fuzzy tarantulas Mrs. Skellington has placed around the living room. My 2 other dogs didn't touch anything.

A friend also requested I make something using my electronic and mechanical skills to keep the deer out of his shrubs. I'm starting to think this may be the thing that let's me retire and do Halloween full time.

How about a Jumping Spider deer scare device? BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

·
Spooky Express
661 Posts

Brilliant idea! My cats get into trash cans a lot as well. Maybe I should buy a Jumping Spider and step pad for them too. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts