Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what your thoughts are on putting up a sign in the garden stating that we don't give cash for halloween, only sweets/treats?

Last year I had a ton of verbal from a few people because I was only giving chocolate and sweets, not cash...... Needless to say, they were even more irate when I refused to even give them that because of the language and abuse :D. But it put a bit of a dampner on the evening.

Since when has it been the done thing to give cash anyway? I heard lots of people complaining last year that they just don't have enough to give money to everyone who knocks at the door, and when I've gone out with my niece she's been turned away because they'd given enough money already, thank you very mcuh. The amount they give away would easily buy a few bumper bags of sweets AND leave them change in their pockets! People are just lazy, and too many kids are only about cash.

Anyway, before I go off on another great rant, I'm considering this year putting up a sign as you come up the driveway stating that we do NOT give cash, only sweets. I don't know if it's a good idea, or if it spoils the mood for the good-old-fashioned trick or treaters. I know it probably makes us a bigger target for egging and the like too, but I don't care about eggs, they clean easily enough.

All input welcomed :)

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Are you serious? Wow. That's shocking. The tradition of TOTing is candy. Not cash. I'm sure that it's mainly the spoiled ones and the brats who want cash.

I'd say go with the sign. I don't think it would entice egging, if anything it would just put them off even going to the door if they see at the end of the yard that they're going to be turned down anyway.

It's once they get to the door and are turned down they feel annoyed. But the fact they gave abuse, i'd tell them where to go and stick it themselves. But then again i'm just young enough to get away with it maybe, not legally, but i doubt the kids are going to call the police after being told off by someone they were abusing for cash, know what i mean.

Shame it has to come to this.

Doing a sign myself this year 'No costume = No candy'

Might seem mean but too many abusive louts are using the night as an excuse to get free food whilst underage drinking in the streets.

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
I've never had anyone ask for cash, that's just weird. I think I'd have a jar of pennies handy and if they asked for cash I'd give them a penny.

·
Registered
823 Posts
the first time i hear about giving money like Dan said the tradition is candy anyway i would put the sign and no matter if you put it or not some will go with the eggs . I had one last year no costume 17 years old with a skateboard i told him it's for the people with a costume and he said to me don't you see my costume is a professional skateboarder i didn't fight that one it wasn't worth it and i gave him the bag so it's not what it used to be
So again i would go for that sign and after the 31 you should come back in this thread and give us an update on how it went good luck

·
Registered
530 Posts
Wow, I've never heard of that either. I'm shocked.
I guess, faced with that situation, I'd do the same thing and post a sign...and encourage all of my neighbours to do the same!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
Well, I recall an old man with a bowl of pennies when I was a kid. It was REALLY cool to see that massive bowl and be told you could have a handfull of MONEY!!!.....until you got old enough to realize those pennies wouldn't buy you much, at least.

But, that was always the exception, not the rule. And you SURE as hell don't go ASKING for it.

I say buy some of that fake money and stuff a $3 bill in anyone's sack that asks for cash. They deserve a whole lotta nothin.

And an good spankin, but you aint allowed to do that to other people's kids.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
New one on me too, but for some reason I'm not surprised. The only money I've ever given out was spare change for the UNICEF boxes some kids used to carry while they were treating. Do they still do that? The UNICEF boxes I mean?

If you think its going to be a problem again this year, by all means, make a prominent sign and hopefully you won't be bothered by the idiots.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I never heard of such a thing!:eek:
When I was a kid, pennies and nickels would allow for a trip to the penny candy store. There is no such thing today.!
You can't buy a candy bar for the small change that is given when cash is handed out in my neighborhood. As a kid, I would much rather have the candy.

I hand out glow necklaces, bracelets, and full size candy bars. It that's not enough, they can walk right past my house.
IMO, complaining about what you get for free is just plain shameful!!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yet another one here that's baffled by this. I've never heard of people giving out cash much less people giving other flack for not doing so.

I hate ot admit it, but that sort of behavior if it happened frequently enough would inspire me to shut down my haunt entirely and turn off the lights.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Give them coal. Tell them it's a preview for there winter holiday if they expect so much from a stranger.

Personally, I'd prefer to get candy cause that's simply the point of TOTing and I can eat it.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Never heard of this either, but my neighborhood is not quite lower middle class, mostly rentals, so noone here would be giving away cash. I would just call them out for being rude, not give them candy, and tell them go go home and ask mom and dad for some manners. If they became abusive, well, there is always the hose, or a bucket of water near the door. Have fun with it, dfon't let it ruin your night.
I only had one really rude one our 1st year who was not statisfied with the handful of candy I gave her, and it was a handfull. The 12 or so brat looked comtemptous, said "comeon dude", thrusting her open bag in my face. I blinked, and said no, and moved on to the next kid. Since then, I have not given out the candy, we did it during the haunt, and most have been too scared to be rude....

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,852 Posts
I've never had that happen!:eek:

I would post the sign - if it seems to be really popular in your area to give money instead of candy, it would make sense and those TOTs that are out for cash can skip your house.

Sorry, but that really pisses me off - how DARE they get rude about what they are given if it's CANDY???

(where the heck are you that this is so common?)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've never heard of any ToT asking for cash, other than "trick or treat for unicef". If it's prevalent in your area, I'd put up a sign that said "Traditional Halloween Candy Treats only".

If you wanted to have fun with the spoiled brats that demand cash, you could always mix up a pot of spaghetti, load it up with melted butter and oil and sprinkle a few coins in. "You can have all the coins you can find in the worms in the pot. But, you can only put your hand in once and take it out once."

Craig

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
selz must be in London, it's become pretty common in that area of the world to give cash or for the kids to demand cash and not treats. The Times has run articles or opinion pieces on the americanized halloween taking away from Guy Fawkes Night as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,657 Posts
New one on me too, but for some reason I'm not surprised. The only money I've ever given out was spare change for the UNICEF boxes some kids used to carry while they were treating. Do they still do that? The UNICEF boxes I mean?

If you think its going to be a problem again this year, by all means, make a prominent sign and hopefully you won't be bothered by the idiots.

I see a commercial advertising TOT for Unicef every year. Have never seen a kid with the box, though.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I've never heard of any ToT asking for cash, other than "trick or treat for unicef". If it's prevalent in your area, I'd put up a sign that said "Traditional Halloween Candy Treats only".

If you wanted to have fun with the spoiled brats that demand cash, you could always mix up a pot of spaghetti, load it up with melted butter and oil and sprinkle a few coins in. "You can have all the coins you can find in the worms in the pot. But, you can only put your hand in once and take it out once."

Craig
Excellent idea! :D

The UNICEF boxes used to be given out at school, but I have no idea if they still do that. Probably considered offense to some special interest group now.

We don't get any TOT where I am. Brits are a miserable bunch. ;) But Guy Fawkes or as its more commonly known now, Bonfire Night, is always fun.

·
Registered
12,918 Posts
Never hear of anything like that here and I have lived in three different states. Maybe it is a UK thing.

Hallmark and some of the Halloween stores around here have the UNICEF boxes.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wow have never heard of getting/giving cash for ToT'ers... Chase the rude lil buggers off your yard with a chainsaw.. hehehe that'll learn em..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts