Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This took less than 30 minutes to do. I started with one of the cheap oil lamps like this - http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloraSense-Hurricane-Oil-Lantern-Black/16783700 - from Walmart. I started by removing the wick and crank assembly, which pretty much will just pop out with a little leverage. Just toss this part in the trash, it wont be of any further use. Then I took snips and pliers and cut away the domed part that the wick protrudes through. I just did a quick rough job on this since it will be covered. It should look like this when done.

Next I took a LED votive candle, one of the larger ones that already looks like a candle, treated with hot glue to look like dripping wax, and carefully glued it to a large metal washer so that the battery compartment and on/off switch are still accessible through the opening underneath. (extra washer in the pic is for comparison.)

Once that is done the washer/votive assembly is simply set in place of the wick dome, then put the glass back in place and close up the lamp. The glass should hold the washer/votive in place securely.

A very quick and inexpensive way to do a hurricane lamp.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Very nice Nighfisher. I have about 30 of these lanterns throughout the trails in the Haunted Forest and I have lit them using lamp oil as fuel. This year I will be converting to this LED candle in each of them. The lanterns were really only for decoragion anyway and this will really be a lot better.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol, I just used that big washer because it was all I could find that was already the right size with a hole in the middle. Next option was going to be to cut a base out of plastic or thin plywood. A small jar lid or cutting the bottom off of a plastic cup would probably work pretty good too. Just don't forget to make a hole big enough to get to the battery compartment and switch.

·
Disney Inspired
837 Posts
Nice work! To highlight the candle (the wax part) it might give it an extra creepy affect if you stuck a UV or Blue LED at the top facing down. The hot glue really looks cool under black light.

·
Registered
401 Posts
This is way cool, and something that is so satisfying to see once done. I'm a hot glue fanatic so I'm really digging the look on the candles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That's great, I just got a few laterns at a yardsale this weekend and I was thinking of redoing them, I'm still debating weather going with this or hardwiring it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
15 Participants
cyberpred
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing