Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would pass this along. It's a field guide to the various styles of tombstones at Greenwood Cemetery. It was written by Jason Holm and, if you click on the links within the text, has some great photo examples of the various styles he discusses in the paper.

Nineteenth Century Mortuary Architectural Styles and Greenwood Cemetery

At the bottom of his paper, there is a link to the general page for Greenwood Cemetery. This page includes several sections and also has sub-pages with good information and photos.

Greenwood Cemetery Contents

·
Shadow box dancer
1,394 Posts
I was completely assuming that this was in Washington when I clicked on the link. Only to see it is Iowa. OOps. But, cool link though.

So I Googled Greenwood WA to see if it was technically a city or a neighborhood, and I found out that the Greenwood in Seattle is a neighborhood and that there is a city called Greenwood as well in Spokane County. There are some ghost town pics of it.

Greenwood - Washington Ghost Town

So I learned three new things because of your post! :)

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
This makes me think of my archaeology class. Our prof had us go and categorize the patterns for which types of stones fit for which dates. I wonder where I put all my old binders!?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Greenwood Cemetery in Spokane is home to the 1000 Steps. A haunted stair case that is patrolled by the local cops and the cemetery groundskeepers.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Our local cemetary

Is on the hill just maybe 250 yards away, 6,400 graves begining around 1840?
My Great-great-Grandfather's stone is about 18 foot high with my last name on it:"Warfield".
He was born in 1796, not born around here then, I am fairly sure.
I think the graveyard is located there because it's on a big lump of clay full of rocks, making for very poor farm land. Pity the grave diggers though.
The graveyard has a small river that wraps around it on three sides with steep hills and cliffs making it a lonely place.
50 years ago our Chief of Police, while on duty saw a UFO land there.
He was terrorized!

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts
Thats a spooky looking cemetary! My friend in Riverside CA has a spooky looking cemetary on 13th street(really its on 13th street..) which is very creepy as there are very old and unkept grounds with no fences around the outer perimeter. Here is a link to it www.evergreen-cemetery.info and she lives directly across the street from it! Spooky during some foggy nights...

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts
Oh they did add fences and did a restoration in mid 2008. I was last there in 2007... It was very spooky if you look at before restoration pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts