Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our house 3yrs ago and have been storing our Halloween stuff in the attic since then. Last year we bought an animated grim reaper and after Halloween stuck him up there with the rest of the props. A couple days ago I start getting the stuff down and when I went to put the reaper together I noticed the head looked strange. Seems the head warped over the summer and now leans to the left. It still spins but is lopsided. Lesson learned-don't store your props in the attic if they have any major plastic parts. Anyone else have this happen? Here's a before and after pic. Nothing major just bugs me.

·
Registered
605 Posts
As a collector, I know attics and basements are both bad. Attics can get very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. The extreme temps are really hard on some plastics. Basements have a tendency to get damp, unless you have a nice furnished basement. I've seen a lot of things get ruined unfortunately.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
If it helps i think it actually makes it look more realistic, rather than just a static prop, gives it character, makes it feel as if it might be an actor tilting his head.

·
Grave Rigger
982 Posts
If it helps i think it actually makes it look more realistic, rather than just a static prop, gives it character, makes it feel as if it might be an actor tilting his head.
I was going to say it looks better:D I got a ridge vent cut into my roof for the same reason. Now it only gets to 110 up there:rolleyes:

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I also store my props in my attic but not after this year. Just 2 weeks ago we took down some of the latex props and noticed that a couple of them have dry-rotted and that the foam underneath is now showing. Sad ... very sad.

This Mississippi heat is brutal!!!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yep, my attic gets hotter than hell in the summer - I have to be very careful what I store up there. Fortunately, most of my stuff is pretty heat resistant. As others have said though, I think your reaper looks very realistic now - good thing you got him down when you did though!

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
This past year we had stored the big cauldron we made for our stirring witch in a storage unit that wasn't temperature controlled. We had glued all the foam parts to the cauldron with liquid nails and everything came unglued while in storage. This year it will stay in the basement.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts