Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first year I’m really able to set something up for Halloween. I’m usually working on Halloween night :( Last year I corpsed a skeleton and had some strobes up and some severed heads, but this year I’m going for actual props.
Anywho, I thought I would post some of my newbie moves as I go along. Thought maybe others just starting out would appreciate it and the vets may find it humorous. :)

Today, I took a bold move and started to make my PVC candles. I figured how tough can it be. Expandable foam and PVC. Geezzzz..

I cut my PVC in varied lengths with no issues. Next I opened the can of Great Stuff and noticed the warning on the top of the can to wear gloves and eye protection. Bahhhhhh whatever I thought and began filling the PVC. It came out of the can much faster than I thought it would and frankly kinda scared me. On my fourth or so candle the nozzle that connects to the can was off kilter and began spraying out the sides as I filled. I would even say it exploded a couple times sending great stuff onto my forearms. I pushed on though cuz heck; I’m practically a tough guy… LOL, MISTAKE !!! My hands were very sticky, and great stuff was stuck all over in the hair of my arms. Ohh no, I felt like the little kid on The Christmas Story when he shoots his BB gun and it breaks his glasses and is scared his mom will find out. I thought my wife can’t see this.. LOL

By the time I began to wash the foam off my arms, it was too late. So I read the can. (I know, a little late for that now) acetone will remove the stickiness but anything else has to be mechanically removed or wait for it to dissipate over time.
In the end, the acetone took away the stickiness on my hands and arms, but I do have some bare spots where hair once was. Sure glad wifey doesn’t have an account here. Let’s keep it a secret between you and me. :)

Lesson learned: Wear eye protection and gloves when dealing with expandable foam.. :)

That is all..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Barry. I think if I do it again I would use that method for sure.

I got a small circular saw and a jigsaw for my birthday... This could be an interesting year...... LOL

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Olive/Canola/Baby oil will work. I used Canola worked for me back in the day. Also, works to get spray paint off too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
@Barry. I think if I do it again I would use that method for sure.

I got a small circular saw and a jigsaw for my birthday... This could be an interesting year...... LOL
Just make sure you are more careful with the power tools, great stuff can be annoying but a circular saw and jig saw can leave you with a nickname of stumpy. :D

For my candles I just used a slightly smaller piece of pvc inside the larger one and glued a piece near the top to hold the flicker candle. this also allows for drainage so your flicker candle doesn't sit in water if it rains or if there is heavy dew.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I feel your pain. I too just finished the PVC filling. Being the impatient type, I started poking at it hours later. Noe the tops are normally hard, but the bottom, which is laying on wax paper, is just waiting for you to pick it up and futse around with it. Sure enough a glob fell out and on to my shirt, arm, fingers...ugh.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Kermit - I have a full beard as I am the town Santa. I wear a dickie (fake turtleneck) bandana, and a face sheild when messing with that "great"stuff. I'd rather not get any on me anywhere, but that beard takes way too long to grow back!
HM

·
Registered
355 Posts
LOLOLOL!!! I love Great Stuff stories!!! I've only messed with it on a few occasions and it IS scary when it starts shooting out of the can uncontrollably!
I think my favorite Great Stuff story was told by someone on the forum, who had a big blob of it, that they decided to stomp on, thinking it was dry and it exploded all over the place b/c the inside was still wet!!!! Hilarious.
Hope your candels came out ok for all that you had to endure =) Hang in there newbie! You'll get it!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've used it at work before, gloves are a good thing. I filled up my buddies lunch cooler with it before. I'm sure his sandwiches stayed cool for hours that day.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I feel your pain Kermit...not that I've gotten expanding foam on my hands or stuck in the hair on my arms...at least not that you know of...:rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts