1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts
I never had a doubt it was a Halloween movie. I saw it first run & it premiered in October, not December of 1993.

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember when we saw it in the theater a few years back. New Years Eve I think. Late night showing. Didn't have plans and had wanted to see it on the big screen. Nice way to start the year.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts

·
Registered
14,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ohhh, nice find! However no where really close to me this time. But thanks for the link and the heads up. I'd love to see it again on the big screen.

For people in the San Francisco area from what I could tell it will be showing in Dublin, Santa Cruz, and Berkeley. Playing north in Fairfield, Auburn, Roseville, El Dorado Hills, Sacramento and Stockton. Can't believe we don't have more listings directly here in the SF Bay Area. :(

Since I know we have a lot of California haunters on here thought I would check around the rest of the state the best I could. Here's what I found:

I noticed the affiliated Edwards Theater name and remembered when we were down on the central coast this summer seeing a couple of movies down there so did a bit more checking. Playing in Santa Maria. Seemed to be it for the central coast area (checking from Paso Robles to Santa Barbara).

Central Valley you can see it in Fresno at 2 locations. Also playing in Modesto, Turlock, Merced, Bakersfield.

For Southern Calif you guys have a lot of showings locations. Seeing listings in Simi Valley, Calabasas, Santa Clarita, Long Beach, San Bernadino, Ontario, Eastvale, West Covina, Corona, Brea, La Habra, Garden Grove, Temecula, Rancho Mirage, Chula Vista, El Cajon, San Diego, Escondido, San Marcos, Carlsbad, Los Angeles and South Gate.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
That's the wrong question.

It's about what is missing from Jack's life. What is making him sad is that he has something missing and doesn't know what it is.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts
Another question is "Who was Jack before he was The Pumpkin King?"

It's something I'd never thought about honestly & I think I just have always assumed he was like all the other holiday characters in that forest of Holiday Trees, Santa, The Easter Bunny, etc., he just EXISTS, he wasn't a human that became Jack, he has always just existed or some other omnipotent sentient being created him for the holiday or maybe the holiday "created" him.

I know there are video game stories that give an early history of Jack & his kingdom, but I don't think his origins have ever really been discussed.

The other MAJOR question is:
WHY HAVEN'T THEY ADAPTED THIS AS A BIG BROADWAY MUSICAL!?!?!

It makes me crazy they haven't when Disney has done so many others.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,113 Posts
That's the wrong question.

It's about what is missing from Jack's life. What is making him sad is that he has something missing and doesn't know what it is.
It sounds odd but I definitely related to Jack the second I saw the movie. I saw it at a time when I was just getting bored with Halloween & the expectations of being "The Halloween House" brought with it. It just seemed like I was just on lather-rinse-repeat & not really feeling it all anymore. Just going through the motions because it was expected of me.

I think that was what Jack was feeling & seeing another world that was so drastically different from his own, seeing something new & different, really got him exicted & got his creative juices bubblin again. But then we know the consequences of all of that.

He realized that he wasn't Santa, that wasn't his calling, he was THE PUMPKIN KING!! & that was his forte, not Christmas but Halloween, & since he was The King he was going to be the best dang king a Halloween kingdom could have.

I totally understand all of that & the fact that it took a cartoon movie for me to figure it out is crazy but that was what worked for me. I realized that Halloween was MY thing & I did it better than, at the very least, anyone on our street, & I should just stop fighting it & embrace it fully.

So I did & here I am, posting on a Halloween forum while wearing a Sam Heimer/Ben Cooper Frankenstein shirt with black leggings that have pumpkins, skulls & bats all over them, gushing over a movie from 1993 like a kid!:D Next year will be the 25th anniversary of it, I wonder what they'll have in store?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts