Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
They said it would happen, and I didn't believe it.

My sister liked the picture that I took of my house, that showed the fog that shouldn't be there. We live across from a now-empty funeral home, so, she suggested that I go out tonight and take some pictures of the funeral home, to see if anything showed up on them. I know, having "fog" in a photo doesn't mean it's paranormal. It just seemed like a fun thing to do, so I did it.

I realized that I took the first picture with flash, so I went out later to take a second picture.

Just in time to see some teenage girl run up into my yard, and run off with one of my solar lights!

I threw that door open and told her she better bring that **** thing back right **** now! She dropped it and kept running. She was with one of four groups of people who were out a little earlier, when I took the first pic. They ranged from young adults down to little kids, like five years old. Out walking with glow sticks in their hands, making all kinds of noise at 10:30 pm. One of the little kids who was with her brought my light back.

I had to bring everything in. If she's going to steal a solar light, shes' going to come back and steal whatever she can.

Why do jerks have to ruin it for everyone?

And, the whole group she was with was carrying different things, one lady had a pumpkin. Sorry, you don't walk around at 10:30 pm for an entire two block radius carrying a pumpkin. So they're out there stealing from whoever they can.

I posted about it on our newspaper's Facebook page. I hope they get caught, they deserve it.

I'm just glad that I was already in the doorway that second that she decided to show her true colors.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I fully plan to mount nature cameras on my front yard trees. I haven't had any problems thus far *knock on wood* but I'm also a paranoid guy when it comes to idiots and pranksters. It IS sad that there are people out there who get a rush from causing problems to others.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
that sucks. i live in a pretty small town (read population less than 450) and its something even i worry about. more families with kids moving in and since my niece and nephew spent the summer with me they attracted kids to my house and one of them is less than desireable.. i dont think he would steal from me but if anything goes missing i know wich 3 houses im hitting up first to recover my goods.

you can just set up halloween night and take it down once the lights go out.

·
Banned
2,717 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. The moment something like that happens to me I am throwing in the towel. Luckily nothing has happened to my house yet. However, a I heard that the people a few blocks away got their Halloween blow-ups cut last year and kids cut the extension cords in their yard. I can't believe people would do things like that. Here we are trying our best to keep this holiday alive and keep the tradition going just so kids or whoever can come and steal and vandalize. I have noticed that another house a few blocks away did not decorate at all this year. I wonder if something happened to them last year and they decided to throw in the towel. I know a lot of people will say to not let "them" win but I put too much work and dedication into my display to just have it ruined again and again. So far people have been respectable.
A few years ago I opened up the inside of my house to anyone who wanted to walk through. Big mistake as a group of teenagers trashed a lot of my props and then decided to insult. I will never again open up the inside of my house to anyone on Halloween.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
This is why I do a full blown charity haunt, but at home, only do what can be set up and broken down the same day. No matter where you live in the cities and suburbs, there are always kids who will steal or vandalize your stuff. At least with the charity haunt, I can deduct damages as an expense from the gross revenues. Fortunately, Nobody has ever vandalized anything during the haunts.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
you can just set up halloween night and take it down once the lights go out.
Pain in the keister, but that is what I also do, since I do not trust people in the slightest.

That is terrible, LairMistress. Glad that you managed to catch the moron in the act and still have your light, at least. I hope that they attempt to do something similar at a person of authority's house, since that is generally what is required before something is done.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The thing about decorating on he 31st is, I don't think I can. My son is having his second set of casts taken off that day, and he hasn't been walking much yet. He has CP and didn't walk well to begin with. He spent 6 wks in full leg casts after 5 surgeries on each leg, and couldn't bear weight the whole time. Then two weeks ago, he got calf-high casts and is able to bear weight, but is afraid to walk with the casts. I've had to make him do it, but it's very slow-going. I'm not sure that he'll just be able to get around on his own the day that the casts come off. If not, then I'll have to stay inside with him in case he tries to get up, to make sure that he doesn't fall.

We have Halloween on the 30th, too. I work that day, so I won't be able to put much out that night when I get home.

Honestly, this made me realize why people do trunk or treat events.

We just bought this house over the summer, and it seems like I can't make my yard look nice, or decorate for a holiday, without some jerks messing it up. The lady next door said it's been happening for a long time. I've had these lights out there for months, so I just figured that whoever had been doing it had either outgrown the pranks, or moved away (been incarcerated, however you want to look at it). Seems I was wrong.

I posted about it on our local newspaper's FB page, and a couple of other people in the neighborhood spoke up and said they saw them too. One of the people said that she saw them last night, and recognized them as her neighbors. At least people know who they are, but that's not stopping them. What they're taking isn't worth enough for the police to get involved, I guess. Pretty much all they can do is tell them to go home if they're out after curfew. But, if they have adults with them like they did last night, they can still be out, because they're "supervised".

It's a shame, because the very little kids who were with them are probably going to get hurt somehow while they're doing this.

Being brand new to the neighborhood, right now it feels like I can't have anything in my yard at all, if I want to keep it.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,335 Posts
I'd definitely let the cops know, make a report of some sort. It needs to be on record officially. They start with your yard & move on to bigger & better things.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
Hey LairMistress I was so sorry to read about this this morning. My heart sank for you. If the neighbors know who the kids are, the police really should pay them a visit. Doing this in clear daylight says a lot and if the police don't from a standpoint of thinking they need to step in and at least put the kids and their parents on notice, well it's just going to escalate into cars and home burglaries.

Aside from the outside can you decorate your windows from the inside? I remember we both said we decorated the day of and after seeing what the kids were doing I too would be hesitant to put my stuff out. When I know we are going to have rainy weather for halloween I really try to make the effort to decorate the windows inside more and you can do that in advance and the little hoodlums are kept at bay.

With the casts coming off and all (hope that goes well and he gets to standing and walking better soon) you have a lot to contend with this year. i'd say go for the windows and the inside where the family can enjoy it.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
The thing about decorating on he 31st is, I don't think I can.

Being brand new to the neighborhood, right now it feels like I can't have anything in my yard at all, if I want to keep it.
Never say never. In my yard, I hang some witch lanterns in the trees, some cobweb and spiders in the bushes, and I'll sit in a chair next to my coffin, which is where the candy will be. I'll have a skeleton inside holding the candy bowl, and it is all set up so that green lights turn on and a scream plays whenever the casket is opened. I might also include a few aoandons (a Japanese paper lantern monster) hanging from the gutters if I finish them in time. This year, my set up and break down will take less than 2 hours and I'll be able to give all the kids a nice fright.

Yes, one neighbor thinks that they're the ones who stole the bike that her son got for his birthday a couple of weeks ago. It was on their porch.
Bikes are actually usually an outside job, outsiders who come into the neighborhood, steal several dozen bikes in the course of a few days, and vanish. Your bike ends up in a pawn shop (or if nice enough, a "legit" bike shop) hundreds of miles away. This happens in my neighborhood every 3-5 years. The best solution is to keep the bikes out of sight of the street when they aren't being ridden, day or night. Thanks to my useless, lazy sister borrowing bikes without permission and being so lazy she would dump them on the sidewalk or tree belt when she got home, I lost about $3000 worth of bikes due to thefts between 1985 and 2000.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
The best solution is to keep the bikes out of sight of the street when they aren't being ridden, day or night. Thanks to my useless, lazy sister borrowing bikes without permission and being so lazy she would dump them on the sidewalk or tree belt when she got home, I lost about $3000 worth of bikes due to thefts between 1985 and 2000.
I had a bike stolen from out of the garage back when I was a teenager, which nothing ever came of, unfortunately, despite very likely knowing who grabbed it and reporting the incident to the police. Taking something from a wealthy company is one thing (still not condoning it), but it is far worse to steal from a person who has to work for what little they happen to have. I cannot even imagine losing that much money thanks to thieves (as well as the sibling); I know that if she were my sister, I would have pawned her...

·
Kitchen/Green Witch
6,497 Posts
I haven't had anything taken or damaged out of my yard display...yet, but we have had theft of other things in the recent past, so every time I hear anything outside near my graveyard out front, I investigate. It makes me a nervous wreck about my decorations. I check on them each morning, too, to make sure it's all still there. It's sad that we have to do this now days. If any of my decorations get stolen, I'll just cry because we can't replace them, money is too tight. Not to mention most of it was painstakingly hand made. The fence and chains we built around the parameter of our graveyard helps to keep the kids from running through it...and hopefully will help deter any too easy thefts. I mean, it's easy to step over the chains or reach over the fence...but it'd slow them down a bit and make the risk of getting caught a tiny bit higher.

F

·
0 Posts
Think High thoughts...literally! Look at your roof line, trees, windows anything out of reach and put on a good show up there. I had a friend that would get his Christmas display vandalized night after night so we didn't let them win instead we built stages that mounted to his roof filled with scenes. The neighborhood loved it and you could see it from way down the road. Just a thought I know how you feel I was hit a couple years in the old neighborhood but cameras and tenacity paid off when I let them steal and vandalize my display so I could stalk them to their home and bang on their door in person. Needless to say being 6.5 250bs male with photos of your precious little ones stealing took care of the situation. Nothing is sweeter the calmly stalking them into their own turf. HAHAHA

·
Witch of the Midwest!
912 Posts
I have a fenced yard and I still worry about my things being stolen. Or egged. I have come to the conclusion that anything I don't want stolen I have to keep inside or tie it to something. I have cable tied a few things to some trees or wooden dowels stuck in the ground, etc.

If you want to decorate, you have to either bring everything in at night, or be willing to risk something being stolen. That's the nature of the beast. My colleague said one year someone came and stole every single thing she had in her yard. And she lives in a main highway with tons of neighbors! Don't let a couple bad eggs ruin it for you. If you are going to do it, do it with the thought that sometimes, things happen.

One more suggestion: my sister kept getting her mailbox run over by vandals, and I gave her a spell book with some witch "rune" symbols for protection. She put them on the inside of the mailbox (painted them on) and it never happened again. Not sure if you believe in that stuff but there are some protective spells and spirits out there. :) Best of luck and I hope you have not lost your Halloween spirit for good! :)

They said it would happen, and I didn't believe it.

My sister liked the picture that I took of my house, that showed the fog that shouldn't be there. We live across from a now-empty funeral home, so, she suggested that I go out tonight and take some pictures of the funeral home, to see if anything showed up on them. I know, having "fog" in a photo doesn't mean it's paranormal. It just seemed like a fun thing to do, so I did it.

I realized that I took the first picture with flash, so I went out later to take a second picture.

Just in time to see some teenage girl run up into my yard, and run off with one of my solar lights!

I threw that door open and told her she better bring that **** thing back right **** now! She dropped it and kept running. She was with one of four groups of people who were out a little earlier, when I took the first pic. They ranged from young adults down to little kids, like five years old. Out walking with glow sticks in their hands, making all kinds of noise at 10:30 pm. One of the little kids who was with her brought my light back.

I had to bring everything in. If she's going to steal a solar light, shes' going to come back and steal whatever she can.

Why do jerks have to ruin it for everyone?

And, the whole group she was with was carrying different things, one lady had a pumpkin. Sorry, you don't walk around at 10:30 pm for an entire two block radius carrying a pumpkin. So they're out there stealing from whoever they can.

I posted about it on our newspaper's Facebook page. I hope they get caught, they deserve it.

I'm just glad that I was already in the doorway that second that she decided to show her true colors.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
25 Participants
mariem
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing