Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I said in another topic a couple weeks ago, I have a plan to make myself a few more tombstones and I had a lot of styrofoam pieces given to me at work that I hate to see go to the dump, so I have been making some kid friendly tombstones to give away as well. I just used some pumpkin stencils to make the stones. People around here seem to get creeped out really easily so these should be generic enough. The "keepers" and the "give aways" are all mixed in the work space pics. I am not spending a lot of time making them fancy but just want to be able to give them away on the local Buy Sell & Trade website. Unemployment around here is at about 95% so I want to encourage people who don't have any money to decorate for Halloween and I figure if I give them away there is no reason NOT to decorate. Sneaky...:D

I have three left to finish but have finished 20 others. Some of them are cheap smaller tombstones that I added to other styrofoam pieces to beef them up. The styrofoam was free from work, I already had the paint and mudding compound etc and the small store bought tombstones only cost about $4-$6 so I got 23 tombstones for next to nothing.

ZZZ.jpg
Work Station 1.jpg
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0446.jpg

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Everyone.

I am working on four stones for myself (works in progress), these are the "keepers" that were original ideas from others. I think I got ideas from pics I saw on Pinterest but I am pretty sure they were originally done by members here. I just thought they were awesome and decided to try my own additions to my cemetery. I hope whoever created the original stones doesn't mind me doing them.

Flower Monument RIP 3.jpg
Used thrift store pie plate and plastic Christmas ornament
Precious 4.jpg
IMG_0481.jpg
Tall Tombstone 2.jpg

Marie

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
These are all fantastic and very well done. I remember making mine out of cereal boxes and paint, years ago. Still have them but they look extremely amateurish in comparison!

Reactions: mariem

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice job on those stones, the store bought ones look so much better when beefed up and that cooler could come in handy. Fog chiller, cold beverage.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well this is my last stone. I have to add some moss to cover the bottom of the cross since it won't sit right.

#4H.jpg

I am going to have surgery on Thursday to remove yet another tumor so I guess I am done carving tombstones for this Halloween.

Marie

·
Registered
48 Posts
These look amazing! Great job! I have a question... how do you make them stand up? I have some I bought at Party City (styrofoam) and I can't get them to stand up. Every year I duct tape them to a bamboo stick... but they always fall down (the tape peels away). Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The stand alone stones have holes drilled on the bottom and I use dowels in the ground to stake them so they don't get blown over. The stones like the one with the head have 2x4 or 2x6 pieces of wood screwed onto the front and back of the stone to help add weight and I also screw plumbing clips to the back of the wood piece so I can hammer a tent stake into the ground (add clips where they can't be easily seen). The tombstones that are made from coolers have a weight of some sort placed inside them since I don't have to worry about breaking anything off and I can carry it around by the side handles.

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0589.jpg

Marie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts