Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My name is Chase. I am new here and wanted to get some opinions on prop building.

I want to build my first ever prop for this Halloween 2014. I need something simple and affordable. Do you guys have any tips or opinions on what I should do for my first prop?

I don't have many tools and I am not very creative. Thanks for the info in advance.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Something big or small? Indoors or out? Moving or static? Scary or not? Do you have a theme you'd like to go with?

There are tons of things that can be made pretty cheap and easy. Just give us a rough idea what you want to build.

Edited: Found my favorite prop to recommend to those just getting into Halloween.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-and-step-by-step/91927-quick-easy-armature.html?highlight=tomato

Hit up yard sales for some old clothes and tomato cages and the dollar stores for masks, and you can have a whole yard full of zombies for less than $50. Instead of the Styrofoam heads you can use gallon plastic milk jugs. There are also ideas in that thread to make them full height with a second cage.

·
Registered
696 Posts
1st off welcome to the forum! And thank you for posting.

I agree with Screaming Demons. Your request is a little vague. Can you narrow it down a bit?
What kind of budget do you have? Are we talking <$100 or < $10. Either way, I am sure we can come up with something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey

Thanks for the info guys.

I would like the prop to be medium to large. I would say $100.00 is a good ballpark.

I want it to be scary. I don't like "cute" stuff. I like horror, blood, gore and stuff like that.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Making a prop for under $100 is not too hard. Although, blood and gore is not my thing. The basic concepts are the same.
It sounds to me like you are looking for a standing static prop. There are many tutorials on making a prop with a PVC armature. They range from simple to very complex. http://www.halloweenmonsterlist.info/ is a great place to start. Just find a prop that matches your talent and budget. And have fun. One of the key things to remember is "Darkness is your friend." This does not mean anything satanic. It means the darkness hides many mistakes.

I made this whole prop for under $100.

On mine, I made the skull and hands myself, but you can buy a hair dresser head and add any mask you want. For hands they are just wire, paper and tape. You can always add gore by tossing a little red pain on it. The clothing I got from the thrift store( for under $15.).

The hard part is planning out your build. Putting it together is really not that hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome. Thanks guys I really appreciate the information. I am just glad I found other Halloween fans!

I have decided to make a cauldron creep. I finished the frame last night. I am going to go for a witch instead of a skeleton though.

Once I finish it I will be sure to upload some video for you guys.

Thanks again and everyone have an awesome Halloween!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
That's a great prop, and not as difficult as many people make it sound. You just have to follow the steps, but there are a lot of steps. Let us know if you need any help.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Adding my 2 cents, look into Spider Hills Zombie kit.
they include the difficult parts, I think tools needed are minimum.
There is a thread of a member getting the kit, assembling and a final video.
you get the joints, the motor, and the plans, you need to buy the pvc, cut add head mask and clothing.
I have the joints but have only looked at the kit on line and here on the forum.
Plus, Spider Hills is a forum member

1 - 10 of 10 Posts