Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
skull pens.jpg I try to always buy next year's treats right after Halloween to get the best deals. Got a very good deal on these babies- skull boxing light-up pens - along with some foam flyers. All good to go for 2016! Anybody else buy their treats far in advance?

·
Registered
764 Posts
We went out the day after Halloween and bought 2000 pieces of candy all for $40 and it is all chocolate too....... cant beat the after sales....

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've bought candies like Skittles and Nerds over a year ahead, but never chocolate. I SOOOO shouldn't admit to doing this- but after taste-testing some Halloween Skittles and confirming that they tasted perfect, I have been known to remove the Sell-By date from the packaging. Shhhhh!

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
Along those lines, I know for a fact that gummies last at least two years past, in case anyone is wondering what is best to buy and then forget about:D

·
Registered
764 Posts
I've bought candies like Skittles and Nerds over a year ahead, but never chocolate. I SOOOO shouldn't admit to doing this- but after taste-testing some Halloween Skittles and confirming that they tasted perfect, I have been known to remove the Sell-By date from the packaging. Shhhhh!
I think with all the chemicals and preservatives in candy it does last a year. I have eaten candy left over from the prior Halloween..... im still alive LOL! :D

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fortune cookies definitely get stale if bought too far ahead.

My Nerds were two years out because I forgot them last year and only found them this. The Sweet Tart Taffy wasn't bad- but was too hard to give away.

I am much happier now that I switched to mostly toys. I spend less than I would on candy. The foam flyers were $1.50 a dozen and the above pictured skull pens were $4.00 a dozen. With less than 100 TOT, I can keep a good inventory of toys and rotate through them each year. I usually add about 120 new toys to the mix every other year. The only ones that must be given out in a current year are the light-up variety. So Halloween 2016 treats will be 48 of those light-up skull pens and 60 other (foam flyers, plush and wooden segmented snakes, paddle-balls, jumping spiders.) With an abundance of foam airplanes, those are always my go-to overage.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
That skull pen is great!

When I do special toys or a special candy theme I can't find in stores (for instance, vintage candy), I order ahead. Last year I just handed out full-size candy bars so, no ordering required. But for example the year I did pirate treasure chests I ordered the plastic chests, necklaces, and spyglasses from Oriental Trading.

I may do a more involved "treat bag" (or box!) theme again this year. We'll see, though!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts